Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New kid in town (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25467)

mpc 05-06-2015 05:56 PM

New kid in town

Well, more like old dude. I picked up a couple of used kayaks recently to get the kids away from video games a bit more. I've been enjoying reading some of the threads and picking up on some good ideas on this site while I'm outfitting my kayak for ocean fishing.

I'm in Vista, so I'll be frequenting Oceanside Harbor for awhile until I'm a stronger paddler and get a little better prepared for a beach launch. I'm not an awesome fisherman; I have a lot to learn. Most of my fish I've taken from below as a former scuba diver. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some more time on the water as soon as life's other commitments allow.

momo fish 05-06-2015 05:59 PM

Welcome and doing the right steps so far...

Cadillyak 05-06-2015 08:27 PM

Welcome. Beware things can get addicting quick. I'm thinking about introducing a kayak anynamous group.

FISH11 05-06-2015 08:49 PM

Welcome to the addiction, if you do it right, you'll soon be spending more time with your Yak than your family.

JarrodMc 05-06-2015 09:08 PM

Welcome aboard. If you're hitting Oside, look up where the artificial reefs (ARs) are. There's usually decent fishing to be had around there.

mpc 05-07-2015 06:41 AM

Thanks. I did find some AR locations while poking around on the net.

mpc 05-13-2015 08:54 AM

LaJolla Shores Questions

Is the parking lot at LaJolla Shores open 24 hours or is it restricted to certain hours of the day? Is there a preferred beach location to put in or is the entire length of beach open for launching?

I'm hoping to be there in the early morning either this Saturday or Sunday (although I might end up back at Oceanside Harbor if I'm short on time).
Thanks.

Scoot 05-13-2015 02:44 PM

Street parking

I've only parked on the street, you can drive right
on the beach to launch!

TJones 05-13-2015 04:10 PM

Less video games

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpc (Post 227090)
Well, more like old dude. I picked up a couple of used kayaks recently to get the kids away from video games a bit more. I've been enjoying reading some of the threads and picking up on some good ideas on this site while I'm outfitting my kayak for ocean fishing.

I'm in Vista, so I'll be frequenting Oceanside Harbor for awhile until I'm a stronger paddler and get a little better prepared for a beach launch. I'm not an awesome fisherman; I have a lot to learn. Most of my fish I've taken from below as a former scuba diver. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting some more time on the water as soon as life's other commitments allow.

More family time . Amen . It's sad . When I was young , we went riding bikes , or picked up a ball . If I was lucky , I got to spend time on the water with pops . Much props . When the time is right , take the kayak to la jolla and play in surf . You will accelerate your learning curve very rapidly .

TJones 05-13-2015 04:13 PM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 227114)
Welcome to the addiction, if you do it right, you'll soon be spending more time with your Yak than your family.

:eek:.

mpc 05-13-2015 04:18 PM

Thanks. Looks like surf may be picking up by this weekend, so I'm probably better suited for another trip to Oceanside. Still getting use to having the extra gear on board.
I took my oldest padding Sunday. Ended up towing him about half the time, so he needs to get a bit stronger before he can kayak fish with me.

tacmik 05-13-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpc (Post 227605)
Is the parking lot at LaJolla Shores open 24 hours or is it restricted to certain hours of the day? Is there a preferred beach location to put in or is the entire length of beach open for launching?

I'm hoping to be there in the early morning either this Saturday or Sunday (although I might end up back at Oceanside Harbor if I'm short on time).
Thanks.

The entrance to the parking lot is usually locked at night. However they leave the exit open and you can access the lot that way. Have never been hassled or ticketed.