Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gaff length? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3813)

flip4i 08-20-2008 06:21 PM

Gaff length?

Hi everyone:

Just wondering what is the most effective gaff length from the yak. I'm in the market or may build one.

tylerdurden 08-20-2008 06:32 PM

No matter how long your gaff is, it always needs to be a little longer to reach a fish.

Seriously 2-4' is what most people choose.

flip4i 08-22-2008 07:59 PM

In that case, might as well go with the 4 footer. Thanks!

trob 08-23-2008 09:04 AM

Actually, i seem to always want my gaff to be shorter than it already is. Its about 2.5 feet plus the hook. You have a lot more control, and thats huge on the yak.
I typically like to gaff and immediately drag it up onto my lap. longer gaffs get in the way. Everyone does it differently.

Billy V 08-23-2008 09:54 AM

3 ft. seem just right, it gives you good leverage and control.

dorado50 08-23-2008 10:27 AM

I saw a guy last week that five foot long gaff, :doh:It was as long as his rods!!!!!!!!!!

Willy 08-23-2008 10:41 AM

Also, think about the length and strength of your arm.
If you have long arms, that means another possible two + feet on your gaff. Some like a longer gaff to help increase their pulling strength, or to allow it to slip a bit.
Mine is about 24", but I have long arms and can reach it over four feet to the tip.
Obviously, think about how you're going to store it on the boat, that may make the length decision for you.

Willy

Matt 08-24-2008 11:14 AM

I agree with Tyler on this one completely!! I use a 40" gaff which seems long but alot of the time its just about right! Anywhere between 2'-4' will work just perfect!

THE DARKHORSE 08-24-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerdurden (Post 28346)
No matter how long your gaff is, it always needs to be a little longer to reach a fish.

Seriously 2-4' is what most people choose.

:iagree: Like anything, pros and cons to both, but one more vote for long.

Handymansd 08-24-2008 05:26 PM

I really like the extendability of the gaff by... Promar? On my second one, but it has the versatility of stowing short and gaffing long.

aguachico 08-24-2008 07:56 PM

4feet. fish swins away from the boat, swims into the point. No stabbing necessary.

Trout 08-24-2008 10:34 PM

I go with the short hand gaff. I see it like when you start hammering a nail. You don't hold the end and swing wildly... you choke up and keep it tight for more control... just a short extension of your own hand. When I'm on a yak I like everything with a low center of gravity keeping things in control. If I gaff a big fish and it's several feet out I don't feel like I have as much control. My 2 cents. I guess you can have a long gaff and choke up... old school little style. Aguachico is definitely OLD school. Sorry Art... you set yourself up for that one.

aguachico 08-25-2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 28544)
Aguachico is definitely OLD school. Sorry Art... you set yourself up for that one.

There goes the neighborhood :D.

No worries, gaff length is not too important on the scale of things. It usually ends up being a personal preference. I wrapped my bamboo gaff using the thinner part of the length. It's lighter than most 4 foot gaffs which makes it long one hander. I like a 1/0,2/0 size hook - good for head shots. Also wrapping your own enables you to change the hook when necessary.

dorado50 08-25-2008 12:46 PM

In my opinion a shorter gaff (24"max) gives one more control as to where to place the hook. I like to bring the fish towards the boat and myself, horizonal to the water, place hook under the fish as you are guiding fish toward boat, as fish comes closer pull up gently and you got yourself a nicely gaffed fish. Did I mention next step, pull into kayak.

aguachico 08-25-2008 01:09 PM

I go with bambo, thanks c-level - because it's light, thin and strong - so a 4foot gaff is easily handled. I doubled the handle cord thickness for comfort - good idea for big hands. Again it's whatever works.

So back to original question for the Flip4i. Buy a 3 foot wooden gaff from squidco and trim it too what fits you after each fish you gaff. With this summer's bonanza of YT, it shouldn't take long.

cabojohn 08-26-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 28580)
In my opinion a shorter gaff (24"max) gives one more control as to where to place the hook. I like to bring the fish towards the boat and myself, horizonal to the water, place hook under the fish as you are guiding fish toward boat, as fish comes closer pull up gently and you got yourself a nicely gaffed fish. Did I mention next step, pull into kayak.

x2
I like the short gaff also...20"
I find it is much easier to handle a hot fish with a short gaff.:stoned::farmer:

esdees 08-26-2008 10:52 AM

I used a hay hook for a while, which was exciting, but unfortunately I lost it one day. My current gaff is about 3' long, maybe a little shorter.

bloodykayak 08-27-2008 03:55 PM

I have an extendable gaff, it is 29" closed and 49" open. It works great not to mention it floats if accidently droped.

flip4i 08-27-2008 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. With this new information. I think its best to go with an adjustable to be able to play around with my preference.

SESSAGAFF 07-02-2009 01:18 PM

1 to 2 foot

all titamium mine float no worries about them sinking