Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   THRESHER 155 REVIEW (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24867)

easyday 03-12-2015 10:40 AM

THRESHER 155 REVIEW

I took the Thresher 155 out yesterday for the first time. the results are, I LOVE THIS BOAT. I had a Tarpon 160 before and loved that boat as well, but Wilderness Systems really put some thought into this one. The flex pod OS is really nice having the battery, FF, and transducer all together on one place is really cool. No need to drill holes in the hull and the best part is your transducer is actually in the water. I noticed ALOT clearer picture on my FF as opposed to having it on the ram arm that wobbled and moved over the side. The bow design is nice we ran into a little chop yesterday and the boat popped up right on over it and handled it with ease. Also the new rudder system and the way its mounted is bad @$$. It took a little while to get used to getting the lines tightened down right and getting it dialed in, but after that it was really nice to use your toes to work the rudder. At the end of the day the inside of the yak was completely dry. Overall it was FAST, STABLE, and TRACKED extremely well. Its safe to say I'm super happy with the upgrade and cant wait to get the deck bloody.

Fish Taco 03-12-2015 11:35 AM

Good on you man... AWESOME!!!

yak-fishing-socal 03-12-2015 12:01 PM

That front hatch is cool and seems pretty dry

ZUMAN 03-12-2015 12:32 PM

Nice!!!!
I've been having my crosshairs on this kayak since last year!!
Love that color or the dusk!!!

How did you like the seat??

easyday 03-12-2015 02:56 PM

I'm a big fan of the seat. It's the same seat as the tarpon.

YakMedic 03-12-2015 05:53 PM

I was going to hit you up to get a comparison but this post answered my questions. I've always loved the Tarpon line but I think the Thresher is it for my next boat.
Now to decide 140 or 155.........

easyday 03-14-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakMedic (Post 221584)
I was going to hit you up to get a comparison but this post answered my questions. I've always loved the Tarpon line but I think the Thresher is it for my next boat.
Now to decide 140 or 155.........

I think I may have a complex or something but I always want the bigger boat offered. I'm sure I could have easily gotten away with the 140, but then I thought I liked the T160 so much better than the T140 I assumed the same would be true with the thresher.

Aznronin 05-18-2015 03:32 PM

The major flaw in the thresher is that it does not have side carry handles. It is very difficult to lift, load and unload your kayak. It has handles for the bow and stern and molded in handles on the side that go into the yak. Very poorly designed. If you get a thresher you will have to add handles for sure if you ever need to carry the boat by yourself.

easyday 05-19-2015 09:52 PM

You can easily add handles if you wanted to. I like the design of the molded in handles. Less things to get that stupid sabiki caught on:mad:. I have the 15.5 and I load it up on the roof of my SUV several times a week and think the molded in handles work better for me. If you would like to add straps to yours shoot me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction of which hardware we have found works well, there is a couple guys who have added side handles and have had good results. Tight lines.

Jimmyz123 05-20-2015 09:59 AM

Thanks for the review, I've been checking these out as well. CJ did some nice test videos on them out in the surf.

Fishin' Magician 05-21-2015 05:34 AM

Do you have any photos of your new ride?

easyday 05-21-2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin' Magician (Post 228240)
Do you have any photos of your new ride?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...ps0zluuquj.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...pszlajzrps.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...psd75vlhqh.jpg

makobob 05-21-2015 08:46 AM

Josh, those boats of yours are just so DUCKY!!!!!!

Fishin' Magician 05-22-2015 06:48 AM

Looks pretty awesome. Nice yak!

Aznronin 05-22-2015 01:01 PM

I also found that putting more than two rods in the hull can be a pain. Compared to my Trident 15 the Thresher has very limited and super tight hull space. It's also super heavy in the front so when I installed my side carry handles I had to use a sawhorse to figure out its center of gravity to place the handles in the ideal spot. Other than that I think it's a well made kayak. I'll have a better idea of how it paddles once I fish it this weekend. Hopefully it paddles we'll because the last time I had a wilderness systems it was the 160i (back when they first came out) and it paddled beautifully.

easyday 05-22-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aznronin (Post 228364)
I also found that putting more than two rods in the hull can be a pain. Compared to my Trident 15 the Thresher has very limited and super tight hull space. It's also super heavy in the front so when I installed my side carry handles I had to use a sawhorse to figure out its center of gravity to place the handles in the ideal spot. Other than that I think it's a well made kayak. I'll have a better idea of how it paddles once I fish it this weekend. Hopefully it paddles we'll because the last time I had a wilderness systems it was the 160i (back when they first came out) and it paddled beautifully.

The 160i is such a sweet kayak. I haven't paddled a thresher 14 yet let me know what you think. We'll have to fish sometime.

Aznronin 05-22-2015 03:32 PM

Easyday do you have the drop in box for the center hatch? Where can I order that? Mine didn't have one.

easyday 05-22-2015 05:24 PM

You can order through OEX.