Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My style of babysitting... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11978)

Hunter (The 80's Man) 11-21-2011 06:40 PM

My style of babysitting...

Actually, my wife says it's not babysitting when it's your own kid. So, I took my youngest, Jeremiah (age 3) to Irvine Lake. The morning started off early at 3:30 a.m. I woke up and immediately started pondering the layers of clothing and what we would need for the day's adventure. Anticipating my own needs is one thing, trying to satisfy the needs and mind of a 3-year-old confined to a tank well is a entirely different dilemma. Snacks, drinks, snacks, toys, snacks, drinks, snacks, change of clothes... I tried thinking of it all, over and over. I wanted this day to go smoothly, and for the most part, it did.

We got to the lake about 5 a.m. and quickly took our place in line. We only had a half hour to wait until the gait was open, where we could get to the bait shop for a hot chocolate (the first form of 3-year-old entertainment). So, we sat in the truck and went over fishing technique. In 3-year-old terms, I tried to explain about drag, when to reel, when not to reel, how to hold his pole. I could see the excitement on his face. So, we got our drinks and waited the last half hour in the dark and cold amongst all the other fisherman milling around outside their cars.. lying about the one that got away. I could see it on Jeremiah's face, soaking it all up. He really felt like big stuff.

In no time the gate was open, the kayak was off the truck, and we were underway. I packed the pouch on the rear of my seat with all his stuff and told him he could help himself, which he did almost immediately (starting with the food). I threw out Rapalas on each of our rods and started paddling up the west bank. We made one pass, the length of the lake, and then hooked up on his rod... perfect.

He handled the fish like a pro. It was me that was the rookie with missed underwater footage, and net shot. With one on the stringer I felt instant relief.

I had accomplished the minimum goals I had set for the day. My son had hooked up and I got film to share with family and friends. We caught one more just before we had lunch on our own private island. It was a good day filled with lots of smiles, laughs and about every 10 seconds a "Hey dad!".

Now that's babysitting...

Here's a link of our day in fast-forward I thought you'd enjoy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kk87vDa0rcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk87vDa0rcY

Rob

pchen911 11-21-2011 06:46 PM

Nice. Been waiting to take my 4 year old out too. Irvine lake seems like a great place to do it even though it's a bit pricy. They stocked it with some good sized fish though.

roby 11-21-2011 07:13 PM

Priceless!!!

Awesome video.....

GregAndrew 11-21-2011 07:26 PM

I found myself with an uncontrollable grin on the entire vid. WTG Dad, although now you have to feed his addiction too.

lamb 11-21-2011 07:27 PM

Very VERY cool!

That part when he's petting the fish it is pure gold! :cheers1:

I got a couple of lil' ones lined up. The other day I was in Mission Bay with good friend's 6 year old. We rocked greenies and lizards on small chovies, had a blast!

The kids get that plain joy fired, it's cool to watch. We all remember when it was lit up in all of us.

It's cool that you carefully planned it, played safe, and got a great trip. Lil' ones can be quick and unpredictable. Very cool, your 3 year old is IN now... hooked!

burning drag 11-21-2011 07:31 PM

That's a great feeling isn't it ;)

kobra 11-21-2011 07:32 PM

That's awesome Rob. Very cool vid.

wiredantz 11-21-2011 07:43 PM

THAT IT I AM PUMPED!!!

Starts up cars....

Goes to Big 5

Let me have 2 kids fresh water reels

Comes back home...

ALRIGHT MATT< ROBY > ERIK >GEORGE (just bring a doll)

WE HAVE TO DO A KIDS TRIP TO LAKE IRVINE!!! :you_rock:

wade 11-21-2011 09:04 PM

SIMPLY PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

StinkyMatt 11-21-2011 09:22 PM

Rob, that was just incredible!:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello ::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

I had a smile on my face the entire time, my wife watched it too. We loved it.

Your boy is a pro, he looked soooo relaxed.

Great job Dad!:you_rock:

sdfisher 11-21-2011 10:51 PM

Great experience for the both of you!

awesome video, the little guy pulled that fish in like a pro.

RedSledTeam 11-21-2011 10:58 PM

Special Dad

Rob,
That was an incredible footage! It takes a very special Dad to teach his son how to hold the fishing pole properly with the reel hanging below the rod. Way to go Dad! You found the perfect seat in the back too! What a great video.
:party: -RST

jorluivil 11-21-2011 11:44 PM

WOW......that is by far one of the best videos father son videos I've ever seen, saying its priceless is an understatement. I recall the days when my son and I would go out on my boat, good times then the teenage bug hit.

Enjoy every second because the years will fly by and before you know it they'll be teenagers. I had not seen my daughter for the last few days because of her school and work schedule, today I finally got to see her but it was for a quick minute and unforetunately I was in bed trying to get some zzzz's before I came to work. Cherish every single second with your kids because like I said, before you know it they'll be teenagers with attitudes and trying to get some time in will be like a having a second job.

jorluivil 11-21-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 100902)
THAT IT I AM PUMPED!!!

Starts up cars....

Goes to Big 5

Let me have 2 kids fresh water reels

Comes back home...

ALRIGHT MATT< ROBY > ERIK >GEORGE (just bring a doll)

WE HAVE TO DO A KIDS TRIP TO LAKE IRVINE!!! :you_rock:

I'd sit my son in the back but he's 5'10", he'd look really goofy. Come to think of it, he will fit right in with us.

Monovasia 11-22-2011 05:13 AM

You brought back some great memories

When my boys were small I would strap the car seats into the hatch back and back down the boat ramp at the lake by our house...we would catch sunfish and catfish all night long....a couple of time we watched the sun come up...simply a great way to spend the night and bond with your kids and pass on the fever....

Thanks for the video

Aaron&Julie 11-22-2011 05:53 AM

Hey Rob, that's magical. And actually with the great music in the background, and the way the camera moves around quite a bit, it's better than most everything on VH1 and MTV, and looks intentional. That is one music video that you'll cherish the REST of your life. Your son and you will look at it in years to come with joy and remembrance. Congrats on a job well done, as a father more than a fisherman.
Aaron

blitzburgh 11-22-2011 07:15 AM

AWESOME VID! Can't wait to get my 22 month old boy on the water. I love the part where your boy keps checking on the fish, pulling on the stringer, CLASSIC. It makes me laugh because I remember doing that every 30 seconds with my Dad (& Brothers) at Pymatuning Lake (in PA). They would get after me over and over.."Put those dang fish back in the water boy!" HAHAHAHAHAHA....Great vid man, thank you for sharing.:luxhello:

mtnbykr2 11-22-2011 07:19 AM

what a video, what a memory...hang on to that tight it will seem like it happened so long ago, great job DAD...:reel:

Tman 11-22-2011 07:41 AM

:luxhello:

Way to go, instant fishing partner...

And it only gets better!

MrPukaShell 11-22-2011 09:12 AM

One of the best video's for all time. I agree with the others, fishing partner for life. When he pulled the stringer along side and was petting the fish was priceless. That boy is going to cost you a fortune in the years to come. Thanks for taking the time to share...........