Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I Need some advice (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10295)

Calicobass 05-19-2011 06:15 PM

I Need some advice

How do you all feel about cajun red line for fishing SoCal halibut, calico, and bonita?

bus kid 05-19-2011 07:09 PM

20# spectra is the min I use, for anything in the ocean. I have used cajun red in fresh water, 6# for trout worked good enough.

tunaseeker 05-19-2011 08:18 PM

From what I have read the RED line is the first to dissapear due to the wavelength of the color. I woud say go for it. Next time I switch out I am going red!

The Kid 05-19-2011 08:38 PM

Use it!!! Leave more fish for the rest of us to catch.:biggrinjester: just kidding but seriously that line is super junk. izor or big game

MarkT 05-20-2011 07:59 PM

Do any scuba diving? When red starts disappearing in water it appears brown then black as you get deeper. You were thinking it turned invisible? Tie on some fluoro as a leader and it'd be fine. My inshore rigs all have green line which is stealthy... too stealthy sometimes because I have trouble seeing it.

fishinkid2010 05-20-2011 09:52 PM

It only works if you are fishing it on a Pflueger reel, a Dan Hernandez series Ugly Stick, with either a B-52 or a Magic Metals jig.

IMO stick with either Izor, McCoy, or Seaguar

brotherp 05-21-2011 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a spool of the 15 lb cajun red for christams one year. While not my first choice in line I used it on an overnight clemente trip and caught 2 yellows with it. it held up well.

slimsisher 05-21-2011 08:23 AM

specetra spectra spectra its all i use all the way from trout on up:the_finger:

FlyFishinYakr 05-22-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calicobass (Post 84224)
How do you all feel about cajun red line for fishing SoCal halibut, calico, and bonita?

Since Berkley discontinued the pink Big Game I use the Ande Premium pink line or Seaguar Flourocarbon top-shot on top of Red Power Pro.
As a previous post pointed out red is one of the first colors to disappear @ depth. Actualy disappear is a misconception (as noted by a previous post). Pink will turn to a light gray then a darker gray further down the water column. I did a study back when the issue of color came out and jumped in the water (from a boat off Catalina) to document color variations of different lines and found that pink, clear smoke and then green @ about 10' of water in order of visability.
Back in the early-mid 80's when Pink line first came out, I started to (mentally) track success of people using pink line as opposed to every other color line. (At the time I was working on a boat so I was able to track on a daily basis.) I also watched while on the overnight and multi-day trips out of SD. I also attributed my own success and many jackpots to the color line I used.:reel:
This is my own experience and I'm sure others have had similar success with other color lines. As they say Confidence is everything. YMMV
FFY.

Jimmyz123 05-22-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calicobass (Post 84224)

I tested this line out on freshwater and saltwater. I watched my numbers drop big time. So much so I changed out line while on a trip and the strikes increased after doing so.

I have always used the moss green lines and have never had any issues with it getting bit. I know Dan Hernandez pimps this stuff but I personally will not buy it ever again.

maui jim 05-22-2011 06:33 PM

Whatttttt..but what about Dan's dipping sauce,,,,does it work like Unibutter?????.........Give Dan a chance....:cool: do I dip the Magic B metal 52 first ????:confused: