Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 10/7 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33533)

drunkentiger765 10-07-2018 06:52 PM

LJ 10/7

Not much to report.

Has been a while for me and starting to get back out regularly.
Launching was a bit rough. Got a new inflatable PFD since I never wore my standard one and the tragedy of Dave made me take safety a bit more seriously.

Well when launching found out that an inflatable PFD is a bit sensitive, one C02 canister down....

Water was rough. Wind not too bad but the swells were white caps every now and again.

Trolled around, couple of football size bonito but not much else.

Stay safe out there.

Semper Fi-shing 10-07-2018 07:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the report. I caught a nice size bonita as well. Too bad it wasnt a wahoo. He volunteered to be lobster bait anyhow

FISH11 10-07-2018 08:18 PM

Sweet results on repurposing the Bonita.

bender0240 10-08-2018 09:16 AM

Thanks for the report. I was out on Saturday the surface salad/junk was all over. Has it improved at all?

YakDout 10-08-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bender0240 (Post 297673)
Thanks for the report. I was out on Saturday the surface salad/junk was all over. Has it improved at all?

It’s from lobster season opening. The boats and ropes from hoops and traps chop up the salad. It probably won’t get better anytime soon. Maybe worse as the season progresses.

drunkentiger765 10-08-2018 10:43 AM

There was still alot of kelp all over the place but did find it manageable to troll around. Just had to pay attention the whole time to make sure I didnt cross any of the larger floats

Semper Fi-shing 10-08-2018 11:19 AM

Yeah, it was pretty much an obstacle course everywhere but luckily I managed to avoid getting my rudder or trolled mackerel stuck or dragging anyone hoops.

FISH11 10-08-2018 02:05 PM

It's normal during lobster season. It's like a slalom course if you want to troll, and you got to keep the line a lot shorter than usual.

deptrai 10-14-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkentiger765 (Post 297665)
Got a new inflatable PFD since I never wore my standard one and the tragedy of Dave made me take safety a bit more seriously.

Well when launching found out that an inflatable PFD is a bit sensitive, one C02 canister down....

The kayak-specific PFDs are super comfortable. I wear my Mustang inflatable on the boat and NRS Chinook on the kayak.

Dave

sculpins4bait 10-15-2018 05:28 PM

if you can try to trade that auto inflate pfd to one with a ripcord such as the mustang mentioned

drunkentiger765 10-16-2018 11:29 PM

Thanks for the idea.

Pretty sure I can make the auto one I have manual by just taking out the water sensing pin since it does have the manual pull string.

Usually I dont think the auto is a problem aside from when the swells are really crazy which isnt common at the launch, but that is the scenario when I would want my pfd at its best. haha

So im going to debate taking out the water sense pin and making it manual, or just risking keeping it auto, and if it does go off again then moving onto one of the kayaking/fishing style pfds.

DanaPT 10-17-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkentiger765 (Post 297884)
Thanks for the idea.

Pretty sure I can make the auto one I have manual by just taking out the water sensing pin since it does have the manual pull string.

Usually I dont think the auto is a problem aside from when the swells are really crazy which isnt common at the launch, but that is the scenario when I would want my pfd at its best. haha

So im going to debate taking out the water sense pin and making it manual, or just risking keeping it auto, and if it does go off again then moving onto one of the kayaking/fishing style pfds.

I have one of these west marine auto fill vests. and when wet it will go off. I replaced the cartridge and removed the water sensor, but have always wondered if it will inflate when I pull the string? I do now use the kayak vest, no worries there just has to be on!