Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Post your DINGBAT Fishing moments (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21475)

ChristLike 03-30-2014 09:41 PM

Post your DINGBAT Fishing moments

ding·bat (dĭng′băt′)
n.Slang An empty-headed or silly person.

1. Driving from Oceanside headed to la jolla hit Solana beach and realized I didn't have the seat for the PA. Actually thought about how difficult it would be with out it lol. Grrrrrr U TURRRRNN.

2. Fishing a slack tide in Carlsbad lagoon the very back. Was excited about fishing, i usually check before i get out. I hopped out of the kayak and sank into the mud up to my chest. Everytime I moved sank more. My buddy was with me, he couldn't pull me out, his boat was moving, broke a paddle trying to pull me. Im there stuck in the mud, my pants are coming down from the suction from trying to pull me out. The Only thing that was going through my mind was( my pants are coming down and they are gonna have to use a helicopter to get me out of here. As soon as they pull me up, my BUTT is gonna be all over the news and facebook! with all that mud. Once it gets on the internet its not mud anymore) Well the rubber boots I had on were holding me in. I lost a great pair of boots that day. Thankful the tide wasn't coming in.

3. Went back to cast, and hooked the rubber coating on my phone. cast it right in the drink. What are the freaking odds.

4. Got stuck pulled as hard as i could to break the line and the weight comes flying out and smacks me in the head. Almost fell out of the yak.

Fishwhisperer619 03-30-2014 10:01 PM

Went to a lake with my PA that only allowed sit IN kayaks...... Pissed

momo fish 03-30-2014 10:02 PM

Lol. Too funny. Can I come fish with you ? I will stay 20 yards away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Wave Dave 03-31-2014 06:10 AM

I want to fish with you Bro, it woukld make me feel better about all of the stupid things I do.

William Novotny 03-31-2014 09:09 AM

1.First kayak and first time ever on the water. Feel free gemini tandem, me sitting in the back seat with all my gear in the front seat. Started taking on water and decided I was gonna get familiar with this "surf landing" everyone is talking about. Paddled over to corona del mar tide pools with 6' breakers crashing on the beach. Got flipped and slammed pretty good coming in. Gathered my gear, minus a new promar net, and re situated my gear on the yak so I wasn't putting all my weight in the back, which was the cause of me taking on the water. Tried to get out several times through the huge sets of waves with no luck. A nice man that helped me gather my gear for the 3rd time, told me there was no way I was getting past that surf and ifi needed help up the 14 thousand fucking stares I had to conquer, then he had a truck that I could load into and drive me back to Newport Harbor. I was beaten, bruised, embarrassed, exhausted, we got up the hill and he drove me back to the harbor. I cant believe I ever went out on a second trip. First trip was the most horrible experience.

2. Caught a nice butt with no gaff or game clip on me. Gilled it into my lap and it almost bit my nutts off

Endlers 03-31-2014 09:21 AM

Was fishing last month on my birthday the 26th, I went fishing at sunset cliffs. I walked down the side of the cliff to a patch where i could drain the lizard so to speak. Slipped slammed my pinky toe and the one next to it into the side of the cliff thought nothing of it but the pain was pretty bad. Got up walked back up the cliff a little bit the next thing i got 2 guys standing over me im lying on my back. my toes REALLY hurt now. and they are asking me if i am ok.

I passed out .. had a small seisure, and woke up with 2 broken toes.

proceeded to change cloths lucky i had a change in my car. and fished for 2 more hours on my broken toes.

Carp 03-31-2014 09:37 AM

Years back, I was out fishing in Miami (first time in the salt) hooked up and landed a nice dodo while holding the fish up for a photo the fish flopped tailing me in the nuts. The fish and I go off the back of the boat losing the fish and chipping my elbow on something. I still have the chip floating around under my skin.

Last year out bass fishing in Texas made a joked about getting a spinner bait caught on my ear. The next cast my buddy buries a treble behind my ear.

momo fish 03-31-2014 09:47 AM

Post your DINGBAT Fishing moments

Have a few just embarrassed as hell. Here is one. Last year was camping at Dana point and decided to take a friend out it first time on my stealth through surf. He was military so figured it was safe. He sat in front and me in back so I could push him out. Made it out somewhat ok but the landing was another story. I failed to close the drain plug and inside was filling with water. As I'm coming back waves pick up so I decided to jump off right near breaker and while he paddles. I swim to reduce weight and stop taking on water.

Well as I go to slide off the kayak my shorts get caught in one of the things that you tie the bungee cords to. I was dangling off the side even though it ripped half my shorts off I somehow was still stuck backwards in the water. The kayak flips much to the amusement of my wife, kids and a 1,000 beach goers. The military guy freed me by ripping my shorts off. We washed on the beach with just my undies. Fun day!

