Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thresher Shark in DP 5/31 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35296)

Salty 05-31-2020 06:19 PM

Thresher Shark in DP 5/31

4 Attachment(s)
Started out a bit earlier today with a buddy. On the water at about 7:15. Got a scoop of bait at the barge and was planning to go to the drop off. On the way out, about a mile or so, I hear my buddy behind me hooting and hollering. I look around in time to see the shark launching out of the water. Circled back to watch the fight and help if he needed it(and of course get pics and videos....). Spun him in circles and dragged him all over the place for at least 45 minutes before he got it to the side of the kayak. Was awesome watching it launch from the water over and over and make powerful runs. Best part is, yesterday he finally broke down and bought a Penn FathomII 25 2-Speed and a Phenix rod that he had been looking at. This thresher was the first thing he hooked up to with it! Couldn't get a good measurement because he intended to release it and didn't want to use the gaff or tail rope. I'd guess at least 6-7' since it was easily more than half the length of his 13' Ocean Kayak Prowler with that tail. Speaking of, that tail is no joke! Just getting close enough to get it off the line was sketchy as hell. He only took a little slap to the knee though lol. Hope you enjoy the pics!

igotpron 05-31-2020 07:17 PM

Awesome report man!! What did the T go after? I’ve never fished the drop off. What’s that the plan to fish for Ts at the drop off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty 05-31-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotpron (Post 307594)
Awesome report man!! What did the T go after? I’ve never fished the drop off. What’s that the plan to fish for Ts at the drop off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol no! We were planning to drift at the 100-125' area near the drop for halibut or look for rockfish. He was excited to try out the new rod/reel so he was just dropping down on bait balls on the way that he passed over and saw any marks larger than bait underneath. Said the thresher never showed on the FF. Must have been charging the bait from out of range. He was using a sardine on a dropper setup with 3-way barrel swivel. We were both surprised that swivel held up!

FISH11 05-31-2020 09:48 PM

Congrats, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I know when I caught a large one, too big to be landing by myself. It was a more tiring, then the largest Yellowtail, I have ever caught. The sheer power and grace once up to 12' I could not get it up to the surface for 20 more minutes. A lifetime experience.

BenCantrell 06-01-2020 06:45 AM

Wow, that's incredible! And nice job getting pictures!

Southwest Kayak Fishing 06-01-2020 11:19 AM

What an amazing experience! Now you must live your new combo more than you ever thought you would lol

Congrats!!

lowprofile 06-01-2020 11:50 AM

Nice one!

CardShark 06-01-2020 12:26 PM

Awesome! :cheers1:

too_tired 06-01-2020 10:13 PM

Nice I was out near you guys when you hooked up!

Salty 06-01-2020 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by too_tired (Post 307636)
Nice I was out near you guys when you hooked up!

This you?? Lol

TJones 06-02-2020 06:53 AM

Safe catch and release

Plenty of guys here would harvest that. What an amazing creature to witness first hand. Good for you guys to release. :notworthy: Great report.

SoCalEDC 06-02-2020 08:11 AM

Great report, very cool fish. They are so damn strong.