Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First LJ Trip Saturday (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30752)

SouthernChef11 03-09-2017 10:58 AM

First LJ Trip Saturday

Hello! This is my first post. Posting to see if anyone wants to join me at La Jolla this Saturday. I recently moved to San Diego, and bought a kayak. I'm used to fishing in lakes and rivers back in Alabama, and am beginning to get familiar with saltwater. I've been out in the bay a couple times, but will try my luck trolling live bait at LJ on Saturday. Hoping to meet some new people, and get some tips and advice. Have a good one!

NICKWORN 03-09-2017 11:11 AM

ALWAYS PEOPLE OUT AT LJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernChef11 (Post 276501)
Hello! This is my first post. Posting to see if anyone wants to join me at La Jolla this Saturday. I recently moved to San Diego, and bought a kayak. I'm used to fishing in lakes and rivers back in Alabama, and am beginning to get familiar with saltwater. I've been out in the bay a couple times, but will try my luck trolling live bait at LJ on Saturday. Hoping to meet some new people, and get some tips and advice. Have a good one!

You can always be sure that a group is going to be out at LJ on a Saturday, id recommend introducing yourself to some of the folks at the launch and see if you can tag along for the day.

If not give DEAMON a shout, he loves company!:D:D

SouthernChef11 03-09-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 276502)
You can always be sure that a group is going to be out at LJ on a Saturday, id recommend introducing yourself to some of the folks at the launch and see if you can tag along for the day.

What's a normal time that everyone launches?

chris138 03-09-2017 12:54 PM

Hey Chef,

You probably would want to launch right around sun up, just so you can see the waves at the launch (should be tiny) and see the line up of the cove.

You have to paddle west about 1/2 mile to get out of the marine reserve. No fishing is allowed near the launch. Use your phone GPS, or just keep paddling west until you see other kayaks and boats fishing.

Your strategy should be simple: Catch mackerel for bait. Buy a sibiki to catch the mackerel. Then troll the mackerel on a flyline (no weights, a hook only) around with the reel out of gear and the clicker on.

Good Luck!
CB

Dannowar 03-09-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Lol. That guys off the water long before anyone launches.

GregAndrew 03-09-2017 02:08 PM

Most of the guys out there will be happy to tell you what is working for them. They may not want to tell you where or when, but the how is rarely a secret. Just don't be the guy that paddles/pedals up to them with your own lines in the water.

FISH11 03-09-2017 02:30 PM

Number one make sure you have leashes on all your gear, you don't want to loose. Good luck!

Dee84cali 03-09-2017 02:50 PM

I'll be out there with my brother.. we're coming from OC, planning on being there by 5-5:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deamon 03-09-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Hahaha!!! I met a very good dude last week...Katchfish...Ken. He was like "dude, last time I came up on you...you must have been having a bad day"...I was like, "Hey man, don't ever let a little stink eye stop you..." hahahahahaha!!!! It sure didn't work on MoFo Nick!!!! :the_finger::the_finger::the_finger:Jim

NICKWORN 03-10-2017 07:40 AM

It worked Right!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 276528)
Hahaha!!! I met a very good dude last week...Katchfish...Ken. He was like "dude, last time I came up on you...you must have been having a bad day"...I was like, "Hey man, don't ever let a little stink eye stop you..." hahahahahaha!!!! It sure didn't work on MoFo Nick!!!! :the_finger::the_finger::the_finger:Jim

And just think, I wouldn't of caught all those :lobster: this year if I wasn't persistent!! :eek::eek:

:cheers1:

5-20 03-10-2017 07:51 PM

Just remember that you can yell "roll tide" as much as you want to but it's still only going to change once every 6 hours or so.

SouthernChef11 03-10-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5-20 (Post 276586)
Just remember that you can yell "roll tide" as much as you want to but it's still only going to change once every 6 hours or so.

Hahaha! Don't worry, I only shout "War Eagle"!

Deamon 03-11-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 276559)
And just think, I wouldn't of caught all those :lobster: this year if I wasn't persistent!! :eek::eek:

You know NickMan...older kayak fisherman have feelings too, :the_finger:.
One more go hard at it next season before I officially proclaim the bay being fished out of bugs...but the one positive for my 2016 season: Sting Ray counts were low too :help:

erinoo 03-11-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 276528)

Katchfish..Ken a good dude..?? He's a Communist..:cheers1:

the dude 03-11-2017 10:36 AM

checkout the fishalerts app for the boundaries of the mpa