Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayak Sonar Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31892)

JohnMckroidJr 07-21-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 309136)
Though I might add a few pics for discussion. What do you think you see here?

First one:
The line at 50ft from left to center screen is a lead weight or jig of some sort. A predator fish comes up and checks it out. The weight gets pulled up to about 40 ft, then lowered back down towards the bottom as it approaches the cloud of bait on the right side of the screen.

Most of the productive fishing in my area is in 2-5 times that depth of water. When I use a downrigger, I see similar stuff.

Second one:
Is tougher because there is no reference of depth distances to help determine the size of the targets. On the far left, I see the weight or jig? (straight line...as it is dragged into the school). I will guess a large form of baitfish, possibly with some interference, or possibly feeding on a smaller form of baitfish.

In my area, That looks like Barjacks or Bluerunner, neither of which are on the West Coast.

Any UW video?

GregAndrew 07-21-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 309296)
First one:
The line at 50ft from left to center screen is a lead weight or jig of some sort. A predator fish comes up and checks it out. The weight gets pulled up to about 40 ft, then lowered back down towards the bottom as it approaches the cloud of bait on the right side of the screen.

Most of the productive fishing in my area is in 2-5 times that depth of water. When I use a downrigger, I see similar stuff.

Second one:
Is tougher because there is no reference of depth distances to help determine the size of the targets. On the far left, I see the weight or jig? (straight line...as it is dragged into the school). I will guess a large form of baitfish, possibly with some interference, or possibly feeding on a smaller form of baitfish.

In my area, That looks like Barjacks or Bluerunner, neither of which are on the West Coast.

Any UW video?

The first one is my 8oz torpedo on the left side. You can make out my 10" Greenie barely as the broken dotted line above the sinker. The fish bit and spit initially, then you can see that I began to bounce my bait by what the sinker is doing (bait had been on the hook for a while, and I did not know how lively it was). A bit before both big marks end, the fish bit again and this time it stuck. Both sinker and fish left my sonar cone quickly (although in opposite directions). That fish ended up being a 64# WSB.

The second one is my downrigger ball down below the school of fish on the left side. You can vaguely make out that I cranked it up in 2 steps a total of about 12 feet (in order to put my camera in the middle of the school). I also cranked up my bait after each of the steps, to bring it back in view. The vertical movements on the right side are when the fish bit and I set the hook. Although I did not maintain good pressure, and allowed the fish to shake the hook. But I did get the bite on video (but it is poor visibility). That was a school of WSB probably in the 25-40# range (at least the ones I could see).

Oolie 07-21-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 309308)
The first one is my 8oz torpedo on the left side. You can make out my 10" Greenie barely as the broken dotted line above the sinker. The fish bit and spit initially, then you can see that I began to bounce my bait by what the sinker is doing (bait had been on the hook for a while, and I did not know how lively it was). A bit before both big marks end, the fish bit again and this time it stuck. Both sinker and fish left my sonar cone quickly (although in opposite directions). That fish ended up being a 64# WSB.

The second one is my downrigger ball down below the school of fish on the left side. You can vaguely make out that I cranked it up in 2 steps a total of about 12 feet (in order to put my camera in the middle of the school). I also cranked up my bait after each of the steps, to bring it back in view. The vertical movements on the right side are when the fish bit and I set the hook. Although I did not maintain good pressure, and allowed the fish to shake the hook. But I did get the bite on video (but it is poor visibility). That was a school of WSB probably in the 25-40# range (at least the ones I could see).

Congrats!

chris138 07-22-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

I call BS without the video. Looks like bat rays to me.

;):notworthy:

GregAndrew 07-22-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 309327)
I call BS without the video. Looks like bat rays to me.

;):notworthy:

Yep, you caught me Chris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW4XWP17hVE

SoCalEDC 07-23-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 309335)

Thats one of the coolest underwater "home" videos I've seen

JohnMckroidJr 07-23-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the first one, nice fish story on the second one, cool video of the Bat Rays.