Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Timely video la jolla report (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22605)

Dannowar 07-11-2014 12:29 PM

Timely video la jolla report

Launched from the la jolla reefs to dead flat conditions. Made our way out to the outer kelp. The second I jumped off and had one band loaded when a tanker sea bass swam directly under me. Knowing i didn't have the power to take him down, my heart broke as he swam into the thick kelp not to be seen again. The rest of the day we worked in and out of the kelp line. Got anxious with my new gun and took one 18" calico. Saw two seperate Black Sea bass I'm guessing in the two to three hundred point range EASY. Such beautiful creatures to have the priveledge of seeing up close. Wish the camera did them justice. Saw a few yellowtail in small schools (2-3) and large school of sometimes large barracuda. Anyways, my fishing methods have been different, but still, kayak related.

http://youtu.be/PpbB40lUYtc

watch in hd and keep an eye out!

Oh and thanks to the bros at OEX mission for the kayak and gun!

Iceman 07-11-2014 01:26 PM

cool video, purdy world down there!

TJones 07-11-2014 01:27 PM

Shoot first

Determine color later . :D . I will be the first yo say it . Great video . Maybe one day I might try it . Thanks for sharing .

SorryCharlie 07-11-2014 01:36 PM

Thanks for the report and awesome video.

I am still waiting to see my first bsb while diving, they just look so awesome and majestic down there in the video.

I haven't had the chance to hit LJ off the yak to dive yet.... (non of my dive buddies want to), if you're ever looking for a dive partner or don't mind an extra diver tagging along let me know!

Dannowar 07-11-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorryCharlie (Post 199880)
Thanks for the report and awesome video.

I am still waiting to see my first bsb while diving, they just look so awesome and majestic down there in the video.

I haven't had the chance to hit LJ off the yak to dive yet.... (non of my dive buddies want to), if you're ever looking for a dive partner or don't mind an extra diver tagging along let me know!

shoot me a PM with your number man!

jruiz 07-11-2014 01:43 PM

Can you describe how you prep when you dive? As in, do you suit up when you get to the dive site or are you halfway or full suited before getting there?

Dannowar 07-11-2014 01:50 PM

Just my bottoms for the paddle out. I have a 5mm suit so it's gets hot very fast. Then I put everything in when I clip to the kelp

Fish n Jeep 07-11-2014 01:58 PM

Great video! Sitting here at work dreaming of being on the water. This is the next best thing...

Question for you divers, I would love to dive like this but have never been able to clear my ears to dive deep. No matter how I try even in deep pools, guess is how Im wired, or is there a trick?

blitzburgh 07-11-2014 02:09 PM

Cool video! :cheers1: Some monsters down there

kayachapi 07-11-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish n Jeep (Post 199888)
Great video! Sitting here at work dreaming of being on the water. This is the next best thing...

Question for you divers, I would love to dive like this but have never been able to clear my ears to dive deep. No matter how I try even in deep pools, guess is how Im wired, or is there a trick?

Start shallow and clear often as you descend, the less pressure build up there is the easier it is to clear.

oneyedeer 07-11-2014 04:46 PM

Awesome vid....brings back memories of my scuba days :) to clear pressure pitch your nose and close you mouth and breath slowly....you will hear a dolphin sound thats your body releasing the pressure.....that trick works for me......but if you plan to dive at a minimum take a safety class....the dangerous part is going up too fast when you diving deep water

Smthtnnr 07-11-2014 06:17 PM

That's so awesome you shot a calico!

Rambo 07-11-2014 06:48 PM

Great video and awesome view of the kelp forest, could you provide a link to your free dive suit? Looks like a great camouflage.

sdmosch 07-11-2014 07:13 PM

Cool!

Dannowar 07-11-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smthtnnr (Post 199916)
That's so awesome you shot a calico!

and nobody even had to show me!!! Cool huh!!

DanaPT 07-11-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 199929)
and nobody even had to show me!!! Cool huh!!

ouch.

Dannowar 07-11-2014 08:24 PM

I shot a legal fish to test my new gun. The mocking tone wasn't nice. Don't step in the ring if you can't box.

FlyFishinYakr 07-11-2014 09:15 PM

Nice "Head Shot" on the Calico! :notworthy:
Thanks for taking the time to share!
FFY

Deamon 07-12-2014 04:21 AM

Danny! Very cool. Good job on the video. Get a biggie soon Holmes. Jim

GregAndrew 07-12-2014 04:55 AM

Kewl Vid Dan! Love the upward looking shot under the lit up kelp.