Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "LifeJacket" Floating Lanyard for IPhone (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=14171)

dsafety 06-30-2012 06:26 AM

"LifeJacket" Floating Lanyard for IPhone

3 Attachment(s)
The new LifeJacket floating lanyard from LifeProof is now available. The manufacturer sent me one to check out and I am impressed. The LifeJacket is designed to snugly fit an iPhone 4 in a LifeProof waterproof case. It adds some bulk but not so much that the phone is difficult to handle. It is made from high-visibility lightweight foam that is shock, tear and stain resistant. All iPhone funcions remain accessable while the LifeJacket is attached to the phone.

Attachment 6869
<O:p</O:p
This device is more than just a fancy bobber connected to your phone. There are lanyard connection points at the four corners offering a variety of ways to wear this thing. I like the provided two-point detachable neck strap. A short wrist strap is also provided.

Attachment 6871
<O:p
Unlike the LifeProof case by itself, the LifeJacket is not very practical as an everyday case. It becomes very useful while on the water or in conditons where the phone might get knocked around alot. The added cushioning can supposedly protect a phone from a drop height of twenty feet or more. I do not plan to test this feature.

I did test the floating capabilities. The thing performed as expected, easily keeping the phone on the surface. The next time I go out fishing, I plan to turn on the camera and drag my phone in the Lifejacket around the kelp for a bit. This might be an easy way to scout the conditions in shallow water.

Attachment 6870
The price for this device has not yet been posted on the LifeProof site but you can pre-order now. It should be available to purchase any day now.
Bob <O:p</O:p

SoCalCJ 06-30-2012 06:47 AM

Great review, thanks! Got to get one!

StinkyMatt 06-30-2012 08:37 AM

Thanks Bob, looks like something many guys on here can use.

Someday when I get a "real" phone I would get one.

tmc 06-30-2012 09:48 PM

Nice, I would use it... it beats my double ziplock bag approach : )

I'm curious if the rumored "new" iphone in the fall would fit in this one designed for the 4/4S.

dsafety 06-30-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmc (Post 123505)
Nice, I would use it... it beats my double ziplock bag approach : )

I'm curious if the rumored "new" iPhone in the fall would fit in this one designed for the 4/4S.

I asked the same question. The folks at LifeProof will have a new case and presumably a new LifeJacket for whatever Apple comes up with eventually. The problem is that they get no more advance notice than the rest of the planet about Apple's new releases.

They are making plans at this point based on the most believable rumors, but who knows what will actually be released. My guess is that they will have a product compatible with the new iPhone several months down the road.

Bob

dsafety 07-03-2012 01:37 PM

This just in! The LifeJacket will retail for $39.95. It will be available for purchase ont the LifeProof site on July 10th and in Best Buy stores on August 5th.

Bob

Yakin 07-03-2012 01:39 PM

Is it only Iphone or do they have them for like the Droid also?

dsafety 07-03-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 123922)
Is it only Iphone or do they have them for like the Droid also?

iPhone 4 only at this time.

Bob

Quilted Germ 07-03-2012 03:43 PM

Bob - Looks sweet. How do the pictures come out? I hate digging into a drybag to grab the phone...this looks perfect. Thanks for the post.