Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bait barge prices? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17853)

beef78 04-26-2013 08:04 PM

Bait barge prices?

I was planning on hitting the bait barge in the morning, but there website does't have any info on prices for a kayak size bait tank. I was wondering if anyone had better info than their website.
ALSO: I am going to be fishing out of mission bay from the two bridges to the jetty, maybe even out in the big water. If anyone sees a chubby guy with a WS t140 on top of a red jeep commander, give me a wave or a paddle by.

tacklebox 04-26-2013 09:21 PM

I think dp bait barge charges 10 for a scoop + tip. Not sure about SD.

dorado50 04-26-2013 10:36 PM

Take a $20 bill and please don't oversleep! As I am looking forward to your report from the "great" Mission Bay.:reel:

jorluivil 04-27-2013 05:53 PM

Taking a $20 bill isn't the best thing to do. Although most of the barges have change you'll make it a hell of a lot easier on them if you pay them in 5's or 10, i always carry 5's and 10's.

steveooo 04-27-2013 07:56 PM

Dana is $10. Tip $5 or more, but not less. I've heard from our bait guy that a few kayak guys stiff him on a tip after he loads them up. Don't be that guy.

If you can't stomach the $15 for bait at Dana, bring a sabiki :eek:

bus kid 04-27-2013 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry,cant help you here, Drake handles all my bait. :D
Attachment 9063

$10+$5 tip= good scoops of bait
$10+$5 tip + 6 pack = all the bait you need for the day

DanaPT 04-28-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveooo (Post 154732)
Dana is $10. Tip $5 or more, but not less. I've heard from our bait guy that a few kayak guys stiff him on a tip after he loads them up. Don't be that guy.

If you can't stomach the $15 for bait at Dana, bring a sabiki :eek:

I feel so cheap. I figured 30 or 40% but 50%, tip?

My bait tank doesn't hold that much bait. :confused:

Props to the bait guys tho. I always give them a few bucks over the base price. Lately tho. . . sabiki for me. I guess that's why I smell like a skunk.

momo fish 04-28-2013 07:44 PM

same here.., just charge 15 and cut out all the tip issues... Seems like everyone gets a tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 154779)
I feel so cheap. I figured 30 or 40% but 50%, tip?

My bait tank doesn't hold that much bait. :confused:

Props to the bait guys tho. I always give them a few bucks over the base price. Lately tho. . . sabiki for me. I guess that's why I smell like a skunk.

steveooo 04-28-2013 09:34 PM

I guess it all depends. The way I see it, it is just as much work for the guy to come over to us and give us a scoop as it is for him to give a scoop to a regular boater. They work basically for tips. Also, I'm usually first guy to the bait barge, it is still dark outside, and I'm waking the guy up by knocking on the door with my paddle. I put myself in his shoes, and figure I'd be pretty ticked to get out of my warm cozy bed for a buck or 2. Is $5 any better? Probably not, but it makes me feel better.

I've also learned this- Tip the guy decent, he learns who you are. Normal guys get the bait from one tank, usually the one with the cone. Guys who tip get the bait from the special tank that is healthy and cured, usually a few tanks away from the orange cone. Also, bait guys are usually pretty informed of where fish are being caught, and what they are being caught on. Grease the skids every once and a while and you might be surprised. Cheaper than fish dope...

Lately I've been skipping the bait barge though. Try to make a few greenbacks and go big or go home :paddleersmilie:

Dannowar 04-28-2013 09:42 PM

" I don't believe in tipping, I believe in OVER tipping "