Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MLPA: Close-up closure maps at WON (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9245)

PAL 01-25-2011 04:02 PM

MLPA: Close-up closure maps at WON

Detail maps of the pending South Coast MLPA closures are now available at the Western Outdoor News website. http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=910&AuthorID=59046&t=MLPA%20MAP%20UPD ATES:%20WON's%20exclusive%20maps%20%20detail%20SoC al%20borders

The maps are zoomed in closely along the MPA boundaries to make it easy to determine their locations by landmarks.

You'll also find the fishing regulations in plain English.

This is still a work in progress. If you find an error or need clarification, please let me know. This is meant to be an easy to read 'cheat sheet' for anglers.

dsafety 01-25-2011 04:23 PM

Getting a "server error in application". Does this mean that too many of us are trying to view the page?

Bob

dorado50 01-25-2011 04:50 PM

What a JOKE, the best spots in LJ are closed. I can't even fish in my front yard! Boat or kayak makes no difference. Somehow these liberals need to be stopped. :p

mtnbykr2 01-25-2011 04:52 PM

yeah,
when you click on the maps it disappears, I will have to check it out when I get home...but it aint over till its over keep the faith...

deepdvr 01-25-2011 04:58 PM

Guess I'll have to call a 40lb. YT 'finbait' after I land him north of the pier. I'll tell DFG I was planning on re-baiting him for a shot at the taxman. :rolleyes:

PAL 01-25-2011 05:25 PM

Works for me, although IT was working on the site earlier today and could be back at it.

Link again via Tiny URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6l69rlm

Amish Ed 01-25-2011 05:55 PM

If I read it right; I can still C&R from my yak most of my favorite areas of south Laguna and Corona Del Mar. Outside the triangle seems to mean that. Overall this sucks!

Thanks for posting this Paul.

m1k3midg3 01-25-2011 07:22 PM

whats the difference between the red and the blue?

PAL 01-25-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

If I read it right; I can still C&R from my yak most of my favorite areas of south Laguna and Corona Del Mar. Outside the triangle seems to mean that. Overall this sucks!
Ed, if it's outside that red / blue triangle, you can C&R or C&E. The only take restrictions in the Dana Pt SMCA relate to tidepools.

Quote:

whats the difference between the red and the blue?
All areas marked in red are slated for closure whenever this thing goes final. The blues areas range from totally closed to fully open for fishing. Was there a particular area you are wondering about?

PAL 01-26-2011 08:21 AM

Story updated with overview maps for La Jolla, PV, Pt Dume and Santa Barbara.

Jimmyz123 01-26-2011 08:32 AM

Thanks for putting this all together. It really helps to understand what we are going to see happen, if the state is dumb enough to let it happen.

mermaidhunter 01-26-2011 09:50 AM

this blows..... alot!

lterrero 01-26-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 74022)
What a JOKE, the best spots in LJ are closed. I can't even fish in my front yard! Boat or kayak makes no difference. Somehow these liberals need to be stopped. :p

Yeah, all these regulations, what impact can kayaks anglers do to ecology specially to those migratory fish and how many you can catch or fit in you kayak; freedom is only a word & a fishing license is only $48.35

wiredantz 01-26-2011 11:41 AM

I can't even tell what part of la jolla is open, it just looks like the area around the pier is open while everything else is red.

PAL 01-26-2011 12:10 PM

^It is bad, no denying. If we hadn't fought tooth and nail, we would have lost all of La Jolla. That didn't happen.

Here's the deal. When and if this goes into effect, the north-south reserve line will be pushed out to the point. From there, you can fish south to the end of Windnsea and north and west as far as you want. Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.

Look at the La Jolla overview map. I'm taking about that big open space between the two MPA clusters (that last word is SO appropriate).

http://www.wonews.com/images/blogNov2010/40mlpa.jpg

I don't mean to undersell the impact, which is huge. BUT - it is just plain wrong to say all of La Jolla is going, going, gone. We retain access to the most popular sections. I can't tell you how much effort that took, into the 1,000s of man hours from the hardcore at of BWE, Baytubers, KSF, etc.

