Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Transporting Yak in a truck bed. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11434)

CheapPelican 09-21-2011 08:22 PM

Transporting Yak in a truck bed.

1 Attachment(s)
Whats the best way to secure a kayak in a truck bed? I usually transport my kayak on top of a ladder rack, but this weekend I'll be hauling two boats.

My X-13 will go on the rack and the Castaway will get the bed. I strapped it down laying diagnoly in the bed with the nose in one corner to hold down. There is one strap across the seat area linking the rear tiedowns. I ran the other strap through the side carry handles and atatched them to the front tiedowns to keep it from sliding back.

Attachment 4975

It seems secure enough but I'm a little worried about putting too much tension on the carry handles. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a receiver hitch so a bed extender isn't an option.

maui jim 09-22-2011 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
get one of these....:cool:

467echo 09-22-2011 06:57 AM

looks good to me!

mtnbykr2 09-22-2011 07:27 AM

roll with that, looks like it will be fine:reel:

bus kid 09-22-2011 07:36 AM

Make sure to have a red flag on the end hanging off the bed and lights if you will be driving during in the dark.

467echo 09-22-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 95326)
Make sure to have a red flag on the end hanging off the bed and lights if you will be driving during in the dark.

Legally you should be fine without a flag, I think the law is anything over 4 feet. But heck, how hard is it to tie a red rag to it.

bus kid 09-22-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 467echo (Post 95328)
Legally you should be fine without a flag, I think the law is anything over 4 feet. But heck, how hard is it to tie a red rag to it.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...e/overhang.htm

LAMP OR FLAG ON PROJECTIONS:
Per CVC Section 24604, whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:
  • a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
  • during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear.

richard67b 09-22-2011 10:31 AM

RED FLAG AND (I USE RED CEM LIGHT AT NIGHT) LIGHT :D:D

reefer 09-22-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 95279)
Whats the best way to secure a kayak in a truck bed? I usually transport my kayak on top of a ladder rack, but this weekend I'll be hauling two boats.

My X-13 will go on the rack and the Castaway will get the bed. I strapped it down laying diagnoly in the bed with the nose in one corner to hold down. There is one strap across the seat area linking the rear tiedowns. I ran the other strap through the side carry handles and atatched them to the front tiedowns to keep it from sliding back.

Attachment 4975

It seems secure enough but I'm a little worried about putting too much tension on the carry handles. Any other suggestions?

I don't have a receiver hitch so a bed extender isn't an option.

I have Ford ranger.....most of the time, i also carry two kayak. i place them the same way you have it shown in picture and the other one, up-side down on top of the bottom kayak. Cheaper than buying a rack and less air-wind hitting them from falling off the roof. I always have a handfull of red flags, i got free from Home Depot. Also bought this cool lights at Home Depot that light up red,The Life+Gear LED Glow Flashlight serves as both a flashlight and a glow stick, Flashers. That i Also use at night.

CheapPelican 09-22-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maui jim (Post 95311)

No thanks. After the fourth month of pumping gas in to that thing I would have spent enough to buy a hobie outback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 95326)

Won't be driving in the dark, but I didn't think about the bow obscuring my drivers side tail light. I think I'll wedge my milk crate between it and the bed wall to get it clear of the brake light. That should keep the John Q Laws off my back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefer (Post 95374)
...I always have a handfull of red flags, i got free from Home Depot....

Exactly what I was going to use.