Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD bay. 4-21 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21727)

stephenG 04-21-2014 07:26 PM

SD bay. 4-21

1 Attachment(s)
Me and a buddy went down to SD bay and were throwing some 3" swim baits for the spotties. Kinda slow then I hooked up with something pretty solid. After a pretty good run I got him headed the right way. Anyway, Is this a Corvina ??? Either way it was a new species for me. Pretty big suprise after a mix of 6-10 inch spotties.

WildernessWanker 04-21-2014 07:32 PM

I'll be the first to say it, Johnny Bass!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Rambo 04-21-2014 07:39 PM

That's a nice catch on a 3" swim bait.... :wsb:

Cadillyak 04-21-2014 08:28 PM

Nice vina!!

stephenG 04-21-2014 08:53 PM

Johnny bass is way off, it wasn't a White Sea bass I don't think cause it's teeth were too wicked and it didn't have the grayish vertical lines. I'm pretty sure it was a corvina but I never caught one before so just wanted to be sure.

alanw 04-21-2014 09:21 PM

+1 Johnny Bass :p

Aaron&Julie 04-22-2014 12:04 AM

Yeah, Corvina, especially if it had teeth like Dracula.

Deamon 04-22-2014 03:57 AM

Silver Sided Johnny Bass...:the_finger:

YakDout 04-22-2014 04:00 AM

Hybrid trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmrides 04-22-2014 05:07 AM

It's a myneckhurts fish!

Nice corvina, must have been exciting on the light weight tackle, from the rocks no less! Awesome catch.

PapaDave 04-22-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie (Post 191185)
Yeah, Corvina, especially if it had teeth like Dracula.

And perhaps an orange mouth...

octico 04-22-2014 07:32 AM

Mouths is way too big for it to be a california corbina kind you catch of the surf. Look's like an orange mouth

http://www.bombolinis.com/corvina-fish-orangemouth.jpg

blitzburgh 04-22-2014 07:56 AM

Nice CORVINA! :cheers1:

GregAndrew 04-22-2014 07:57 AM

Not an Orange Mouth, cause the center of the tail is not the longest part. I believe those are also only found in the Sea of Cortez and a few years back in the Salton Sea also.

Zed 04-22-2014 08:17 AM

Not all WSB have bars. But ALL wsb have a raised ridge/bead along the midline of the belly.

Shortfin corvina.

Hobie-Pedaller 05-07-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenG (Post 191165)

.....Anyway, Is this a Corvina ???

ahh yes - that age old question, we all had/have at some point in our fishing adventures....

IS THIS FISH I JUST CAUGHT.... a Corvina, a Corbina, a WSB, or perhaps a Croaker ???

here's a pic that i always felt was very informative, regarding these similar looking species:

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/...psf26802da.jpg

the top 2 pics are White Sea Bass.
some, as shown in top left, have the more clearly visible horizontal stripes.
although some, as shown in top right, have the sides/skin without the clearly apparent horiz stripes, which looks very similar to the sides/skin of the Corvina.
2 key features of the WSB; (a) they do not have the orange mouth & vicious fangs like a Corvina, (b) they have a small bumpy "seam" sort of like a "zipper", running down the length of their belly.

the third pic in the array, is a Shortfin Corvina.
2 key features of this fish; (a) the orange colored mouth, (b) the 2 distinct fangs in the upper jaw.

the fourth pic in the array, is the Yellowfin Croaker.
2 key features of this fish; (a) the overall YELLOWISH color of body, (b) the down-turned mouth for sucking food off ocean bottom.

the very bottom pic, is the California Corbina.
2 key features of this fish; (a) the overall PURPLISH color of body, (b) the down-turned mouth for sucking food off ocean bottom.

Hobie-Pedaller 05-07-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenG (Post 191165)

Me and a buddy went down to SD bay and were throwing some 3" swim baits for the spotties. Kinda slow then I hooked up with something pretty solid. After a pretty good run I got him headed the right way....

....Pretty big surprise after a mix of 6-10 inch spotties.

definitely a VERY NICE surprise in SDB, to hook up on a good sized Corvina.

they are personally my MOST FAVORITE fish to catch, in SDB.

another great thing about SDB, is that you can catch almost ANYTHING there.

over past 20 yrs fishing in SDB from skiffs & yaks & shore, i have caught Spotties, Calicos, Sand Bass, WSB, Halis, Bones, Macks, Lizards, Corvina, Corbina, Croaker, Cudas, Sculpin, Bat Rays, Sting Rays, Guitar fish, & Mantis Shrimp.

although, i still have never caught a Bonefish, which is often reported to be an awesome highlight in SDB as well.
if/when i am ever able to catch a Bonefish, i suspect it may surpass the Corvina as favorite BAY fish.

but as GREAT as SDB is, it still pales compared to a YT tugging on your line in La Jolla. :D

Dannowar 05-07-2014 09:45 AM

when i was a kid my dad and i used to catch both right off shelter island rocks.

always a nice surprise. Good Work!!