Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spineless...... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33347)

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 04:55 AM

Spineless......

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to turn my 8ft graphite rod into a two piece, so I can put it inside my kayak. BTW I don't recommend
useing 8ft graphite rods for kayak fishing in kelp beds easy to snap, if you snag the bottom. This rod has caught 45lb albacore and I like it. The ferrule i'm putting is a locking screw ferrule.

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 05:31 AM

After stripping off, all the old guides .....

1 Attachment(s)
And cutting the rod in half....as im checking the rod for the spine by bending and rolling it .all the sudden I hear a snap SOAB....no offense mom.the second half of the rod brakes about 8ins from the tip.....when rapping a rod you want the spine up for spinning rods and the spine down for conventional reels.well after thinking about moving the tip down...i decided I don't like the action so I think to my self how can I fix this I got nothing to loose now...if it brakes I can always move the tip down just cut and glue a new tip on when im fishing glue stick cigar lighter. So I put a stainless steel rod in side 1/16 with plenty of 2part epoxy...and call it done can't wait to fight a fish and see.i did put an extra rap of thread and flexcoat tho on the joint

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 05:39 AM

1/16 in rod is the biggest...

5 Attachment(s)
I can fit inside blank.....

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 05:47 AM

Guess I don't no my own.........

1 Attachment(s)
Strength ......

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 06:26 AM

I suggest keeping your thread......

1 Attachment(s)
In a Ziploc and out of light....or you will be overlapping to hide the ugly spots in the thread....:D

alanw 08-22-2018 07:35 AM

Dude just put a new tip where it broke, or make a gaff out of the butt end. You can't trust it anymore.

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 07:54 AM

How do you no.....

That's have the fun...seeing if something works....already have a graphite gaff....and plenty of back up fiberglass rods most fish will be released anyway....no big deal if it brakes and I already said I would lower the tip.

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 08:00 AM

The guide will have to crack in half...

To come apart....

Kayak_Bernie 08-22-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 296276)
Dude just put a new tip where it broke, or make a gaff out of the butt end. You can't trust it anymore.

Haha, you have obviously never met Mitchell ;)

alanw 08-22-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie (Post 296285)
Haha, you have obviously never met Mitchell ;)

Actually I have met him, and seen his canoe.. So yea you're right, I shouldn't have said anything - Mitchell is gonna do what Mitchell is gonna do :D

Hunters Pa 08-22-2018 02:04 PM

I would have opted for dropping a scrap piece of blank tip through the larger of the two broken pieces so the taper would fit snug against the inside of the broken tip piece as well as the larger piece. This should splint better as it would be in contact with more surface area on both sides of the break as well as still flex some. Could split an inch or so of blank to splint the outside as well and wrap over it.

Then again, may be really hard to do the inside one if all you could fit was 1/16" metal rod.

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 04:33 PM

Fiberglass backup

1 Attachment(s)
In case there's a point break :D

MITCHELL 08-22-2018 06:40 PM

It broke....no flex in stainless rod

Stayed bent:ack2: now I will have a two piece stiff graphite rod .i May not be the sharpest tool in the sheld but i no there is no success without failure.

MITCHELL 08-23-2018 04:04 AM

Big bait.....

1 Attachment(s)
Needs stiffer rod....

MITCHELL 08-31-2018 04:41 AM

In honor of......

1 Attachment(s)
Barnum & Bailey...

tacmik 08-31-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 296307)
Stayed bent:ack2: now I will have a two piece stiff graphite rod .i May not be the sharpest tool in the sheld but i no there is no success without failure.

Remember. The sharpest tool with all their fancy degrees look at something or try to solve a problem and when they can't, say it cannot be done. Us that have had to make do all our lives, keep trying until the problem is solve. Keep trying Mitch, you will fix it or solve it.

MITCHELL 08-31-2018 08:04 AM

Thanks Mike

I wish I would have heat treated the rod first it would have hardened it instead of soft and bending like a wire just to sea...

WestFork 08-31-2018 08:42 PM

I have added a ferrule to a one-piece blank, Duke, by cutting out about 1/4 inch of the blank at the desired point for the ferrule, then inserting in from the rod butt a 2" to 3" long piece of solid glass or graphite rod which matches the rod taper. About half of this ferrule would project into the tip section after it was secured into the butt section with epoxy. Sturdy wrap over both the butt of the tip section and the tip of the butt section followed.
I was never comfortable really loading up a rod with this sort of ferrule, but with the right material the ferrule flexed nicely and gave a smoother curve for ultralight fishing. It looked classy, too!
Ymmv. :-)

MITCHELL 09-01-2018 07:03 AM

Sweet.....

:reeling:

kirkdavis 09-01-2018 07:42 AM

Another thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITCHELL (Post 296572)
I wish I would have heat treated the rod first it would have hardened it instead of soft and bending like a wire just to sea...

Instead of hardening, start with spring steel. I think I like the other gent's idea of a fiberglass or carbon insert though.