Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   sea dog question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31168)

BigTunaL 05-24-2017 12:53 PM

sea dog question

when you loose a bait to a sea dog, how do you do find out when it happens? do you get a tug? you see it on the FF? or you just find out when you reel it back in?

LJ H2Oman 05-24-2017 01:06 PM

Most of the time you get a tug, but every now and then you get hit by a stealthy dog.

bolocop 05-24-2017 01:18 PM

the ones that I encounter are especially mean, they tug, steal the bait and then laugh at me as I watch them swallow my hard-earned bait.

NICKWORN 05-24-2017 02:02 PM

LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolocop (Post 279987)
the ones that I encounter are especially mean, they tug, steal the bait and then laugh at me as I watch them swallow my hard-earned bait.

Yep, you get the excitement of a fish but turn around and realize its a dog and he's throwing his prize in the air as if telling you, hey " Fuck Off ":mad:

FISH11 05-24-2017 03:35 PM

The bastards don't just stop at tossing the bait in the air to let you know, you've been f..ked with. They then hide under or behind your kayak, just waiting for you to be stupid enough to pin on another and drop it in, without looking around or waiting a few minutes before you do! It's not because they are hungry, it's just entertainment to them.

YakDout 05-24-2017 05:51 PM

sea dog question

Keep your head on a swivel. 9 out of 10 times you will see em coming. Wind your bait in as fast as you can because after they get the first one they stick with you for awhile. Also, pay attention to the smart ones that pretend to lose interest until you throw your bait back in. You guys know what im talking about. The ones who swim the opposite way waiting for the suckers to throw the bait back in thinking they are in the clear!

alanw 05-24-2017 09:02 PM

I always seem to hear them coming in time to pull my bait. They can be loud popping up for air.

goldenglory18 05-25-2017 06:55 AM

I know they must be really frustrating, and I'm sure I'll experience it at some point myself, but damn they sound entertaining. LOL

Dirty Curti 05-25-2017 08:54 AM

Yeah entertaining alright, you get your heart rate jumping as your real screams for about 10 seconds and then :linesnap: Then you see the bastard tossing it in the air behind you. :mad:

kirkdavis 05-25-2017 09:01 AM

Amazing

It is amazing how tough mack noses are. Whether it be a hali or sea dog, they grab it by the body and start pulling, and it feels like they are hooked. One would think it would pull the head off of the mack or rip the hook out of his nose easier.

WARRIORMIKE 05-25-2017 09:04 AM

I reeled in a my half dead mackeral near my kayak. I was letting it sit there until I made more bait. Set the rod in the rod holder and sea Dog came and ripped the rod hard. Almost lost my setup that day.

BigTunaL 05-25-2017 10:08 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I know what not to do now. I am going to LJ this Monday for my 20th trip or so hoping to be the one where I tell you about my first YT hookup.

FullFlavorPike 05-25-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE (Post 280034)
I reeled in a my half dead mackeral near my kayak. I was letting it sit there until I made more bait. Set the rod in the rod holder and sea Dog came and ripped the rod hard. Almost lost my setup that day.

I had one hit a mackerel three feet from the boat at full drag once. Thought I was going swimming till the nose popped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJ H2Oman 05-25-2017 12:04 PM

BigTunaL,

Put up a post after your Monday La Jolla session and let us know if you still think the dogs are entertaining. Oh . . . by the way . . . we are setting up an adoption program to assist our fellow fisherman and any tourists who want home entertainment. It's going to be patterned after the rescue and adoption program they have down at the animal shelter. You'll be the envy of your neighbors . . . at least until your aqua-dog starts to stink up your house, breaks into your refrigerator, eats your weekend catch before you can get it on the grill, and drinks all your beer!

Bruntoj 05-25-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTunaL (Post 279981)
when you loose a bait to a sea dog, how do you do find out when it happens? do you get a tug? you see it on the FF? or you just find out when you reel it back in?

Floating in the Pro Angler. Bobbing. Gently. Drowsy. Falling...asleep....

KKKKRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Clicker going! rod bending! It's happening! It's on! Fish! Grab the rod! Turn the clicker off! Engage gear! No other way round! Yes yes YES ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!

Then nothing. Reel in your empty hook or broken line. Watch a sea dog surface 50 yards away mocking you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dingokevin 05-25-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruntoj (Post 280063)
Floating in the Pro Angler. Bobbing. Gently. Drowsy. Falling...asleep....

KKKKRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Clicker going! rod bending! It's happening! It's on! Fish! Grab the rod! Turn the clicker off! Engage gear! No other way round! Yes yes YES ITS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!

Then nothing. Reel in your empty hook or broken line. Watch a sea dog surface 50 yards away mocking you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True story but an outback not a pa

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

taggermike 05-27-2017 08:04 AM

Dogs are getting more savvy and better at stealing baits. Usually you'll get a short zzip on the clicker, then just a dead weight like you're in kelp. The dogs got your bait but just chilling. You hope its a fish but realize its a dog. You give up on the bait n pull the hook free. Dog gets the whole bait with minimal energy expended.

They're getting sneakier about breathing too. But you can't still, usually, here them coming.

Best way I've found to save baits is too to keep your ears open and eyes moving. A shorter drop back can help too.

By far the best dog avoidance for yakkers is to gave a couple big party boats in the area. They'll pull in all the dogs. Mike

Harry Hill 05-27-2017 10:05 AM

put an M80 in the mack, cast it directly in front of a dog and hope he grabs it right way, paddle over and collect his teeth for a necklace.