Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A YT Virgin No Longer (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26019)

RookieYakker 06-30-2015 08:16 AM

A YT Virgin No Longer

1 Attachment(s)
It's no BFT, 4 pack, or 2 pack, but you never forget your first!

Headed out last Friday at about 7, and wasn't too happy to see the crabs were still hanging out. They only seemed to be close to the kelp, and I didn't have too much trouble making bait.

Thanks to whoever was heading in with one YT poking up from his bait tank who told me to head further south and into deeper water. I was fly lining one greenie and added a weight to another to hopefully hit more of the water column.

The clicker started singing and a few minutes later, after wrapping itself around the other line, I eventually had in on the gaff and was bleeding it out. Thank you to all the guys who have posted videos and notes so that I could learn how to sink the gaff and land the fish!

It ended up being 18 lbs with an empty stomach. After somewhere between 20-25 trips to LJ I'm sure as hell happy to have finally popped my cherry!

On a side note, is trolling two baits a bad idea? Do they always get tangled? Then again, does it really matter if they get tangled?

Thanks again for the posts that helped me be more prepared!

blitzburgh 06-30-2015 09:13 AM

Way to go! :cheers1:

Iceman 06-30-2015 09:30 AM

Congrats, should be the kind of Summer where a lot of guys will get their firsts! Nice to see nobody is trying to squash the STOKE! :D

Silbaugh4liberty 06-30-2015 09:43 AM

Nice Job! Glad those trips finally paid off for ya!

kjsdad619 06-30-2015 09:54 AM

Congrats

Congrats on your first! I am still trying to get my first and thank you for saying where to head out to, I'll head farther south on the west side of the beds and give it a shot!

And also did it hit the one with weight or did it just hit the fly line???

Geno Machino 06-30-2015 11:13 AM

Great job!!!

I'm still rigging my first yak up with safety devices and getting the bait tank working...hopefully I too will be able to create my first first post 😎

Caden 06-30-2015 11:42 AM

Congrats on ur 1st YT and more to come

iethinker 06-30-2015 06:40 PM

Congratulations

Its a good feeling!

FISH11 06-30-2015 06:57 PM

Congratulations on the first Yellow. It will taste the sweetest. Since I started using circle hooks, after hooking up and pulling a couple of minutes. I can put the pole down with a looser drag set my leg on top and quickly pull in my other line so they won't cross. I had lost other fish in the past from lines getting crossed, not anymore. Love circle hooks, they don't come off no matter how many head shakes.

Cadillyak 06-30-2015 07:25 PM

And it starts. That first yellow I tell ya!! I remember mine like it was yesterday. It damn near was. I'm still earning my stripes trying to become a vet. But that's 1/2 the fun. Congrats on a good fish!

surfisher 06-30-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 232010)
Congratulations on the first Yellow. It will taste the sweetest. Since I started using circle hooks, after hooking up and pulling a couple of minutes. I can put the pole down with a looser drag set my leg on top and quickly pull in my other line so they won't cross. I had lost other fish in the past from lines getting crossed, not anymore. Love circle hooks, they don't come off no matter how many head shakes.

x2 Circle hooks are awesome.

RookieYakker 07-01-2015 06:03 PM

I've always used ringed 2/O J hooks, but I'll pick up some circle hooks next time and give them a try. People seem to think pretty strongly one side or the other in that debate!

kjsdad619 - It hit on the fly line! Stay after it!