Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   advice on fishing threshers (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9897)

calicoSLAYER 04-05-2011 08:52 PM

advice on fishing threshers

well never really tried to catch one nor have i and sure would like to just not sure how so any advice is well appreciated :)

rossman 04-06-2011 03:25 AM

Slow trolled live mac in clean water is the best bet. They have been like vermin in DP for the past 2 months. I've hooked them on live bait, dead squid, gulp and my bait rig in the last three weeks.

rossman 04-06-2011 03:36 AM

By the way, watch the birds. They will tell you where they are. Not the huge bird schools but just a vew gulls or especially terns circling a small area or hovering just above the water, and making a lot of noise. Of course, you make get disappointed, and find they are marking a school of sea bass

Kaijuu 04-06-2011 04:18 AM

Threshers

I hooked a couple Threshers yesterday. One on the plastic swim bait while fishing for Calicos, and one on a trolled Mack. If they're around, they seem to eat almost anything.

Siebler 04-06-2011 07:21 AM

Sounds like you guys are saying these things are getting thick again, Awesome.

Ive been trying for almost 10 years to get one on the kayak without even a single hook up. Got them on the boat but still not even a knockdown on yak. How I do it I have no clue. Ive even accidentally caught YT while trying.

Ive decided this is my year. Anybody with a Bigger yak want to go sometime soon and help me kill one? I figure given the time ive put in I deserve to eat it when I do catch it but my 160 isnt really the best boat to paddle a shark in. Itll likely be a few weeks before I can make it out (unless they come in Stupid thick, then ill sneak away). Who's in?

Jimmyz123 04-06-2011 07:39 AM

I wouldn't mind joinging you on this.

Siebler 04-06-2011 07:45 AM

Sounds good Jimmy.
I guess I could always take a 140 or a WS Ride instead but I love the 160 so its hard to get off of it. Im thinking just a bait tube 2 rods and a small pelican box with some hooks. Keep the boat light and deck clear.

Jimmyz123 04-06-2011 07:50 AM

Are you looking for a weekday or weekend? Weekends are easier for me, but we'll see what I can do. Let me know fully what your plan is and we'll see what we can do. Sure would be fun to pull on one of those.

Siebler 04-06-2011 08:01 AM

No idea, Im off from OEX Thurs-Sat but I am working with Capt Ron on the Point Loma 2-3 days a week as well. My days off are few and far between right now. Really kind of depends on our Charter Schedule and stuff.

Plan is basically launch, get a few baits, troll around, hope to kill a shark, hit beach and Fillet it then grill it. Simple huh? :)

WahooUSMA 04-06-2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having C & R'd a 'few' of these dudes, here are some good guidelines to follow.

Jimmyz123 04-06-2011 09:52 AM

Sounds fun to me. Keep me posted as to when you have time, and I'll try to make that time also.

old_rookie 04-06-2011 10:30 AM

Sounds like C&R is strongly suggested from the document Wahoo provided.

cjthomas 04-06-2011 12:02 PM

I usually have the opposite effect, I'll be targeting yellowtail and hook up with a thresher. They are a LOT of fun when they get airborne...

I'd like to go on a thresher hunt, I'd have to C&R since I harvested 1 this year, but I can offer up the front bow of my x-factor. Its a big yak for me so i've got the space and payload.

HELLSTER INC. 04-06-2011 05:19 PM

What is the best/proper rigging for a thresher....

toadstoadsonly 04-06-2011 07:41 PM

I am game for the thresher hunt I been wanting to hook into one for years. I fish weekdays drop me a message when you guys head out.

paintnfish 04-07-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 80448)
Sounds good Jimmy.
I guess I could always take a 140 or a WS Ride instead but I love the 160 so its hard to get off of it. Im thinking just a bait tube 2 rods and a small pelican box with some hooks. Keep the boat light and deck clear.

C.J you can take the General Lee for a hunk of shark !

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/466b6939.jpg

Jimmyz123 04-07-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintnfish (Post 80602)
C.J you can take the General Lee for a hunk of shark !

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/466b6939.jpg

Where's the 01 and the flag on this thing?

Nic D 04-07-2011 04:31 PM

Siebler, im down. Let me know before friday for the following week.

taggermike 04-08-2011 07:45 AM

I try to avoid the damn things but hook them occationaly when I'm trolling live macks for YT. I don't use wire so they usually bite off. The few that haven't did give a good fight. Be careful with them. They are powerful, much faster than they look, and that tail f'n hurts. Mike

rooster707 04-08-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 80444)
Sounds like you guys are saying these things are getting thick again, Awesome.

Ive been trying for almost 10 years to get one on the kayak without even a single hook up. Got them on the boat but still not even a knockdown on yak. How I do it I have no clue. Ive even accidentally caught YT while trying.

Ive decided this is my year. Anybody with a Bigger yak want to go sometime soon and help me kill one? I figure given the time ive put in I deserve to eat it when I do catch it but my 160 isnt really the best boat to paddle a shark in. Itll likely be a few weeks before I can make it out (unless they come in Stupid thick, then ill sneak away). Who's in?

Really clifton? Ive nailed a few at LJ, released them, but my god what a fun ride. I just picked up my hobie so let me know when you want to go and im game.