William Novotny 03-31-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 188505)
Have a few just embarrassed as hell. Here is one. Last year was camping at Dana point and decided to take a friend out it first time on my stealth through surf. He was military so figured it was safe. He sat in front and me in back so I could push him out. Made it out somewhat ok but the landing was another story. I failed to close the drain plug and inside was filling with water. As I'm coming back waves pick up so I decided to jump off right near breaker and while he paddles. I swim to reduce weight and stop taking on water.

Well as I go to slide off the kayak my shorts get caught in one of the things that you tie the bungee cords to. I was dangling off the side even though it ripped half my shorts off I somehow was still stuck backwards in the water. The kayak flips much to the amusement of my wife, kids and a 1,000 beach goers. The military guy freed me by ripping my shorts off. We washed on the beach with just my undies. Fun day!

you wear undies under your swim shorts. That is embarrassing

momo fish 03-31-2014 10:13 AM

Yup. Pinkies with love ❤️. Lol

Fishwhisperer619 03-31-2014 10:21 AM

While at lake mead this 2 weekends ago my gf and her friend thought it would be funny if they hijacked my kayak so they both hopped on my pa14 and proceeded off with it. Had I known they would do something like that I wouldve tied all my rods down. They end up flipping it and I lose 4 rods. Revo premier, revo toro, new silver curado, and a cardiff all on various st croix rods. Almost ruined the trip for me but was able to recover most of it at fred hall yesterday. A

jorluivil 03-31-2014 10:22 AM

Driving in rush hour traffic from Downey to Cabrillo only to find out that I forgot my mirage drive. Had to go old school and use the paddle:mad:

asking Matt to borrow his spool of mono because I forgot mine and dropping that spool of mono in the water, I didn't realize I had dropped it until Matt asked for it about 30minutes later. Fortunately, I had enough line for my rigs, can't remember what Matt ended up using but the rest of my day went well:D

Endlers 03-31-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 (Post 188514)
While at lake mead this 2 weekends ago my gf and her friend thought it would be funny if they hijacked my kayak so they both hopped on my pa14 and proceeded off with it. Had I known they would do something like that I wouldve tied all my rods down. They end up flipping it and I lose 4 rods. Revo premier, revo toro, new silver curado, and a cardiff all on various st croix rods. Almost ruined the trip for me but was able to recover most of it at fred hall yesterday. A

when is her funeral planned?

ChristLike 04-01-2014 06:19 AM

I hope they bought you new gear. Kids do that and get away with it, not adults lol

Angh 04-01-2014 08:32 AM

I don't post a lot on here but this is way too fitting. My very first kayak fishing trip I was with two friends and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. We were trolling for yellowtail about three miles off La Jolla shores and I decided I needed to go to the bathroom. I paddled off about 200 feet and began my relief. Well, next thing I know the two other guys are furiously paddling towards me as I'm bobbing up and down in the water with my swimsuit floating off to the side and about 10 pounds of dead squid (our bait) in the water. Turns out I ruined my phone, while flipping my kayak, while taking a leak on my first trip.

todd one 04-01-2014 08:44 AM

I loaded my rods and gear in the car, drove down to the bay to realize I never loaded the kayak on the car.

dmrides 04-01-2014 09:01 AM

Once forgot the mirage drive for my revo and once forgot the seat for the PA.

But my best bonehead moment so far was to drop down a heavily weighted carolina rig mac and then start paddling without engaging the clicker. About 20 minutes later I look at my reel and see that I have about 10 or 20 yards of line left on the spool. I start reeling in the line and start to feel some tension. Reel in a little more and for a while I think I am snagged on a rock. Then the rock starts moving. Got more and more line back, but couldn't figure out what kind of fish I had; there were no tail kicks or head shakes. Maybe a shark? Anyway, finally get it to color. It was a foul hooked 36# yeller! The hook was right between the two pelvic fins and had just about torn through the skin. Go figure.

Squid Vicious 04-01-2014 09:03 AM

...a few weeks back I had put in a long day bass fishing the kelp at D P...plastics my weapon of choice...had a good limit and called it a day....end of oct I underwent a full left knee replacement...so my leg really stiffens up after a long day...back at the ramp dismounting..in a foot of water I put my left leg out of the yak to dismount...stand up and drag my right leg across the yak while leaning on the paddle...the water surges as I'm doing it and then splash all of me completely in the water...had a great audience because dismounting takes me a long while....walk of shame all the way to my truck !...ALANW knows this day....I met him at the kelp beds that afternoon

octico 04-01-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 (Post 188514)

I almost believed this one ...

Fishwhisperer619 04-01-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 188638)
I almost believed this one ...

Suggesting what?
Check my lake mead help thread