Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   got destroyed at LJ 2/15 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28280)

pingpangdang 02-15-2016 08:49 PM

got destroyed at LJ 2/15

My reel (okuma trio 55) which I used to catch suzuki size Japanese sea bass while living in Japan for a few years didn't last but a few hours in the water. My graphite rod that could handle some suzuki sized sea bass was no better than a fisher price barbie pole today.

The plan was to save up for a quality rod and real and hope the trio could at least pull in a small YT while waiting for a big purchase instead of buying discounted junk.

Dropped a big green back to the bottom. It was calm for the first few seconds then the tip started to get eratic then boom.

Couldn't turn the fish w/ the junk rod. It felt like a ton and would pull drag if I began to make any headway. My rod was making all kinds of cracking noises and any more pressure it definitely would have snapped. Not enough backbone to get it off the bottom where it seemed to like hanging out. No kelp on the FF and w/ the short runs back to the bottom it was something big.

Since the rod was not helping at all I figured I could muscle crank it. Got a few good turns and when it seemed like progress was made it would go screech back down all the while feeling like a ton.

Muscle cranked some more then bam my reel snapped from the rod. Bent the screws and broke the aluminum posts the screws went through. I tried to keep reeling but couldn't via the handle because it was now bent. Started to just twist the top manually with my hand to take in line with the barbie pole rod end lodged under my hammy and the rod on my quad. Then my rod guide busted and soon after that it was over.

I have pics of the reel and have not read how to upload them yet.

Breaking a reel this way is a first for me. If I had a proper rod the reel might not have cracked like this but it probably would of destroyed the guts of the reel anyways.

TheBoyScout 02-15-2016 08:53 PM

At least you got some action! Haha
I was out there with a buddy and saw no action of any kind. Sorry about your gear tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ful-rac 02-15-2016 08:54 PM

That'll teach ya!

Deamon 02-15-2016 09:14 PM

Lobster trap! Lol

YOYOYaker 02-15-2016 09:45 PM

Sounds like it might have been a black seabass. They usually want to stay right near the bottom, coming to the surface only after going into stress and floating up, after a slow, but powerful fight. :reel:

pingpangdang 02-15-2016 09:48 PM

I've done some rock fishing in the past and got hung on both lobster trap lines and heavy kelp. Those two will bend your rod with the rise of a wave and even take drag but just for the rise. Predictable and rhytmic with wave action. Can always do the slack line test as well. This thing felt like a heavy ray. I've never landed a bsb...not sure how those fight.

pingpangdang 02-15-2016 09:53 PM

I've done some rock fishing in the past and got hung on both lobster trap lines and heavy kelp. Those two will bend your rod with the rise of a wave and even take drag but just for the rise. Predictable and rhytmic with wave action. Can always do the slack line test as well. This thing felt like a heavy ray. I've never landed a bsb...not sure how those fight.

Mr. NiceGuy 02-16-2016 01:20 AM

Okuma Trio ... isn't that a medium weight spinning reel?

I looked up suzuki size Japanese sea bass --- they look equivalent to catching corvina in the bays. Okuma Trio should have been good for that with 12# line.

Sounds like it could have also served as your sabiki pole.

Now you have a good excuse to upgrade to the equipment you need.

Getting a new pole and reel always feels good :-)

maquinapescado 02-16-2016 06:38 AM

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/penn--...FY-DaQodiPUEvQ

Just get one. I can guarantee that set up has caught more YT in SoCal than you'll ever see in you life. Good ole jig master

cris 02-16-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maquinapescado (Post 253685)
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/penn--...FY-DaQodiPUEvQ

Just get one. I can guarantee that set up has caught more YT in SoCal than you'll ever see in you life. Good ole jig master

Can confirm the above advice. Have spent the last 25 years trying to break my father's jigmaster and senator reels. Still trying. Will report when successful but don't hold your breath.

StinkyMatt 02-16-2016 10:16 AM

Rocks, kelp or lobster pot.

In the absence of photos...you get no "fish credit".

:D

It must have still be a lot of fun.

joezee1986 02-16-2016 11:24 AM

For what's it's worth I have a Okuma Azores 55 mounted on a Makaira spinning Rod 701mh. I can let you have it for 230 with 60 lb braid. Got some yellows and dorados on it used it twice with poppers. 9-10 condition

ful-rac 02-16-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 253695)
Rocks, kelp or lobster pot.
In the absence of photos...you get no "fish credit".

Matt's got a weird accent now since he moved back east....

I'll have to translate that for you...

What he means to say is...

"no pics di'nt hapend"

pingpangdang 02-16-2016 12:15 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. BWE has been a great source of info including mistakes made. Looking through BWE I decided to go with a penn 500 reel and tiger ugly stik. ..picked them up at WM. Didn't want to break the bank as I have a list of other bills to take care of first. Been deployed 5 times in the last seven years missing the prime hot months for yt. Now I can finally put some time on the water. Stoked

pingpangdang 02-16-2016 12:35 PM

I put posts not to brag about catches or potential catches but for info I.e this is what will happen if you... If BWE reports just had pictures of fish I could just look at Google images to look at fish photos as they all look the same. definitely not a guy who needs a pat on the back for catching a fish. I like reading the reports here that describe methods on how the fish were caught or how to land certain species so I can get better. Constantly learning from the good and bad things people post. Not everyone that views BWE are expert anglers. If I knew it all already I wouldn't be reading through these forums.

2-Stix 02-16-2016 03:40 PM

Kick ass on the new penn set up. I know lots of old timers that have run that real for 25 years. And thanks for serving our country.

Ps- don't mind the comments "no pictures didn't happen" goods dudes poking fun and just kidding around. Blessings, Josh

Geno Machino 02-16-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 253709)
I put posts not to brag about catches or potential catches but for info I.e this is what will happen if you... If BWE reports just had pictures of fish I could just look at Google images to look at fish photos as they all look the same. definitely not a guy who needs a pat on the back for catching a fish. I like reading the reports here that describe methods on how the fish were caught or how to land certain species so I can get better. Constantly learning from the good and bad things people post. Not everyone that views BWE are expert anglers. If I knew it all already I wouldn't be reading through these forums.

X2

Geno

Mr. NiceGuy 02-16-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 253707)
Thanks all for the feedback. BWE has been a great source of info including mistakes made. Looking through BWE I decided to go with a penn 500 reel and tiger ugly stik. ..picked them up at WM. Didn't want to break the bank as I have a list of other bills to take care of first. Been deployed 5 times in the last seven years missing the prime hot months for yt. Now I can finally put some time on the water. Stoked

You will be so happy the next time you hook up with a big fish. Your new gear can handle what lurks on the bottom. 65# braid is important for La Jolla too. It doesn't curl like mono, it lasts MUCH longer, and it will cut through kelp. Get some 40# fluorocarbon leader to round out your new setup.

I have a Penn Jigmaster on my 2nd pole because I've always had it and it always works. I think it's one of the first reels I've ever owned. In the meantime, other reels have come and gone. I think my oldest rod that's still in good shape is also an Ugly Stick. The one I have is too long for my kayak, but it's still in great shape after all these years.

Phishphood 02-16-2016 07:17 PM

Sounds like my hookup with a bsb last week.

stoned-trout 02-18-2016 10:19 AM

the fish won that round....