Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Updated* Eye of The Storm - Campo La Poma, Baja MX (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31880)

Baja_Traveler 09-12-2017 11:23 AM

I've never been asked for one also, and I'm about 50/50 getting one - and I've never once returned it.
I have read reports on Vagabundos that people have been asked to show one down at the GN checkpoint. When they couldnt, they were instructed to head back home, because they were not going any further south without it.
I've always in the past got the free one, no matter how long I was going - I figured that worst case if I was checked on the way home what could they do - send me home?
This new turn in policy is going to backfire on them unless they make it so the form can be turned over while in the return side of the crossing. If they make it too much of a hassle, either nobody will get one or tourists will simply stop going.
Maybe Trump will get the idea to charge every Mexican National crossing north the same FMM fee - then Mexico really will pay for the wall...

Dannowar 09-12-2017 12:05 PM

Yup. Got checked and charged twenty pesos agriculture fee at guerro negro Jan 2

CON KSO 09-12-2017 02:05 PM

I got checked once at GN in '93. Never since. Wasn't told to go home, was told to go to a bank in La Paz and pay the fee, which I did. Easy enough to get the 180 day tourist card in Tecate. I do it every time we drive down for the winter break. Also easy enough to drive right around the check point outside of GN (take a right at the airport as you come into GN, take a left near the dunes and drive into the back of town). I'd rather just play by their rules - especially if I happen to get into a fender bender.

makobob 09-12-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CON KSO (Post 285796)
I got checked once at GN in '93. Never since. Wasn't told to go home, was told to go to a bank in La Paz and pay the fee, which I did. Easy enough to get the 180 day tourist card in Tecate. I do it every time we drive down for the winter break. Also easy enough to drive right around the check point outside of GN (take a right at the airport as you come into GN, take a left near the dunes and drive into the back of town). I'd rather just play by their rules - especially if I happen to get into a fender bender.

Big holiday weeks would worry me. Heard about two guys who got turned back from San Felipe last 4th of July.

SDROB 09-12-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 285797)
Big holiday weeks would worry me. Heard about two guys who got turned back from San Felipe last 4th of July.

I believe it and have heard of similar stories.

However me visiting on U.S. Holiday weekends and never having a problem or issue makes me question the people whom got turned back. Meaning how did they act/communicate with the military?

I would imagine anyone with an attitude or any sign of disrespect would make it an easy call for the military to turn you around in SF if you didn't have everything in order.

CON KSO 09-12-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 285797)

Yep- thanksgiving week at rossman's... I'll pick mine up in Tecate when I cross. CANNOT WAIT for that trip.... getting my calico flies ready!

Glenlivinit 09-12-2017 04:53 PM

Very nice report, and enjoyed the video.
Looking forward to my first trip on the 25th, I will try and give half as good a story:reeling:

chris138 09-12-2017 06:15 PM

Great post Denis. Loved the video edit as well. Sometimes it pays to just go! :cheers1:

makobob 09-12-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 285811)
Great post Denis. Loved the video edit as well. Sometimes it pays to just go! :cheers1:

Been telling you guys JUST DO IT

Denis_Ruso 09-13-2017 07:46 AM

Thanks everyone. It was my intention to relay how much of an adventure and experience a trip down here can be.

I still find myself thinking in Spanish a little and adjustment to the daily grind has been slow.

Dannowar 09-13-2017 10:20 AM

Hit me up when you go again. I'll show you spots that will blow your mind.

dos ballenas 09-13-2017 10:38 AM

In regards to the tourist visa it is a no brainier. Get it and get the paid one every time.

It just might keep you out of jail for the rest of your life... a very small price to pay for your freedom!

I've been told many times by many people that if you get into a car accident in Baja you want (NEED) to have that paid tourist visa. Especially if the accident was your fault (which the police almost always assume it is) and there were injuries or any loss of life involved.

Basically I was told by Discover Baja and other insurance agencies that the police have the option to VOID your Mexican auto insurance and throw you in jail if you don't have a paid tourist visa.

When going to a foreign country the smartest thing to do is have all your ducks in a line and cover all your bases in terms of being legal and safety. I will gladly pay $25 for peace of mind when travelling below the border!

dos ballenas 09-13-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 285777)
they all got gringo taxed. i don't even get one anymore

future Darwin award winner talk

Very bad advice from a Baja "veteran"

Just because your experiences have led you to feel the tourist visa isn't necessary doesn't make the laws any less real.

Denis_Ruso 09-13-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 285844)
Hit me up when you go again. I'll show you spots that will blow your mind.

I'll take you up on that offer. I saw some of your vids and deff wana check out that flat reef off punta bufeo. Didn't know that was there.

Dannowar 09-13-2017 10:48 AM

Updated* Eye of The Storm - Campo La Poma, Baja MX

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos ballenas (Post 285846)
future Darwin award winner talk

Very bad advice from a Baja "veteran"

Just because your experiences have led you to feel the tourist visa isn't necessary doesn't make the laws any less real.

It wasn't advice. It was my preference

Baja bound is a company that makes money off of you. Of course they will say that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannowar 09-13-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 285847)
I'll take you up on that offer. I saw some of your vids and deff wana check out that flat reef off punta bufeo. Didn't know that was there.

Hmmm. Not really sure which one you're talking about. Bufeo can be magical at times. Seen almost every species imaginable there including wsb and TOAD yt even roosters. The grade of cabrilla is always good if you get them during the right time of year.

That being said, do yourself a favor and explore some of the seamounts. You will see fish populations double in quantity and quality. Work on your freediving. Once you can successfully hunt at 50-70 feet Baja will become a whole new experience for you.

makobob 09-13-2017 12:18 PM

I get my paid Fmm because at my age ONE minute in a mexican jail would be a MEXICAN ADVENTURE I would gladly do WITHOUT!!! Tight Lines migos.

Denis_Ruso 09-13-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 285851)
Hmmm. Not really sure which one you're talking about. Bufeo can be magical at times. Seen almost every species imaginable there including wsb and TOAD yt even roosters. The grade of cabrilla is always good if you get them during the right time of year.

That being said, do yourself a favor and explore some of the seamounts. You will see fish populations double in quantity and quality. Work on your freediving. Once you can successfully hunt at 50-70 feet Baja will become a whole new experience for you.

Cool cool, noted. I'm pretty comfortable down to 30 ft for now. I'm sure I can hit 50 with my current breath-hold but haven't tried due to my dive buddies not really being on the same page. As lame as it sounds, Safety first for me when it comes to diving.

It was that shore dive video you posted. Reef was kinda like a shelf.

Seamounts will be for next time. Saw a decent one on the backside of La Poma during low tide but did not get to jump in. We were with a mixed crowd of non-fisherman, fisherman and divers. Only 2/4 had free dive gear.

makobob 09-15-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 285860)
Cool cool, noted. I'm pretty comfortable down to 30 ft for now. I'm sure I can hit 50 with my current breath-hold but haven't tried due to my dive buddies not really being on the same page. As lame as it sounds, Safety first for me when it comes to diving.

It was that shore dive video you posted. Reef was kinda like a shelf.

Seamounts will be for next time. Saw a decent one on the backside of La Poma during low tide but did not get to jump in. We were with a mixed crowd of non-fisherman, fisherman and divers. Only 2/4 had free dive gear.

The divers can free dive while the fishermen fish, been there, done that with Danno. Tight Lines amigos.

pierreyaldo 10-06-2017 05:10 PM

hard to beat! man I miss camping at Bobs. Hope youre well man!