Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Really late Rockfish report - Late August (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36720)

AlwaysFishing 12-01-2021 06:19 PM

Really late Rockfish report - Late August

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I lost these pictures but found them on the HDD. These were taken in late August out of Redondo.

-Quang

JohnMckroidJr 12-01-2021 09:39 PM

Little Boat, Big Fish. Those look like Jackpot Winners for a rockfish trip on the half-day boat. Nice share Quang, Congrats.

AlwaysFishing 12-03-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 316149)
Little Boat, Big Fish. Those look like Jackpot Winners for a rockfish trip on the half-day boat. Nice share Quang, Congrats.

Thank you, John.

-Quang

FISH11 12-03-2021 06:04 AM

Quang, those look like some toad rock fish. Sure wish I had found some while searching the edges of the deeper canyons at LJ. Tight Lines!

daperrin 12-03-2021 03:26 PM

Great bunch of fish. Heading out to Redondo tomorrow, hope to find a few like those!

AlwaysFishing 12-06-2021 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 316160)
Quang, those look like some toad rock fish. Sure wish I had found some while searching the edges of the deeper canyons at LJ. Tight Lines!

Thank you, Mark. I've heard LJ have some good rockfish spots.

AlwaysFishing 12-06-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 316167)
Great bunch of fish. Heading out to Redondo tomorrow, hope to find a few like those!

Thank you, David. How did you do on Saturday?

daperrin 12-06-2021 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing (Post 316187)
Thank you, David. How did you do on Saturday?

My son and I went out around the Sacramento 250-350ft. Caught a few rock fish but barely keepers lol. Beautiful day in any case. Using a new Lowrance Reveal 50/200 transducer. Much better clarity and no distortion in 400+ depths compared to my old finder. At least I have a better chance at spotting those big boys going forward.

TJones 12-06-2021 12:55 PM

Toads

nice work.

AlwaysFishing 12-06-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 316195)
My son and I went out around the Sacramento 250-350ft. Caught a few rock fish but barely keepers lol. Beautiful day in any case. Using a new Lowrance Reveal 50/200 transducer. Much better clarity and no distortion in 400+ depths compared to my old finder. At least I have a better chance at spotting those big boys going forward.

Well done David! I use the lower frequency and bottom lock to get a better picture of the bottom. Not sure about the Lowrance, but with the Garmin, I can record the sonar reading and view them on my computer. Just do a quick review to see what I might have missed while on the water, especially on the Solo Skiff, I tented to go quicker to cover more area and might missed some rockpiles. I mark the one I missed and go back to it on the next session.

JohnMckroidJr 12-08-2021 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 316195)
Using a new Lowrance Reveal 50/200 transducer. Much better clarity and no distortion in 400+ depths compared to my old finder. At least I have a better chance at spotting those big boys going forward.

Just curious, Which transducer did you go with for the Lowrance Reveal?

daperrin 12-09-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 316222)
Just curious, Which transducer did you go with for the Lowrance Reveal?

Its called HDI I think, as far as getting one with 50 khz. Just be sure the box says it has the 50/200 if you want to probe deep water. The other name they give it is Split Shot. Thats the one I got. This one just does sonar and down scan (kind of a picture/video rendition). The other main transducer is the Triple Shot which include the side scan. I just wanted to be sure I had the 50hz for deep water which only comes with the split shot (I think). These fish finders are really getting complicated with all the features and technology, which is a good thing I guess.

JohnMckroidJr 12-09-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 316228)
Its called HDI I think, as far as getting one with 50 khz. Just be sure the box says it has the 50/200 if you want to probe deep water. The other name they give it is Split Shot. Thats the one I got. This one just does sonar and down scan (kind of a picture/video rendition). The other main transducer is the Triple Shot which include the side scan. I just wanted to be sure I had the 50hz for deep water which only comes with the split shot (I think). These fish finders are really getting complicated with all the features and technology, which is a good thing I guess.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried the 3d Scan transducer, and wonder if that transducer can also do the modes of triple shot, or if one needs to have a second transducer for the conventional view. I have tried Raymarine's equivalent of 3d scan, and it's garbage.... way too small and too many fake signals for practical use.