Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Looking for a mentor this winter break! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30317)

Kadams 12-07-2016 08:56 AM

Looking for a mentor this winter break!

I have some time off starting next weekend and I was hoping to go out to La Jolla to catch a yellowtail! Is it still possible this late? If not what are some good bigger target species I should go for in late December/ early January

rossman 12-07-2016 12:33 PM

It is pretty safe to say that there are yellows caught every month of the year off La Jolla. My experience is that there are bigger ones to be had in the fall and winter months. I am mainly a jig fisherman and always do better in these months. Surprised no one has stepped up to offer to help you with the basics but you will find folks at the launch around sunrise who will generally answer questions for you. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadams (Post 272526)
I have some time off starting next weekend and I was hoping to go out to La Jolla to catch a yellowtail! Is it still possible this late? If not what are some good bigger target species I should go for in late December/ early January

Denis_Ruso 12-08-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 272536)
Surprised no one has stepped up to offer to help you with the basics but you will find folks at the launch around sunrise who will generally answer questions for you. Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing. Surprised no one has offered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadams (Post 272526)

La Jolla is a bit out of my range or I would take you out. No harm in meeting people at the launch. I'm sure if you brought a few extra beers you could ask someone to tag along with out there.

To state the obvious, keep it safe. Make sure all your safety gear is in order. When starting out, there a lot of factors to consider and get used to. Stick to some harbor fishing until you feel comfortable. If you already have some open water experience get out there and put the time in.

You can target Yellowtail, Halibu or White Seabass as far as the bigger game. Not the most productive months but people still catch em.

Good Luck

jruiz 12-08-2016 08:15 AM

PM Deamon and tell him you are bringing Filipino lumpias out. He'll be out there even before you hit the send button.

kjsdad619 12-08-2016 08:26 AM

I sent you PM yesterday..I'm always willing to share knowledge

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Phishphood 12-08-2016 09:48 AM

I don't know jack about catching big fish right now, but I know how to fish (in theory) so if you want that information or just company I'll be launching tomorrow morning at LJS. Hopefully out on the water another day or two this month as well.

kirkdavis 12-08-2016 10:45 AM

Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 272559)
I don't know jack about catching big fish right now, but I know how to fish (in theory) so if you want that information or just company I'll be launching tomorrow morning at LJS. Hopefully out on the water another day or two this month as well.

My only big Yak fish was a BSB a few weeks ago but I plan on heading out tomorrow as well in a yellow Outback. Trying to put the time in for a big one I can take home and eat.
I have not heard any reports on catching bait lately.

YakDout 12-08-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 272560)
My only big Yak fish was a BSB a few weeks ago but I plan on heading out tomorrow as well in a yellow Outback. Trying to put the time in for a big one I can take home and eat.

I have not heard any reports on catching bait lately.

Where there are bsb there are wsb

kirkdavis 12-08-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 272576)
Where there are bsb there are wsb

I caught it outside of mission bay in 110' of water. Tomorrow I am hitting LJ so I don't have to pedal so far. The day I caught the BSB I launched at Dana Landing and ended up down by the sewer plant on pt Loma. It took me 2 hour 20 minute to pedal back non-stop. Thank goodness for the mirage drive!

YakDout 12-08-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdavis (Post 272577)
I caught it outside of mission bay in 110' of water. Tomorrow I am hitting LJ so I don't have to pedal so far. The day I caught the BSB I launched at Dana Landing and ended up down by the sewer plant on pt Loma. It took me 2 hour 20 minute to pedal back non-stop. Thank goodness for the mirage drive!

I have fished the point loma kelp a bunch of times launching from dana landing. And I am totally with you, can be a pain to get back. Add wind with very fast south current. I actually broke a rudder one time on my PA 14 and was even more of a PITA. The fishing spot can be productive though. I have caught halibut, yellowtail and also bsb around the area you were fishing. Good alternative if Lj surf is a little big, but that doesnt happen much.

Deamon 12-09-2016 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 272554)
PM Deamon and tell him you are bringing Filipino lumpias out. He'll be out there even before you hit the send button.

I have been known to throw out a fishing Rap or two, lol...But Thorogood was more my style...:the_finger:

I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I fish alone
I prefer to be by myself<O:p</O:p

Now every morning just before sunrise
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Wiser
That's all I ever need
'Cause I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else

Yeah, the other night while floating on my plastic<O:p</O:p
I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Hobey
And his partner Low-Rance HD
And I fished alone, yeah
With nobody else

Yeah, the other day I got invited to a fish party
But I stayed outside instead
Just me and my pal Pro-ang
And his brothers Mirage and Drive
And we fished alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah,… <O:p</O:p

makobob 12-09-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 272592)
I have been known to throw out a fishing Rap or two, lol...But Thorogood was more my style...:the_finger:

I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else

That's all I ever need
With nobody else

And I fished alone, yeah
With nobody else

With nobody else

Rap, Rap, Rap. Tap, Tap, Tap. HOOK UP!!!!! RAP ON AMIGO.

Apex 12-12-2016 05:36 PM

Preach on brah...

Saba Slayer 12-12-2016 06:49 PM

Don't give up your gardening job...!

Jim...Don't give up your gardening job...!:cheers1:
The Real Thorogood...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_s8gIQigf7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 272592)

I fish alone, yeah
With nobody else

That's all I ever need
With nobody else

And I fished alone, yeah
With nobody else

With nobody else

Deamon 12-13-2016 03:10 AM

You know you just dated yourself...all these younger dudes are like, who or what is Thorogood, lol?
Awesome stuff Jimmy. :luxhello:

Jim

Mahigeer 12-13-2016 06:47 AM

Nice recording.

Was it with GoPro, or cable camera?

Saba Slayer 12-13-2016 08:21 AM

thread jack

Might as well continue on with this thread jack...:confused:

Hasheem...It's GoPro footage experimenting with some red lighting to see it's effect on lobsters. I only have a B/W cable camera.

Deamon 12-13-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 272701)
Might as well continue on with this thread jack.

Well, you got Jonnie (I'm not Hispanic) Ruiz to thank for that. :the_finger:

Zed 12-13-2016 10:01 AM

Worst wrapper ever.
And your man erinoo on the 1n2s too.
:notworthy:

Deamon 12-13-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 272703)
Worst wrapper ever.
And your man erinoo on the 1n2s too.
:notworthy:

You dudes launched...Eric and I got a half dozen cuties phone numbers...SEAR EE US LEE :reeling: