Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   La Jolla - 6/9/19 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34216)

summers in kuwait 06-12-2019 06:54 PM

La Jolla - 6/9/19

Been a while since I have posted anything. Went out on Sunday. Launched a little before first light. Surf was tiny and the conditions were nice. Bait was pretty easy to make with the light. Had a nice mix of greenbacks and some jack macs. Met up with Mikey near the kelp and caught up. Good to see you're doing well man!

Flylined on the inside looking for biscuit, then worked the sand for a bit. Had one large bite on the bottom, but ended up with a shredded mac.... no trap hook.

Late morning, I decided to go out and get a ling. A little West of the Southwest corner I get hit on the flyline. After a short back and forth, I pulled up a decent yellow. Fish was loaded with crab.

Setup:
Reel:Avet SX G2 Two Speed
Rod: Lamiglass Tri-flex
Line: 65 lb power pro to 30 lb fluoro (spro swivel)
2/0 J hook. all knots: San Diego Jam
Bait: Greenback

Here is some footage from that trip as well as some recent outings!
Cheers!
Todd

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LCZCTI82oAY?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FISH11 06-12-2019 07:48 PM

Hi Todd, I saw your video earlier today on the tube channel and loved it. Funny the scenario you described of the areas covered were similar to what I covered on Tuesday except for the large fish landed. Made plenty of mixed bait and had the same idea of hooking a biscuit. Instead caught several Calicos and a nice one 4-5lbs all were released. I also noticed they spit out red crabs, that's been the same for quite some time and provably why the fishing has been so spotty. Thanks again for sharing. Hoping for better results tomorrow.

fourtogo 06-12-2019 11:23 PM

Video

Nice video music also was good

remi-remi 06-13-2019 10:16 AM

Gear

How do you like the G2? Was thinking about getting one for the increased drag

"jjcawjj" 06-13-2019 06:49 PM

Love the Song you pick for the Video! 👍👍👍👍 WTG on the Fishing 🎣!!

rvonkaenel 06-14-2019 09:04 AM

Very nice post. I see you have pontoons on your kayak. I rolled my Hobie Compass the other day outside of Dana Point harbor. Lost a $300 Avet. After that experience I am thinking about the pontoons. Do you like them and do you feel they really make a difference? Thanks for any feed back.

summers in kuwait 06-15-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 301533)
Hi Todd, I saw your video earlier today on the tube channel and loved it. Funny the scenario you described of the areas covered were similar to what I covered on Tuesday except for the large fish landed. Made plenty of mixed bait and had the same idea of hooking a biscuit. Instead caught several Calicos and a nice one 4-5lbs all were released. I also noticed they spit out red crabs, that's been the same for quite some time and provably why the fishing has been so spotty. Thanks again for sharing. Hoping for better results tomorrow.

Right on Mark. Hope all is well. Thanks for the comment. I'll see you on the water!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourtogo (Post 301536)
Nice video music also was good

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by remi-remi (Post 301542)
How do you like the G2? Was thinking about getting one for the increased drag

I do like the G2. The increased drag is nice, as well as the ratcheting guide plate like the Raptor series has.

summers in kuwait 06-15-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "jjcawjj" (Post 301546)
Love the Song you pick for the Video! 👍👍👍👍 WTG on the Fishing 🎣!!

Right on, thanks!

summers in kuwait 06-15-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvonkaenel (Post 301552)
Very nice post. I see you have pontoons on your kayak. I rolled my Hobie Compass the other day outside of Dana Point harbor. Lost a $300 Avet. After that experience I am thinking about the pontoons. Do you like them and do you feel they really make a difference? Thanks for any feed back.

Sorry to hear about the Avet :( . Its not a bad idea to consider having leashes on all your gear, even if you're not just launching and landing.

I do have the pontoons or as hobie calls them "sidekick ama kit" I do like them and they will help to stabilize the kayak noticeably.
I have the Revo 16 which is the narrowest kayak that hobie makes. The width is 27.5˝. But I am very comfortable with a skinny boat (You can learn balance, but you can't make a big kayak fast) and I only use them when I'm sailing. I have sailed without, but if a large gust hits and I am not paying attention or have the main sheet tacked down, things can interesting, especially with all my gear out.

I mounted mine in the front to act like a trimaran and it works very well for sailing and Im fine when I fish like that, but not the best location if you're only using them when fishing. I would recommend mounting in the rear. They have three positions: high, mid and low so you can adjust your stability and minimize the drag in the water. They are also pretty easy to mount, store and blow up easy by mouth. I would suggest if you consider them to also look at through mounting options versus the included wellnuts. Plenty of resources on the hobie forum.

Good luck and cheers!

MikeLee 06-15-2019 07:29 PM

Great vid! And nice YT.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevie951 06-16-2019 02:05 AM

Thanks for the post. Knowledge is power.. Time to pull put those rock crab pattern jigs again.. You pulled him up vs whatever the PB's were throwing at them so cheers to you

summers in kuwait 06-18-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLee (Post 301576)
Great vid! And nice YT.

Cheers!

Thanks Mike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 301580)
Thanks for the post. Knowledge is power.. Time to pull put those rock crab pattern jigs again.. You pulled him up vs whatever the PB's were throwing at them so cheers to you

Thanks Stevie!
:cheers1:

TJones 06-19-2019 08:04 AM

THANK YOU

Fish report. :D.

TJones 06-19-2019 08:21 AM

Time on water

Quote:

Just get used to your platform. The outback is very hard to flip. I don't own a compass, but it is a hybrid of an outback and a PA. Nearly impossible to flip in favorable or normal conditions. Also, you really should have a leash on everything. Especially on something of high value, or when in unideal conditions (high swell and or high wind). When fishing in ideal or normal conditions, your go to rig in hand unleashed? Highly experienced guys, or Pro's don't leash anything. But they also have nearly a lifetime on water. Good luck. This obviously is a topic debatable on a separate post.

Vikingj 06-19-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Forget the pontoons and make/buy leashes. You don't have to leash everything- only the stuff you want to keep!

tunaseeker 06-21-2019 10:00 PM

Sweet!

summers in kuwait 07-11-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 301621)
Fish report. :D.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunaseeker (Post 301654)
Sweet!

Thanks Todd!

rvonkaenel 07-12-2019 07:17 AM

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I have leashed everything of value. Better late than never.

igotpron 07-12-2019 08:04 PM

Where did you roll your kayak you say?