Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st time out !! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17887)

momo fish 04-29-2013 10:46 PM

1st time out !!

Went out for first time fishing on my Malibu stealth kayak in Malibu and boy was it fun!!

After finally buying a stealth from Andy, and had plumbing installed, wanted to go out and fish local... Met a cool guy (Sean) who lived nearby and fished the local waters often. After making plans to fish sunday morning at county line I prepped for the trip and barely slept 2 hours (sorry ben made plans for morning fishing before the hours changed for huneme trip).

Sean picked me up from my house and loaded kayak into his pickup. We get to launch area and no one there yet at 6am.. Little wind and foggy but still nice with some small waves.. After a pep talk I prepare my first ever beach launch.. Sean makes in past the breaks and I am following him about 10 feet behind... Guess that 10 feet made a difference for me cause after making it past first wave, the 2nd wave was big enough to knock me off regardless how hard I tried to push and paddle through.. So back at the beach, watching Sean encouraging me to get back.. I then try to time the waves and after 10 minutes sean came back to help (really cool guy). 2nd time out I made it and Sean made it out as well... Although I flipped the kayak and was soaked, nothing was going to stop me from heading out.. Glad I flipped to get over that fear..

As for the fishing, no complaints at all... I had squid for bait and swimbaits.. I used squid and we got rockfish.. I used a white swimbait and kept getting some fat calico's.. Ended up with 3 really big ones.. Sean had some rockfish and a lingcod..was getting plenty of bites and I hooked on something big but lost it as I was using a small spinner with light line and was getting tired pulling on what seemed to be dead weight (maybe ray).. Plenty of bait and squid metered by sean and a fellow kayaker came and offered us info on squid as he was loading up on... Fished by the gentlemen which was nice given we got to spots in 20 minutes :reel:

can't figure out how to post pics on a tablet, but will once my 6 year old shows me.. Btw, read the landings out here were limiting on white seabass..I wonder if we missed the bite by a day but will try again next weekend...

steveooo 04-29-2013 10:57 PM

Awesome report! I like that you knew flipping was part of the game, but you still caught a few quality after the fact :luxhello:

tacklebox 04-29-2013 11:10 PM

Awesome report. Where were you fishing? San Diego? cant wait to see the pics.

momo fish 04-30-2013 06:28 AM

we fished malibu in a area called deep hole by county line (ventura/malibu). So much life, birds, etc in and outside the water... Can't wait for late may when seabass start up..

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacklebox (Post 154962)
Awesome report. Where were you fishing? San Diego? cant wait to see the pics.

gear junkie 04-30-2013 07:45 AM

Great report and happy to hear how well you did. You missed nothing with me haha

vincentek9 04-30-2013 01:09 PM

very nice going out there. the first launch is always the hardest. PLUS it was a surf launch which means it's even more difficult. getting a flip out of the way is a great thing to do. i got mine out of the way on my first try too, and i havent flipped since then.

Lit-up1 04-30-2013 02:46 PM

Way to stick it out and punch through -
next time :wsb:

momo fish 04-30-2013 05:59 PM

thanks.. It sure humbles you. Did make it past first wave, just needed to paddle harder to get past 2nd.

besides LJ, this area seems pretty good.. Glad I'm local.. Anyone else want to go out in future let me know..

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 155000)
very nice going out there. the first launch is always the hardest. PLUS it was a surf launch which means it's even more difficult. getting a flip out of the way is a great thing to do. i got mine out of the way on my first try too, and i havent flipped since then.

Bigfishhunter96 04-30-2013 06:26 PM

I believe the sea bass bite is at the west end of Santa Cruz island. I was just out on a boat on Sunday and we metered tons of fish and they expected them to bite within a couple days.

radastaff 04-30-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 154960)
Plenty of bait and squid metered by sean and a fellow kayaker came and offered us info on squid as he was loading up on.....

that was me aye

good going on the determination after a rough start
no matter how many times I launch
I always feel that same adrenalin rush

sunday was tougher than sat fishing wize
and the current got sumthin wicked later in the afternoon
but less windy than sat
and a good time as always
pulled a toad calico on sat and double legal lings

StinkyMatt 04-30-2013 09:25 PM

You Malibu guys have it soooo good.

Enjoy the nice calicos and lings......some day ( not anytime soon) the stupid Wsb will be there and screw everything up.:D

momo fish 05-01-2013 05:54 AM

cool!! Was hoping to run into you again.. You were awesome for coming over and offering squid and info.. Very cool guy.. I was the one in blue vest.. Pm me your info if your going out again.. We may be going to refugio out by SB this sunday..

Quote:

Originally Posted by radastaff (Post 155046)
that was me aye

good going on the determination after a rough start
no matter how many times I launch
I always feel that same adrenalin rush

sunday was tougher than sat fishing wize
and the current got sumthin wicked later in the afternoon
but less windy than sat
and a good time as always
pulled a toad calico on sat and double legal lings

FlyFishinYakr 05-03-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 154969)
we fished malibu in a area called deep hole by county line (ventura/malibu). So much life, birds, etc in and outside the water... Can't wait for late may when seabass start up..

Can't wait to pick up my kayak (STILL!!!...ANDY Says it's in the back collecting dust) just have to take enough medication to last through Saturday or spend the night (Motel 6 or something) then fish the FEDERAL BREAKWATER ON SUNDAY! Since Santa Monica & Malibu Sportfishing closed I've totally forgotten about the "Deep Hole":jig:, memories of the days when even the 3/4 boats from San Pedro would make the run if it had been good for a couple days. :reel: