Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   GONZAGA GOLD 18-25 October (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23705)

makobob 10-25-2014 06:41 PM

GONZAGA GOLD 18-25 October

The Baja Catch used to label good Baja fishing by Bronze, Silver and GOLD being the best. Gonzaga on the fly was GOLDEN.

This is a teaser, there will be pictures to follow and a Go Pro 4 video too. Five of us went on this trip, two caught fish on the fly, the others fished other gear.
Big fish of the trip was a 25.5 pound Cabrilla, smallest? Maybe a 5 INCH Bass or Rooster fish.

As a group of 5 fishermen one day we caught over 600+ bass, triggers and others. One day 2 guys caught over 70 Yellows by themselves, BEFORE they left feeding tails. One day two of us landed between 150 to 200 Bass each, and again walked away from feeding fish to go rest on the beach. TOO many fish, so little time.

This is a rough estimate, I guess we collectively caught and landed upwards of 2000 fish. And could have caught more had we wished.

Some of the fishermen will tell their stories soon. This was an EPIC trip, one I will never forget. SOLID GOLD. Wish you all could have been there.

makobob 10-26-2014 08:07 AM

My best fish of this trip was a Rooster, he attacked my fork/spoon on a fast retrieve. Not wanting to kill him, I tried to tail him, got him half way out of the water when he exploded, bye, bye beautiful fish. 18-20 lbs. He kept my fork.

Weather was AWESOME, nights were 70-75, days were 90-95, water temps were 82-85. Sunrises, sunsets and fishing was GOLDEN.

Fish caught were, Rose snapper, pig snapper, grunts, orange mouth corvina, leopard grouper, spotties, hog fish, leather jacket, threadfin pompano, rooster fish, skipjack tuna, dorado, needle fish and cabrilla. Might have missed one or two others too. A turtle ate a mega bait and was released to fight another day, also released was a blue footed boobie. Infact I think we only killed 6 or 7 fish this whole trip. Tight lines.

rossman 10-26-2014 08:17 AM

Five of us went on this trip, two caught fish on the fly, the others fished other gear.

Jeez I thought it was for fly fishermen only. I would have tagged along. I know how epic fall fishing can be there.

taggermike 10-26-2014 08:35 AM

That rocks. Only negative sounds like the fly fishing bite. The huge variety of fish you can catch in Baja is a just amazing. I gotta get back down there. Mike

Chuck D 10-26-2014 09:55 AM

Dorado, that's some excellent news! Can't wait for the reports:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDROB 10-26-2014 10:20 AM

I read a report on BD about Dorado in GB last night. I almost packed my bags... Glad you had a great trip Bob!

619-SWIM-DOG 10-26-2014 10:57 AM

Glad you guys had a killer trip. looking forward to hearing your tails of Baja on Nov. 8th.

rossman 10-26-2014 11:17 AM

Hey Bob, you didn't happen to see SitinsideJim down there. Guess he has been at Gonzaga for a week or so and his wife had posted on BD asking for a status on him

rossman 10-26-2014 11:19 AM

Sorry Bob, now that I think about it, you may not know him. He was down there last may the week that my son and I were there. Carry on

YakDout 10-26-2014 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a teaser until I make a solid video of the trip

Attachment 13741

walrus 10-27-2014 09:09 AM

Wow! I don't know how you kept that bruiser out of the rocks.

It looks like the fish are eating well this year. Congrats on landing that beast.
Did you catch it on a candy bar (spoon)?

YakDout 10-27-2014 09:41 AM

Caught it on a knock off mega bait. Brand was P-line I believe. Smaller jigs were working much better because the bait fish were tiny. 1-3 " silver or pink megabaits were killing it down there .

blitzburgh 10-27-2014 10:26 AM

Good lawd that's a pig! :cheers1:

walrus 10-27-2014 12:19 PM

Thanks YakDout, I already have those P-line jigs. Two weeks and I'll be there to pick up where you left off.

I thought September was good down there, but it seems to keep getting better.

tattuna 10-27-2014 04:00 PM

Any pictures of the pig snapper? I'm not familiar with it but I'd love to see what they look like.

That's a toad pinto bass!!

makobob 10-27-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tattuna (Post 209933)
Any pictures of the pig snapper? I'm not familiar with it but I'd love to see what they look like.

I don't think there is a picture of it Charles, but he had a small tube sticking out of what should be nose/nostrils.

Zed 10-27-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tattuna (Post 209933)

Yer killin me charles. Someone finally posts a pic of a true [spotted] cabrilla and you pull out pinto bass.
:doh:

More pictures!

YakDout 10-27-2014 04:56 PM

video in the works. should finish tonight

tattuna 10-27-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 209936)
Yer killin me charles. Someone finally posts a pic of a true [spotted] cabrilla and you pull out pinto bass.
:doh:

More pictures!

Same difference :D

sitinsidejim 10-31-2014 09:12 AM

gonzaga bay

to Rossman. just got back yesterday was there for two weeks. awsome trip. weather was great, fish that reef where I met you and your son last May. got rock several times 40lb. was not strong enough to stop them. fire carker yellowtail boiling all over the place catch all you wanted. biggest one was 8lbs. skipjack to 10lb, boling all over the place too. wish the were yellowfin. fun to catch. serria ate the fastrac the best .got a big one 30 to 36 inches long. caught lots of them. best lure on the boiling fish was lur jenson one and half oz. cripple minnow. the bait they were hitting on was micro bait fish match the hatch. need to up grade the hooks and split rings on the cripple minnow and fastrac then you will not have any problems. caught also big trigger fish. corvina. pompeno. spotted bass, rosterfish. cabrilla. leoperd grouper. was a great trip. fish the first week without seeing another kayaker. more people the second week, met some great people at camp, I keep them well supplyed with fish. going back in may, love that place. good luck sitinsidejim