Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lowrance hook 4 or 5? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31316)

SLYAKER 06-12-2017 12:39 PM

Lowrance hook 4 or 5?

Is the hook 5 really worth the extra $200 for an inch of screen?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SLYAKER 06-12-2017 12:45 PM

Also navi VS the new insight

goldenglory18 06-12-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLYAKER (Post 281035)
Is the hook 5 really worth the extra $200 for an inch of screen?

If you're talking a combo unit (GPS, Sonar, DSI), then the 5" min is almost mandatory. It's really, REALLY hard to use the split functions on the 4" screens.

If you are only needing a Sonar/DSI unit, and you have decent vision, then the 4" color screen units are great.

If you are thinking about getting a 4" in black and white, don't waste your $$.

WARRIORMIKE 06-12-2017 02:33 PM

Hook 7

Raskal311 06-12-2017 02:40 PM

5 mini 7 better

jbl_91762 06-12-2017 07:10 PM

you guys crack me up....OP asking for 4 or 5 which is what he wants to spend or most likely can afford and you throw in 7. Heck I want a new FF but cant afford it.

PapaDave 06-13-2017 08:17 AM

Go for the 5, works nice.

SLYAKER 06-13-2017 08:45 AM

Looks like the 4 is too small from what u guys are saying

goldenglory18 06-13-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLYAKER (Post 281089)
Looks like the 4 is too small from what u guys are saying

It really depends on the unit you are looking to get.

I had a 4" Lowrance unit that was in color and sonar only. It was EXCELLENT for water temps, depth, and bottom/structure ID'ing. I eventually wanted to upgrade to a DSI unit with GPS and I looked at about a dozen different display units, at three or four different stores all in 4" size. I just couldn't pull the trigger because the split screen function is damn near unreadable when it gets broken up that small. At the time I couldn't afford a larger screen so I never upgraded.

Now that I have the ability to get a new unit for my newest ride, and have the personal requirement to get a GPS / DSI / Sonar combo unit, I refuse to really look at anything smaller than a 5" display. For my eyes, anything smaller than that in a split screen unit is just too hard to read without focusing really hard on the screen.

Again, your eyes and the placement of the unit on your boat (I tend to put mine a bit farther away than most to keep it out of the way) will tell you what sized screen you should get. It's always better to save a little more and get the right until the first time rather than settling on something now and regretting it later (the EXACT reason I don't have one on my boat today...).

SLYAKER 06-13-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 281090)
It really depends on the unit you are looking to get.

I had a 4" Lowrance unit that was in color and sonar only. It was EXCELLENT for water temps, depth, and bottom/structure ID'ing. I eventually wanted to upgrade to a DSI unit with GPS and I looked at about a dozen different display units, at three or four different stores all in 4" size. I just couldn't pull the trigger because the split screen function is damn near unreadable when it gets broken up that small. At the time I couldn't afford a larger screen so I never upgraded.

Now that I have the ability to get a new unit for my newest ride, and have the personal requirement to get a GPS / DSI / Sonar combo unit, I refuse to really look at anything smaller than a 5" display. For my eyes, anything smaller than that in a split screen unit is just too hard to read without focusing really hard on the screen.

Again, your eyes and the placement of the unit on your boat (I tend to put mine a bit farther away than most to keep it out of the way) will tell you what sized screen you should get. It's always better to save a little more and get the right until the first time rather than settling on something now and regretting it later (the EXACT reason I don't have one on my boat today...).

Thanks i think im gunna save and get a bigger one

goldenglory18 06-13-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLYAKER (Post 281093)
Thanks i think im gunna save and get a bigger one

Good call. Also to answer your other question, I think most around here prefer the Navionics+ chip over the others. I don't have any personal experience though so I can't comment personally.....

SLYAKER 06-13-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenglory18 (Post 281095)
Good call. Also to answer your other question, I think most around here prefer the Navionics+ chip over the others. I don't have any personal experience though so I can comment personally.....

Thanks... was at basspro yesterday amd the had the navionics amd the new mapping system from lowrance amd he didnt know anything about it

ProfessorLongArms 11-17-2017 04:52 PM

Was just researching around in here, as i'm gonna pick up a sonar tomorrow....

one thing I noticed on My Lowrance Elite 5 was that even at 5" i have trouble using the split screen unless I'm really on the move.

I found I'll either check my nav then pop back over to sonar, or maybe split screen in case I see some structure on my way out somewhere.

In this case, I'm wondering if I need to get a full 5".
I could definitely see the argument being something a little smaller and out of the way makes sense in a kayak.

Size aside, does anyone have a gripe with the hook 4/5?

ProfessorLongArms 11-17-2017 04:55 PM

Also Looks like WestMarine has good prices on both right now- 199 vs 279

Ddwineguy 11-18-2017 06:16 AM

For what it’s worth, I asked Kevin Nakada that same question a couple of weeks ago. He said definitely buy the biggest screen you can afford. He said you will miss a lot simply because of the smaller screen size. WM has the elite hook 7 for 329 on sale right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunters Pa 11-18-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLYAKER (Post 281096)
Thanks... was at basspro yesterday amd the had the navionics amd the new mapping system from lowrance amd he didnt know anything about it

Keep an eye on BPS Black Friday sale.