That isn't good enough to me, so I support the Ocean Access Protection Fund - a legal war chest for anglers. You should too.

Don't forget Keep America Fishing either, another worthy place to send money to battle this thing.

Jimmyz123 01-26-2011 12:16 PM

Thanks PAL for posting all of this and thanks to EVERYONE who has, is, and will keep fighting this. Some of us may not have been able to attend the meetings but we still are giving our support in the ways that we can. I support the Keep America Fishing and have and will keep donating to help the fight.

I can't afford the money to be donating, but I do want my son to be able to fish in the same waters I did and still will fish in. I've said it before that I think some how some way I think this will all get thrown out some how.

wiredantz 01-26-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 74085)
^It is bad, no denying. If we hadn't fought tooth and nail, we would have lost all of La Jolla. That didn't happen.

Here's the deal. When and if this goes into effect, the north-south reserve line will be pushed out to the point. From there, you can fish south to the end of Windnsea and north and west as far as you want. Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.

Look at the La Jolla overview map. I'm taking about that big open space between the two MPA clusters (that last word is SO appropriate).

I don't mean to undersell the impact, which is huge. BUT - it is just plain wrong to say all of La Jolla is going, going, gone. We retain access to the most popular sections. I can't tell you how much effort that took, into the 1,000s of man hours from the hardcore at of BWE, Baytubers, KSF, etc.

That isn't good enough to me, so I support the Ocean Access Protection Fund - a legal war chest for anglers. You should too.

Don't forget Keep America Fishing either, another worthy place to send money to battle this thing.

so when this goes through the OEX shop will be in RED and you will have to paddle for a 1 mile and a half in order to go fishing?

dorado50 01-26-2011 02:14 PM

the best LJ fishing is just past the current reserve and out to Pt.LJ. They might as well close the whole damn thing! BASTARDS...:the_finger:

Aaron&Julie 01-26-2011 03:49 PM

Scripps

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAL (Post 74085)
Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.

Paul,
We're a little confused about the blue area around Scripps pier. Since blue areas are either totally open or fully closed, wouldn't that make the blue area at and north of the pier fully open for fishing of all types, besides bait? If so, then one wouldn't have to go all the way north to the glider port to start fishing north, correct?
Thanks.

PAL 01-26-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

We're a little confused about the blue area around Scripps pier. Since blue areas are either totally open or fully closed, wouldn't that make the blue area at and north of the pier fully open for fishing of all types, besides bait? If so, then one wouldn't have to go all the way north to the glider port to start fishing north, correct?
I'm glad you asked. The blue areas range from closed to fishing to totally open. It is very confusing - you have to look MPA by MPA for the regulations.

That blue splotch that starts at the pier is the San Diego-Scripps Coastal SMCA. Here are plain English regs:

Quote:

San Diego-Scripps Coastal SMCA, La Jolla - No fishing except baitfish by hook and line. Southern boundary at base of Scripps Pier. Northern boundary is off the La Jolla Farms area, south of the Glider Port. Closed area includes Black's Beach.
If you looked up the actual regs, you'd see it listed as "coastal pelagics by hook and line" or some such. Coastal pelagics are sardines, anchovies, and mackerel etc. Yellowtail are NOT coastal pelagics, and neither are squid.

Quote:

so when this goes through the OEX shop will be in RED and you will have to paddle for a 1 mile and a half in order to go fishing?
That isn't accurate if by OEX you mean the beach launch at Avenida de la Playa. Right now the reserve boundary is roughly a half mile out. Pushing the boundary to the point makes the trip about 2/3 of a mile one way. We battled it hard but never made headway.

Aside from losing the inside fishing grounds (:( ), at the typical paddling speed of 3 miles an hour, that trip out will take 7 minutes longer.