Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ATAK 140 Looking for experienced opinions. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28366)

speedydk 02-25-2016 08:32 AM

ATAK 140 Looking for experienced opinions.

Hi All,
I have mostly been lurking and living vicariously through you all for the last few years as I have not been out very much. But I was considering getting a new yak and the one that has my attention right now is the Wildy ATAK 140. I want something I can stand up on easily as I am learning to fly fish and was even thinking about taking up bow fishing. I would like to get feedback from others on the ATAK vs some of the other yaks I was considering like the Jackson Big Rig, Malibu Stealth 14. I know they are not going to be fast yaks but the best paddling of the over 30" wide rides would be nice to know. I also like the idea the ATAK is low profile to be more wind tolerant, any comments on others?. I currently paddle a Malibu X13 and the low profile is something I have always liked. Love my X13 and its not going up for sale but its really not good for stand up activities at least not for me. Not a big fan of the mirage drive so no need to go that way either.

Mahigeer 02-25-2016 09:39 AM

The Malibu Xfactor that I am selling is 33" wide.

Check it out on the sale board.

Kaleb 02-25-2016 04:00 PM

Check the 2016 seaghost 130!

Iceman 02-25-2016 04:48 PM

Darrin, I have one and we are hosting a demo day March 12th Saturday after Fred Hall 10am -3pm come by and try it.

easyday 02-25-2016 09:47 PM

Definitely stop by the demo sale and try one out. The sloped sides really shed the wind well. As for a stable platform, on a paddling kayak you can't get much more stable. Also if you add the stand up support bar it's a awesome platform to fish from, especially fly fishing.

speedydk 02-26-2016 06:41 AM

Thanks for the responses all. I have been looking at the ATAK since last year and the price has been holding me back really. I had not seen the Vibe Sea Ghost until this morning. I looked it up and it sounds very intriguing especially in that price range. But having previously purchased Wliderness before I know the quality/durability is there (looking forward to using the newer seat too) . Past experience means a lot to me. Not sure who even carries the Vibe line? But I have found a line on a used ATAK and will be going that way. I will be looking to add the leaning bar for sure! It is another of the reasons the ATAK has been so appealing to me. The only other wide ride I have had was a Malibu mini-x it does not track well at all for me and I quickly upgraded. I purchased it at my favorite shop OEX in Sunset Beach when I first started. Still have it though it has had very little use since I purchased the X13 (still my favorite after about 6-7 yrs or so)which I also purchased from OEX Sunset. Gotta luv that place! Andy has always had the best customer service and helpful tips! Will post again once I get the new ride and get it on the water. Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Iceman 02-26-2016 07:03 AM

Darrin, Vibe is in a few big box stores, not really any dealers selling them locally. I get the impression that they are an offshoot of feel Free, made in Taiwan or China and imported. I really don't like any company that seems to just try to be the cheapest, corners are cut.