Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dana Thursday (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29829)

Snags 08-20-2016 09:39 AM

Dana Thursday

1 Attachment(s)
Hit Dana Thursday at 6am. Glassy conditions with no wind. Caught a few big macs near the harbour mouth and trolled north for a while. No bites. Threw some plastics around the red marker and big boiler rock for 4 calicos.
Lots of small bait around but not a lot going on (at least for me). Not much kelp on surface. Swell was a bit lumpy and coming from all directions. Sun started to bake and wind picked up around noon. Off the water by 1. A few other guys out but didn't get close enough to see how they did. Always good to be out there.

jbl_91762 08-20-2016 12:54 PM

Why does the wind and chop always hit on weekends?!!! Arggghhhh.. Fished mouth and then out to Headlands Today 8/20 In water 6:30 picked up a scoop of dines. All I had was a small WSB. Water was 64, probably why marina was actually dead Paddled right up to bait barge at 6:30. Oh well, at least I didn't get skunked! Off water by 11:30

alanw 08-20-2016 04:52 PM

The weather has been this way all summer. I told a retired neighbor to watch it's nice during the workweeks and windy on the weekends. He said no way, but then played attention for months and now he says I was right.

Anyway, last weekend I was out in the wind. Lots of 6"-7" Macs closer to the beaches and bigger 11"-12" Macs further out but not as abundant. I was stoked, caught my first Bonito of the summer near the harbor mouth trolling a waxwing even though the water cooled down to 68°. Was hoping for more Bonito tomorrow but water dropped again to 64°? That's gonna hurt fishing for sure.

kirkdavis 08-20-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 267665)
The weather has been this way all summer. I told a retired neighbor to watch it's nice during the workweeks and windy on the weekends. He said no way, but then played attention for months and now he says I was right.

Anyway, last weekend I was out in the wind. Lots of 6"-7" Macs closer to the beaches and bigger 11"-12" Macs further out but not as abundant. I was stoked, caught my first Bonito of the summer near the harbor mouth trolling a waxwing even though the water cooled down to 68°. Was hoping for more Bonito tomorrow but water dropped again to 64°? That's gonna hurt fishing for sure.

Today I caught 4 little bonito on my sabiki at the same time. What a tangled up mess that was! I could see a big school of them on my FF. Water temp was 66 degrees.

Snags 08-20-2016 06:20 PM

Didn't see any Bonito on Thursday. Too bad. The big ones are fun on light tackle. Just big macs and heaps of smalller bait. Around 5 to 6 in. Not sure what they were as I didn't have a sabiki. Used a 1/2 oz hopkins with a single hook to make bait. Probably why I only got the larger macs. Big bait, big fish. At least that's what I was hoping for. Oh well. If wishes were fishes.

King Saba 08-20-2016 11:22 PM

Macs don't count as skunk beaters?

Dave Legacy 08-21-2016 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 267685)

No more than sand crabs, right? Aren't macs the sand crab of kayak fishing?

Snags 08-21-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 267685)

I believe that macs over 10 in. are officially recognized by the IFGA as skunk beaters.:D

Harry Hill 08-21-2016 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snags (Post 267694)
I believe that macs over 10 in. are officially recognized by the IFG as skunk beaters.:D

since I will eat the occasional mackerel I am never skunked if I can bait

kirkdavis 08-21-2016 07:31 AM

Seldom Skunked

I'm of a mind that if it makes my pole bend and is not some inanimate object like kelp or a rock or Grandma's combat boot, it gives me the thrill of the bite and the "I wonder what's at the other end", then I have not been skunked. I caught my first WSB yesterday, but it was only 22" so I had to release it, which meant I could not eat it. But I was stoked at catching it! You all can have whatever you want as a definition of "skunked". I am perfectly happy with mine.

King Saba 08-21-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Legacy (Post 267688)
No more than sand crabs, right? Aren't macs the sand crab of kayak fishing?

Perhaps you mean Sand Dabs? Those things don't count as skunk beaters! They're bait stealers IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snags (Post 267694)
I believe that macs over 10 in. are officially recognized by the IFGA as skunk beaters.:D

On 2lb line class they make screaming drag runs!

alanw 08-21-2016 05:38 PM

Yep, water down to 63.5° this afternoon and windy. Lizards, baby Croakers, and Macs on the Sabiki. Battled the wind for nothing else.

Dave Legacy 08-22-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 267730)
Perhaps you mean Sand Dabs? Those things don't count as skunk beaters! They're bait stealers IMO.

Nope, Sand Crabs. I was comparing a sand crab to a mackerel as an important bait item; My roots are in surf fishing. I could see someone not counting a fish they caught to be used as bait.

King Saba 08-23-2016 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Legacy (Post 267811)
Nope, Sand Crabs. I was comparing a sand crab to a mackerel as an important bait item; My roots are in surf fishing. I could see someone not counting a fish they caught to be used as bait.

True. I tend to base a fish's worth based on the fight they give.

Snags 08-23-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 267822)

Ditto

Harry Hill 08-23-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 267822)

I like a good fight but I think edibility us just as important. So if I catch a mess of sand dabs I'm a happy camper, the same with rock fish. If I catch a halilbut that is keeper size I am happy. As a matter of fact, just fishing makes me happy.

PapaDave 08-23-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 267836)
I like a good fight but I think edibility us just as important. So if I catch a mess of sand dabs I'm a happy camper, the same with rock fish. If I catch a halibut that is keeper size I am happy. As a matter of fact, just fishing makes me happy.

I'm with you...

King Saba 08-24-2016 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 267836)
I like a good fight but I think edibility us just as important. So if I catch a mess of sand dabs I'm a happy camper, the same with rock fish. If I catch a halilbut that is keeper size I am happy. As a matter of fact, just fishing makes me happy.

Agreed. If I can go home with a meal and had fun then I'm a happy camper.

ol'skool 08-24-2016 01:36 PM

X2

InfidelYak 09-05-2016 07:27 AM

What were you using to troll with for those macs at the harbor mouth? Only thing I can ever hook up there at that spot are leopard sharks lol