Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   South of Mission Harbor (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31542)

crashcrow 07-17-2017 09:48 AM

South of Mission Harbor

3 Attachment(s)
We headed out of Mission Bay Harbor and hung out with the half day boats off of Sunset Cliffs to test the new bait tank. Pretty rough but managed to limit on rockfish pretty quickly while waiting for something bigger to hit my greenie on the flyline... Which never happened. I really try hard not to touch my baits with my sunscreen hands... I believe that has something to do with getting bit. Anyways, fishfinder and GPS are being installed this week. Definitely going to hit Carlsbad either before or after work one day this week.

NICKWORN 07-17-2017 11:58 AM

Question

How was the current through the jetty, ive been once, in the middle of the night, scary shit man.

octico 07-17-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashcrow (Post 283006)
We headed out of Mission Bay Harbor and hung out with the half day boats off of Sunset Cliffs to test the new bait tank. Pretty rough but managed to limit on rockfish pretty quickly while waiting for something bigger to hit my greenie on the flyline... Which never happened. I really try hard not to touch my baits with my sunscreen hands... I believe that has something to do with getting bit. Anyways, fishfinder and GPS are being installed this week. Definitely going to hit Carlsbad either before or after work one day this week.

Amen, to the sun screen fear. I just wear pants and long sleeve shirts.

goldenglory18 07-17-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 283018)
Amen, to the sun screen fear. I just wear pants and long sleeve shirts.

I'm religious about putting sunscreen on my hands and feet and I've never had a problem...(click here)

:cheers1:

kirkdavis 07-17-2017 06:43 PM

Been there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 283012)
How was the current through the jetty, ive been once, in the middle of the night, scary shit man.

I've been through there quite a few times, sometimes before first light, and you are correct sir, that it can get hairy.....almost turned back in the dark one time. I try to time it so I'm not fighting the tides.
I like to start early morning, and try to avoid LJ on weekends, but if the tide is coming in on early Saturday morning, I'll brave the crowds at LJ.
The swells can really build into a chaotic mess, and fighting the tide at the same time prolongs the danger zone. I went out last Saturday and it was fairly rough but passable.

King Saba 07-17-2017 09:03 PM

How'd the live well work for you? Did it take up water well with that rubber hose? I've been putting off making mine due to laziness, but your design looks simple to make.

DanaPT 07-18-2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 283039)
How'd the live well work for you? Did it take up water well with that rubber hose? I've been putting off making mine due to laziness, but your design looks simple to make.

I use a twist on I think 1/2 inch irrigation cap that I screw on while tank is not in use (easier to move w/o water filling the tank especially in the break zone.) Whem ready for water....Unscrew cap and turn on system and good to go.

crashcrow 07-18-2017 12:06 PM

That harbor is a lot easier when you time the tides right. The Livewell worked great, working on a few more mods to get it right. Ill post a build when its dialed.