Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thanksgiving White Shark (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23984)

Caseym 11-29-2014 01:33 PM

Thanksgiving White Shark

Keeping it short...
Thursday 1:45
San Onofre, end of the dirt road
250 yds out, 25 ft of crystal clear water
Trolling sandy bottom for halibut
Clicker goes off, then stops
Turned around, saw a sea lion 4 feet behind the yak.
Did a double take, realized it was a shark
It turned broadside as it swam behind me and then cruised away, about 6-7 foot great white, just below the surface, clear as day!
Paddled in, changed shorts.
Didnt bother to tell my 6 year old, who was laying on his back on the Ocean Kayaks Rod Pod.
Regained my nerve, went back out yesterday, 2 hrs, GoPro ready...nada.
Just be aware, hes there.

Iceman 11-29-2014 02:36 PM

Super common seeing them there, luckily the smaller ones. I have had a couple times seeing them but not clearly. 2 weeks ago one of the kayak fisherman said he saw one. Chuck Patterson's video from a few years back.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k-LIiVjdjwU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Caseym 11-29-2014 03:32 PM

Yup, I remember seeing that video when it first broke. A few guys including my brother in-law were all telling me later "oh you saw Fluffy!" Fitting name. I dont really know if its smart, but I went back out and will again in the future. Its one of those weird things where you just want to stare at it, but your subconscious is screaming "Run to live another day!" The water was so clear we could see sand ripples in 30 feet. Tiny swell made for unreal conditions, bait everywhere. A free-diver came in with 4 lobsters and a legal (speared) halibut, all pulled from The Point and south, 20 feet or less.

gunghosd 11-30-2014 08:54 AM

Sweet Video!

SorryCharlie 12-01-2014 08:42 AM

I was diving San O on Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't the diver you saw, as I was out of the water around 11:30. The life out there was awesome, ended up taking two (6 and 9lb) sheepies. Saw a few nice leopard sharks, all sorts of perch everywhere, bait schools all over, and some nice groups of sheepies.

The vis was the best is has been there all year from what I remember and it would have been awesome to see "fluffy". Every time I dive there I am just waiting for him to come on by, have a feeling I may need a new wetsuit after seeing him in the water tho...

Caseym 12-01-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorryCharlie (Post 212462)
I was diving San O on Thanksgiving morning. I wasn't the diver you saw, as I was out of the water around 11:30. The life out there was awesome, ended up taking two (6 and 9lb) sheepies. Saw a few nice leopard sharks, all sorts of perch everywhere, bait schools all over, and some nice groups of sheepies.

The vis was the best is has been there all year from what I remember and it would have been awesome to see "fluffy". Every time I dive there I am just waiting for him to come on by, have a feeling I may need a new wetsuit after seeing him in the water tho...

Ya, it'll make you re-think the whole "food-chain" hierarchy for sure! There were 2 or 3 divers out each day. One guy was towing around an orange buoy. Don't know that I've ever seen anyone diving san o' before. Is that a normal target for you or was it just conditions driven? Seems like there'd be tons of targets hiding in all that grass.

SorryCharlie 12-02-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseym (Post 212475)
Ya, it'll make you re-think the whole "food-chain" hierarchy for sure! There were 2 or 3 divers out each day. One guy was towing around an orange buoy. Don't know that I've ever seen anyone diving san o' before. Is that a normal target for you or was it just conditions driven? Seems like there'd be tons of targets hiding in all that grass.

San O is one of my favorite places to dive, not just because of the target species you can nail in shallow water (less then 15 ft), but because of the awesome life and overall ecosystem there. Mostly I go after sheepshead and halibut there, when the conditions are decent. There are massive schools or perch, sargo, etc. that cruise the reef area, but I'm not really interested in them, just cool to swim with them.

This last weekend was some of the best (if not the best) diving conditions we have had in SC this year, which would explain the reason you were seeing so many divers.

If you ever see me out there feel free to swing on by and say high, just please don't be casting any lures/bait towards me (or any diver for that matter)..... not only for safety, but I have had buddies miss chances on nice wsb (40+ lb) because H&L guys would cast there jigs at them (I'm guessing to get there attention to say hi) and scare fish right in front of them......

tacmik 12-02-2014 03:10 PM

A free-diver came in with 4 lobsters and a legal (speared) halibut, all pulled from The Point and south, 20 feet or less.

Hmmm. lobster fishing with a spear gun. Thought it was illegal to have a spear gun while lobster fishing, even if not used to get bugs.

VINNYC 12-02-2014 06:18 PM

Good thing it wasn't bigger and hungry, I have been in those poopy pants. Glad your safe bro!!!

yak-fishing-socal 12-02-2014 07:34 PM

Dang the next time any of y'all go to san o let me know that's my favorite spot

bluesquids 12-02-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 212576)

Hmmm. lobster fishing with a spear gun. Thought it was illegal to have a spear gun while lobster fishing, even if not used to get bugs.

It's not illegal. Regs, state no hooked device can be used.....argument can be made that a flopper could be a hooked device...but no ones ever been hassled to that extreme....as long as there are no holes in your bugs. The new regs coming out soon are written to be more clear about this.
It's kinda inefficient to try to do both....but if you're in a good hali spot, not a bad idea.

captnblood34 12-04-2014 08:49 PM

Right on

lowprofile 12-05-2014 06:43 AM

When did they start calling sparky "fluffy"?