Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   F'n Sabiki! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23847)

T-Rex 11-10-2014 09:33 PM

F'n Sabiki!

Last few months I've been using just a regular rod instead of my unwieldy 8' sabiki rod. Yesterday I was putting my sabiki away and the 6oz sinker dropped thru a scupper hole impaling my pinky on a hook. It was an akward location and i could't pull it out with a pliers. After a long paddle in and loading the kayak, I ended up using the fishing line method to pop it out. At least it was only a sabiki hook! :o
Now I remember why I got a sabiki stick in the first place!:rolleyes:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1415687519

Cbad Mike 11-11-2014 01:23 AM

:doh:

taggermike 11-11-2014 07:47 AM

That sucks. Those sibiki rods are handy but take up a rod holder all day. I've found cutting the sibiki in half still catches plenty of bait and gets tangled much less. Mike

f'nsabiki 11-11-2014 08:26 AM

There was a post a while back on how you got your screen name. Your pic is exactly how I came up with mine. ouch !!!

RK 11-11-2014 08:28 AM

crimp the barbs.....

addicted2sp33d 11-11-2014 08:37 AM

Ouch!

I am paranoid of my sabiki hooks, enough that I cut the knot and stow the sabiki after I'm done with it.

I'll spend a minute to re-tie it if I need it, but I don't want those hooks (plural) stuck in me. Death by 1000 pinpricks... or maybe about 8-10. :eek:

PapaDave 11-11-2014 11:12 AM

I have done that same thing about 4 times in the last 3 months. It isn't fun to say the least. I'm getting good at threading them through.

:(

Dannowar 11-11-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RK (Post 211081)
crimp the barbs.....

Always

FISH11 11-11-2014 06:30 PM

F'nsabiki is a phrase I use quite regular when catching bait. It is always worse when there are several macs at once. While trying to get the macs of the hook it is easy to get another hook on your glove, leash line, bathing suit or finger. Some time earlier this year I kept slicing one of my fingers when I left the sabiki on the spinning rod I use it on, inside my car. Every time I would reach for something in the cargo area and pull my hand back it would always find a hook and the pain of the hook going in would make me instantly yank my hand back and of course that would rip the hook out and leave me a nice cut. Now I always remove the sabiki when transporting that rod in my car.

alanw 11-11-2014 06:51 PM

That's a big hook compared to the ones I use. I don't think it would be too bad pulling out one of the smaller hooks, but I think I'm going to crimp all my barbs from now on anyway :)

T-Rex 11-11-2014 07:32 PM

Definitely going to be crimping the barbs and cutting my sabikis in half going forward. The size 6 sabiki was a lot bigger than I usually use -- I'll be rethinking that going forward too.

PapaDave 11-12-2014 12:33 PM

Good idea on the barbs, thanx

salty pirate 11-12-2014 02:04 PM

Only down fall to crimping is you loose bait from time to time which can be a bummer when bait is scarce. Half and crimped barb sabiki is what I keep on my yak.

Other bonus is when it gets mangled you have the other half ready to go!

yak-fishing-socal 11-12-2014 05:07 PM

What's a good size sabiki I always guess

TCS 11-12-2014 07:12 PM

Cut a six inch piece of pool noodle. Wrap the sabiki around it. Into a ziplock.

philbro 01-31-2017 02:18 AM

The end of your Sabiki problems may be here.

Hiya,
I’ve invented a new rig for catching live baits that might have been good to use in your situation.

IMAGINE THIS: A Sabiki rig that is easy to manage, it doesn’t tangle, its hooks and lures can be changed in a snap, you can use it on any rod you like, also it can be used again and again and again.

Well, there isn’t a Sabiki like this, because its called a Blackbow rig. It does all of this and more.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK2C0d6uPBk

Cheers
Phil.

h2ofishfo 01-31-2017 05:10 AM

Sounds like a goood Idea. Considering its carbon fiber though I'm guessing it comes at a price. My sabiki issues don't stem as far as others but how
Much ?

Harry Hill 01-31-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2ofishfo (Post 274710)
Sounds like a goood Idea. Considering its carbon fiber though I'm guessing it comes at a price. My sabiki issues don't stem as far as others but how
Much ?

Carbon fiber is cheap if you buy it from a hobby store, the beads would be easy to glue on. with super glue. The tricky part would be putting the swivel on the end for tying on and the weight end.The sabiki hooks on swivels would be easy. I'm going to make one today.

philbro 01-31-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2ofishfo (Post 274710)
Much ?

Hi, Aiming to be NZ$30-$40 for the rig & travel tube the mini-trace packs about the sam as yr usual sabiki rigs.

MrPukaShell 01-31-2017 08:52 AM

You could always tie or wrap a wire loop on the end for the swivel like putting a guide on a fishing pole and finish up with some epoxy to hold everything in place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 274711)
Carbon fiber is cheap if you buy it from a hobby store, the beads would be easy to glue on. with super glue. The tricky part would be putting the swivel on the end for tying on and the weight end.The sabiki hooks on swivels would be easy. I'm going to make one today.