Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sail Fish (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27383)

ctfphoto 10-18-2015 08:35 AM

Sail Fish

1 Attachment(s)
So I decided to go to La Jolla Saturday to try for some yellows and try out my new sail while fishing on my new Outback. Andy set my wife and I up with two sails and a new outback. We have been sailing in the bay and I wanted to try La Jolla as there is always an afternoon westerly wind that could bring me back to the shores on wind only.

I take my time getting out as this is a test run. Run into two guys on a boat who ask if I have a pair of sharp dikes as one has a huge treble hook through his finger, ouch looks like he pulled a Yani. I did not but learned that I should have sharp dikes around.

Onto making bait, kinda hard but get two greenies and decide its time to fish. Start trolling around and get both my baits short bit by yellows. No live bait left, wind picking up, time to sail around and look for bait fish. Couldn’t find any so what the heck, let’s go drop some squid down for rockfish. Start rock fishing and before long slam, cool a huge rock fish or lingcod coming up. Big fighting fish, cool. See color and it’s a nice large 18 inch Calico. I do not target calico anymore, but love the taste and decided to harvest this one, the only one this year I think. The fish looked very tasty.

So I got dinner, getting windy, time to sail in and see how she does.

Run into these two guys fishing their very first time in a canoe and give them some fishing tips. A few minutes later they flip, and ocean rescue time! (See other Thread).

After that epic event, I decided to go back to the launch on wind alone. This works awesome. Would be great at the end of a very long day. I average about 2 miles an hour with the wind which is slower than peddling but very relaxing. Dang, shouda brought a cold beer.

Stowed the sail upright and landed peddling in and caught a big wave. Finally getting used to landing the outback. Sailing Rudder helps for sure.

Time for a tasty dinner …….

DanaPT 10-18-2015 10:50 AM

oh man

Was hoping for something different. Kind of feel cheated.

ctfphoto 10-18-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 244984)
Was hoping for something different. Kind of feel cheated.

LMAO as that was the plan .......

......prolly get a thousand disappointed views :D

King Saba 10-18-2015 11:47 AM

Darn clickbait. lol That sure is one nice "sail fish" though.

Deamon 10-18-2015 12:12 PM

What "tips" did you give them to make them sink out? Doesn't sound very friendly like...
"You gotta stand up to see feeding fish"
"That canoe will move along faster if you two move to the back as far as you can..."
"Don't let the swell hit your bow, geez...let it hit you two broadside"

Jim

HobieScot 10-18-2015 04:14 PM

Or both lean to the same side at the same time, the more you lean the tighter the turn

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

bolocop 10-18-2015 04:17 PM

Nice saw you out there. Tons of short bites as well. Nice calico!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokinBass 10-18-2015 06:58 PM

You got me to. Nice cali!

alanw 10-18-2015 07:14 PM

Yea wasn't what I was expecting. Is that "sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length" registered? :the_finger:

YTHunter 10-18-2015 08:22 PM

Good post. Thanks!

Iceman 10-19-2015 02:39 PM

pretty sure Hobies get away with not registering when sailing as it is not the primary propulsion.

Kind of a gray area. Sailing in with a stogie in hand is very relaxing :D

MITCHELL 10-19-2015 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep....FUN

alanw 10-20-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 245069)
pretty sure Hobies get away with not registering when sailing as it is not the primary propulsion.

Kind of a gray area. Sailing in with a stogie in hand is very relaxing :D

I like your reasoning Andy. So, if a trolling motor isn't your primary propulsion, then.... hmm

ctfphoto 10-21-2015 06:58 AM

1000 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Saba Slayer 10-21-2015 05:47 PM

Adventure Island

This is sort of a threadjack...!
WOW...sailing the Hobie stuff is a great experience..the Adventure Island is FUN!!!!

I tried sailing the 2015 Adventure Island today down in Newport harbor...what a blast...so much fun!
This is my next Hobie Fishing Team boat.
I can't wait to fish and hoopnet off this new yak...my 2014 PA14 will be on the market as soon as it shows up!
I'll keep the 2015 PA14 for serious hooping and fishing, cuz there's nothing like that stable platform!
I can't wait to get a new Yak!

ctfphoto 10-24-2015 03:05 PM

Jim, the AI looks like a kick in the pants

Does the 2016 have new seats?

Told the wife we need one and she rolled her eyes.....:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 245254)
This is sort of a threadjack...!
WOW...sailing the Hobie stuff is a great experience..the Adventure Island is FUN!!!!

I tried sailing the 2015 Adventure Island today down in Newport harbor...what a blast...so much fun!
This is my next Hobie Fishing Team boat.
I can't wait to fish and hoopnet off this new yak...my 2014 PA14 will be on the market as soon as it shows up!
I'll keep the 2015 PA14 for serious hooping and fishing, cuz there's nothing like that stable platform!
I can't wait to get a new Yak!

ctfphoto 10-24-2015 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of today's sail fish ......

Iceman 10-24-2015 03:33 PM

Very color coordinated Chris! For what ever reason sheephead is my wife's favorite fish :D

MattRabasco 10-24-2015 04:18 PM

Nice goat! I love it steamed with peanut sauce. Glad to see you are enjoying the new sail kit!

ctfphoto 10-24-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 245559)
Very color coordinated Chris! For what ever reason sheephead is my wife's favorite fish :D

Andy, I tried sheepshead on my wife so many times and always failed to the point where she said to no longer bring them home. Then I consulted my personal chef, Yani, and he said to make crab cakes which come out fantastic. She now says to bring them home.

I was craving crab cakes all day then I caught 3 nice rockfish. Then a yellowtail while trolling using only sail power :D

So I had too many fish and I gave the sheepshead away to my very good friend who shall remain nameless as he's like, "I'll meet you on the beach at 6AM ". He wakes up at 9 AM :eek: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D It's way cool bro, you know that.