Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Salt Creek Beach (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12034)

Devildawgjj 11-29-2011 04:06 AM

Salt Creek Beach

Anyone ever try to launch from here? It is popular for surfers, so I'm a little hesitant in tackleing 4ft+ waves. I'm too lazy (out of shape) to row from DPH up there. It's like 1.5 NM or about an hour and a half for me.:(

Is there better places south of Laguna?

taggermike 11-29-2011 08:15 AM

When I lived in OC I launched out of Salt Creek once. Even with a good kayak cart it's a LONG way up and down that access road. When I reached the beach a life guard told me that "I don't have to let you launch here". He did let me launch but I suppose he could have sent me back up the road dry. Surf launch was tough but doable. Paddled to the kelp and didn't get a bite as I recall. Dicey landing and a long ass trek back up the hill. I'll try about any thing once but I never did go back. There are places to launch in Laguna but most involve going down a bluff or stair case and parking can be a drag. Mike

Devildawgjj 11-29-2011 08:20 AM

Thank you sir! I will take heed from your experiance, and find another northern location to launch from.

yani 11-29-2011 08:23 AM

We all get out of shape. I'm trying to shed 30lbs
now. There's no better way than to paddle from the
marina. Leave in the am, and the wind will push you
home in the pm.

You can launch from Salt Creek, but only when the
surf is small, and at the very north end of the beach.
However, that's a long walk.

but common on, don't you want to look like that stud
in your avatar?

Darkstar 11-29-2011 08:44 AM

Fishermans Cove

:cheers1:

Iceman 11-29-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Fishermans Cove
thinking that one manana.

Salt Creek is such a long paddle from baby beach.

Mr. Adventure 11-29-2011 09:32 AM

Do you go south out of fishermans cove or North along the coast? I've launched out of Crescent Bay and headed North to Crystal Cove, either way good fishing? Thanks!

Iceman 11-29-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Do you go south out of fishermans cove or North along the coast?
Yes :D

thinking north manana......and west to see if the squid are still thick. :jig:

Devildawgjj 11-29-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yani (Post 101455)
but common on, don't you want to look like that stud
in your avatar?

That guy hasn't been seen for 2 1/2 years....:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 101460)
Salt Creek is such a long paddle from baby beach.

Tell me about it! I only made it San Juan Rock before my arms fell off. Then I realized I had to paddle back:eek:

I was looking at the bassyak motor, but cannot rationalize spending what I paid for my yak for everything I have.

Mr. Adventure 11-29-2011 11:11 AM

Cool maybe I'll see you out there iceman. Think I'll paddle up to crystal cove and drift back. I'll be the guy in the busted tandem clearly not knowing what he's doing hah hah

lowprofile 11-29-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildawgjj (Post 101465)
That guy hasn't been seen for 2 1/2 years....:)

Tell me about it! I only made it San Juan Rock before my arms fell off. Then I realized I had to paddle back:eek:

I was looking at the bassyak motor, but cannot rationalize spending what I paid for my yak for everything I have.

just suck it up and paddle. think about how many strokes it takes to equivilate one pullup. you'll be gettin that 20 again in no time.

Matar 11-29-2011 01:56 PM

Fishermans Cove
How is the launch there?
How is the parking? Anything to watch out for?

Mr. Adventure 11-29-2011 02:01 PM

I think you have to carry down stairs, I've used crescent bay one cove over because it has a paved hill leading down to the beach that I can roll it down

Amish Ed 11-29-2011 02:12 PM

Try Divers cove. There's a walkway to the beach. Steep drop, but not too long and no stairs. If you turn off PCH onto Cliff Dr (at the Laguna Beach Art Museum) and head north. It's the last cove on the left before the road cuts inland. There's some free parking there too. I'm probably going to launch there next monday.

Devildawgjj get an iPod. Makes all the difference on the long paddles. I know what you mean though, that's a long ass paddle when you're lazy like me.

Mr. Adventure 11-29-2011 03:22 PM

Sweet I'll give divers cove a go tomorrow. I have trail running in the morning so I'll probably launch around 2 or so. I'll bring two hoop nets with me just incase.

GregAndrew 11-29-2011 03:27 PM

Launch from the boat ramp at Dana to cut down at least 1/2 mile paddle on the round trip. Costs $10 but you also get free wash down there, just bring your own hose and the correct change for the toll.

coxtanker421 11-29-2011 03:47 PM

No such thing as a lazy Marine

:gnorsi:

Amish Ed 11-29-2011 04:06 PM

Good thing I'm not a marine. Our country would be screwed.:D

Devildawgjj 11-29-2011 05:09 PM

I'm going to ask the War Dept. (wife) if it's a go for me on Thursday morning :D.
I'll just recon the area and see what's practical for me to launch from.

For those that don't know....Marine is always capitalized.;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CAbLl3y4-1...0/Army+Fat.jpg

lowprofile 11-30-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coxtanker421 (Post 101489)
:gnorsi:

just tired ones. ;)