Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thanksgiving in Bahia Asuncion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32282)

rossman 11-30-2017 04:38 AM

Thanksgiving in Bahia Asuncion

4 Attachment(s)
Another Thanksgiving fishing and yellfest in Bahia Asuncion is drawing to a close. This year I had Deamon, Mitchel, Druko, CON KSO, Patrick,who is a winter resident at Camp Rene near Abreojos, and Mark Mizak, a firefighter from Montana. Conspicuously absent and missed were Makobob and Jeff Lowe. Roger, John and Patrick left after a couple days and fished at Campo Rene. Leaving fish to find fish is not always a good idea but it worked out well for them.

That left Jim, Mitchell, Mark and myself to chase the Asuncion fish. The fishing turned out to be stellar, matching the weather. While we were concentrating on the yellowtail, there were some impressive by catches and as I mentioned before, most were within a mile and a half paddle from the launch. I went long in my tin boat on one day and managed to land a wahoo, my second of the season. We managed to land a couple nice dorado which seem to be thick as fleas right now. Mitchell hooked and lost 5 yesterday and saw many many more from his kayak. The most unusual catch was made by Mark Mizak who was jigging for yellowtail in 100 ft of water in Jim's boat near the island and hooked and landed a nice 19 lb yellowfin tuna. The total count on the yellowtail was right around 70. Mostly in the 18 to 25 pound range but a few chunkier models, but no rats. Lots and lots of big fish lost to the rocks. I personally lost about 10 of the Salas 6x jrs being rocked by fish that were simply unstoppable. Everyone else experienced the same sort of tackle loss. Too many bonito and chunky skipjack tuna to count. Oh, and I almost forgot, Jim and I each caught a 25 lb class white sea bass. The first I have landed down here. No halibut this year because no one fished for them, and no Marlin because no one saw any. Without a doubt the best fishing we have experienced on these Thanksgiving get together's.

We celebrated with a lobster dinner last night.

Attachment 22719

Attachment 22720

Attachment 22721

Attachment 22722

YakHanded 11-30-2017 07:51 AM

..... :notworthy::cheers1:

Denis_Ruso 11-30-2017 07:54 AM

Wow, looks like I'm going to need more vacation time.

SDROB 11-30-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 288518)
Wow, looks like I'm going to need more vacation time.

That's the only reason I haven't made it down there yet.

Epic session! Way to get em Ross! I haven't seen my boy Deamon for a while now, Im glad to see he's doing good.

ProfessorLongArms 11-30-2017 08:35 AM

Daaaaaamn. Thanks for the share! I can’t wait to get down

makobob 11-30-2017 10:29 AM

Congratulations you guys rocked it, and got rocked too. Tight Lines amigos.

Druko 11-30-2017 11:25 AM

Awesome report Ross! See you next Summer and Fall

SDROB 11-30-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druko (Post 288530)
Awesome report Ross! See you next Summer and Fall

Summertime would be nice! I can probably do 4th of July week.

BigLouSD 11-30-2017 02:16 PM

Great report! Love the pictures. Sounds like an epic trip!:luxhello:

EastLosYaker 11-30-2017 03:16 PM

Great job fellas! A great time with great people! :jig:

Ggiannig89 11-30-2017 04:01 PM

I’d love to do this next year!

CON KSO 11-30-2017 04:41 PM

We had a good time fishing the island too! But we needed to leave to make the fishing turn truly epic... that's the way it works. See you in two weeks - keep the those fish hanging around!

DanaPT 11-30-2017 05:11 PM

WOW what a great post. 1 day i'm gonna do that.

Nice to see Deamon the :wsb:slayer on the board again. :luxhello:

ceviche eater 11-30-2017 09:06 PM

WOW Congrats!!! How doe sign up???

MrPukaShell 12-01-2017 03:18 AM

Epic

MITCHELL 12-02-2017 03:37 AM

Glad it was lobster seaon.....

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 288516)
Another Thanksgiving fishing and yellfest in Bahia Asuncion is drawing to a close. This year I had Deamon, Mitchel, Druko, CON KSO, Patrick,who is a winter resident at Camp Rene near Abreojos, and Mark Mizak, a firefighter from Montana. Conspicuously absent and missed were Makobob and Jeff Lowe. Roger, John and Patrick left after a couple days and fished at Campo Rene. Leaving fish to find fish is not always a good idea but it worked out well for them.

That left Jim, Mitchell, Mark and myself to chase the Asuncion fish. The fishing turned out to be stellar, matching the weather. While we were concentrating on the yellowtail, there were some impressive by catches and as I mentioned before, most were within a mile and a half paddle from the launch. I went long in my tin boat on one day and managed to land a wahoo, my second of the season. We managed to land a couple nice dorado which seem to be thick as fleas right now. Mitchell hooked and lost 5 yesterday and saw many many more from his kayak. The most unusual catch was made by Mark Mizak who was jigging for yellowtail in 100 ft of water in Jim's boat near the island and hooked and landed a nice 19 lb yellowfin tuna. The total count on the yellowtail was right around 70. Mostly in the 18 to 25 pound range but a few chunkier models, but no rats. Lots and lots of big fish lost to the rocks. I personally lost about 10 of the Salas 6x jrs being rocked by fish that were simply unstoppable. Everyone else experienced the same sort of tackle loss. Too many bonito and chunky skipjack tuna to count. Oh, and I almost forgot, Jim and I each caught a 25 lb class white sea bass. The first I have landed down here. No halibut this year because no one fished for them, and no Marlin because no one saw any. Without a doubt the best fishing we have experienced on these Thanksgiving get together's.

We celebrated with a lobster dinner last

Attachment 22719

Attachment 22720

Attachment 22721

Attachment 22722

Yummy......

MITCHELL 12-02-2017 03:46 AM

Please release me let me go.........

2 Attachment(s)
:D

MITCHELL 12-02-2017 03:54 AM

Thanks Ross your hospitality is over the top.....

3 Attachment(s)
Your a dream maker....3x3+2=11
And special thanks to iron man JIM:D

MITCHELL 12-02-2017 04:01 AM

My fish was frozen when I got home.....

Way cool.....freezer to freeze ;)

Deamon 12-02-2017 09:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDROB (Post 288520)
I haven't seen my boy Deamon for a while now, Im glad to see he's doing good.

Thanks for the mention Robbie! Kind of switch over to a skiff but haven't fully nixed yakking from my future...some day Brotha!

One thing about Rossman...yeah, he's a nice guy...opens his home to pretty much anyone....he'll offer you his last beer and even pay for your lobster dinner...the dude gives up his honey holes, NO PROB...

BUT...after he's laid all this out...and it's the day you fish with him...you arrive to the spot ready to go...you're like all relaxed and chill...Rossman shifts into this mad-dog hyper hard fishing machine and he'll run your fish catch to shame, if you let him...:the_finger: