Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Perfect Gaff For a Kayak!!! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=14508)

Yakin 07-23-2012 02:20 PM

Perfect Gaff For a Kayak!!!

2 Attachment(s)
Besides from the brand new Hobie PA12, the best thing for a kayak I saw at the iCast convention this year would be the telescope gaff by Baker Precision Fishing Tools that has a built in gaff.
The gaff you can get in 3 sizes:
the smallest is only about 10 1/2 inch long and pulls out to about 2 feet and the scales weight up to 26lbs

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Baker...h-All+Products

maui jim 07-23-2012 02:24 PM

Is it a Floater or Sinker????:confused:

Yakin 07-23-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maui jim (Post 126402)
Is it a Floater or Sinker????:confused:

it is a floater!!!

Dave k 07-23-2012 02:35 PM

I'd be curious to see it in person. If its got a spring scale built in, it means the hook will have some 'give'. Personally, I'd rather have the gaff be a little more solid when swinging on a 30# fish. If I'm using a gaff, I can weigh the fish at home or on the beach.

Not saying there isn't a market for it, just a little too gimmicky for my taste.

Yakin 07-23-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave k (Post 126405)
I'd be curious to see it in person. If its got a spring scale built in, it means the hook will have some 'give'. Personally, I'd rather have the gaff be a little more solid when swinging on a 30# fish. If I'm using a gaff, I can weigh the fish at home or on the beach.

Not saying there isn't a market for it, just a little too gimmicky for my taste.

I understand what your saying here and I felt the same way.
the main reason I really liked it was how compact it was and how long it would expand out to.
get for saving space and now have a gaff just out there

jorluivil 07-23-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave k (Post 126405)

I agree. It looks like some thought went into this but i don't think it was meant to be put through the abuse gear takes on a kayak. If it only reads up to 26lbs it means that its probably not made to gaff a 40lb wsb or a 30lb yt. What do you do then?

Yakin 07-23-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 126408)
I agree. It looks like some thought went into this but i don't think it was meant to be put through the abuse gear takes on a kayak. If it only reads up to 26lbs it means that its probably not made to gaff a 40lb wsb or a 30lb yt. What do you do then?

Glad you guys are pointing this out I was thinking about getting one to try out but now I don't know if it is worth the risk

jorluivil 07-23-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 126409)
Glad you guys are pointing this out I was thinking about getting one to try out but now I don't know if it is worth the risk

my next gaff will a bamboo gaff

Yakin 07-23-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 126414)

right now I have one of those foot long green ones that float.
You know kinda like those candy bars stuck in Candy's teeth?

bus kid 07-23-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 126414)

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ht=bamboo+gaff
PM fishaholic there is swapmeet this saturday in LB maybe he can bring you one. :biggrinjester:

vincentek9 07-23-2012 04:59 PM

goes up to 26lbs huh.... very nice for most fish, but will the scale max out and break if i'm trying to yank a 40# fish on the yak?

Yakin 07-23-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentek9 (Post 126435)
goes up to 26lbs huh.... very nice for most fish, but will the scale max out and break if i'm trying to yank a 40# fish on the yak?

I dont know how the guts of it is set up. But the best way to test it is put it on a puller and see where it breaks at?

mazilla 07-23-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 126439)
I dont know how the guts of it is set up. But the best way to test it is put it on a puller and see where it breaks at?

Everybody pool up the $24+ and somebody put it to the test...I'd pay a buck or two to find out. :D

StinkyMatt 07-23-2012 08:23 PM

Stick with hook............no breakie

Stick with hook with telescoping thingy with a spring thing with a scale thingy.........lots of breakie.

:D

Keep it simple.

jorluivil 07-23-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 126463)

Stick with hook with telescoping thingy with a spring thing with a scale thingy.........lots of breakie.

Keep it simple.

The K.I.S.S principle

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

No pun intended:D

mtnbykr2 07-24-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 126463)

Keep it simple.

Matt, you have such a way with words, so scientific....:D

Dave k 07-24-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 126406)
I understand what your saying here and I felt the same way.
the main reason I really liked it was how compact it was and how long it would expand out to.
get for saving space and now have a gaff just out there

If you want something that is compact, check out the adjustable one from Promar. The float too and are a little longer... with a max of 2' this one is too short for my liking as well. Personally I'd go at least 3 feet, preferably 4. Easier to get a headshot on that WSB doing his death circles on the surface, especially with an 8' rod.

just my opinion and preference though.