Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ideas / Suggestions for downsizing from PA? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30751)

alfsteur 03-09-2017 09:40 AM

Ideas / Suggestions for downsizing from PA?

Hi y'all, apologize if this topic has been posted before!

I have a 2014 PA12 with upgraded turbo v2 fin with glide tech, this beast has a loaded weight of 130lb -140lb when fully rigged. Problem is this is starting to get too heavy & sluggish on the water for me, so want to check with BWE community for ideas or suggestions to lighten and/or downsizing from a PA12.

I'm looking for reducing overall loaded weight, and gain more maneuverability/speed if possible. So 2 questions:
1. What can i do to lighten the load by 20~30lb?
2. if downsizing, what do you suggest? I'm currently considering going back to a Hobie Outback... but that's still 100lb+ when fully loaded for YT fishing

Thanks in advance!
Alfsteur

makobob 03-09-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfsteur (Post 276493)

I have a 2014 PA12 with upgraded turbo v2 fin with glide tech, this beast has a loaded weight of 130lb -140lb when fully rigged. Problem is this is starting to get too heavy & sluggish on the water for me, so want to check with BWE community for ideas or suggestions to lighten and/or downsizing from a PA12.

I'm looking for reducing overall loaded weight, and gain more maneuverability/speed if possible. So 2 questions:
2. if downsizing, what do you suggest? I'm currently considering going back to a Hobie Outback... but that's still 100lb+ when fully loaded for YT fishing

Thanks in advance!
Alfsteur

To reduce weight by 20-30 pounds get the extra tackle gone. If you carry the kitchen sink in your tackle box it adds up fast, reduce rods and reels, do you really need 4-5 outfits If so you will always overweight. DOWN SIZE. As to yak, most now approach 100#, and the OUTBACK is hard to beat now specically with the 180 drive. Fast, manurverable,and stable.

ronbo613 03-09-2017 10:39 AM

If you keep the PA 12, all you can really do is lose gear(or start Nutraslim). I have to carry my kayak and all the gear down a cliff, dark in the mornings, and back up after a day of fishing, so I've cut my stuff to the bare minimum. Believe me, you can shed a lot of gear.

NICKWORN 03-09-2017 11:16 AM

I got the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfsteur (Post 276493)

Thanks in advance!
Alfsteur

Trade for my 2011 Outback! Bam problem solved!!!:cheers1:

Orca Winfrey 03-09-2017 11:55 AM

Or you can get a Revo.

King Saba 03-09-2017 12:07 PM

Still heavy if you bring 30lbs of crap

Andy 03-09-2017 12:42 PM

I went from the PA12 to a Revo. Downsize your bait tank to three gallons, only bring what you need.

Orca Winfrey 03-09-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 276506)
Still heavy if you bring 30lbs of crap

Ok fine!! I'll only bring 5 rods this weekend instead of my usual 7.

flemdogg 03-09-2017 01:10 PM

I am thinking of downsizing from a PA as well. Revo16 if I do.

King Saba 03-09-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 276508)
I went from the PA12 to a Revo. Downsize your bait tank to three gallons, only bring what you need.

3 gallons? What kind of bait tank do you have running?

diedroid 03-09-2017 01:59 PM

Slayer Propel 12LT seems pretty light.

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/...-propel-12-lt/

King Saba 03-09-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 276510)
Ok fine!! I'll only bring 5 rods this weekend instead of my usual 7.

lol that isn't the problem, it's the 30lbs of sinkers and plastics that you bring.

Andy 03-09-2017 02:56 PM

I use the smaller vitals dog food container. Holds enough bait for me.

alfsteur 03-10-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diedroid (Post 276516)
Slayer Propel 12LT seems pretty light.

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/...-propel-12-lt/

Thanks for the suggestion, this looks really promising! Did consider Native boats before i jumped into a Hobie, but now I'm gonna to check OEX Mission Bay to see if they carry this! Anyone else has tried this boat?

jorluivil 03-10-2017 08:13 AM

You won't gain much speed by moving into a smaller kayak.

I went from an Outback to a PA 14 and despite the fact that the PA is larger and heavier it moves through the water better than my outback. Unless your average fishing trip is 15-20 miles+ I would suggest you stay with what you have and deal with it.

Baja_Traveler 03-10-2017 08:40 AM

Have to remember - speed comes at a price, and that's stability...

I love paddling my touring kayak, its faster than blazes, but I'd never try to reach behind me while doing it or I'd be brushing up on my Eskimo Roll technique!

absentx 03-10-2017 06:44 PM

I think you would love the outback.

Now, don't get me wrong - its a beast too - but in conjunction with the trailer I built for it and a bit of smart loading and unloading, I can usually minimize carrying or having to severely manhandle the thing.

Basically I am able to angle it off my trailer, slide it down at the landing/beach/lake whatever, and then just carry my stuff to it, push into the water and go.

Its a nice stable boat too. I flipped mine once and it was a very extreme circumstance. I ended up completely broadside in a river with about a four mph current and managed to hit one tiny log sticking above the surface right in the middle of the side of my hull, plus said log was pointing right at my angle of attack. This was 100% my fault as I let the boat get broadside...

paddle man 03-11-2017 09:37 AM

I BOUGHT A NEW P.A. 12 LAST YR USED IT 3 TIMES FOUND OUT THAT IT'S TO MUCH YAK FOR ME LOADIND & UNLOADING THIKING OF SELLING AND GETING OUTBACK WILL BE A LITTLE LIGHTER AND NOT AS WIDE GETING OLDER

alfsteur 03-13-2017 08:44 AM

Thanks y'all for the suggestions & input, I also talked to Fastlane not too long ago, they suggested hitting Fred Hall to see new yaks & possibly good deals... can't wait to see all the new toys that I cannot buy! :D

jorluivil 03-13-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfsteur (Post 276658)
Thanks y'all for the suggestions & input, I also talked to Fastlane not too long ago, they suggested hitting Fred Hall to see new yaks & possibly good deals... can't wait to see all the new toys that I cannot buy! :D

That F word is NOT to be used in this site