Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Maiden launch LJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26080)

finyak 07-04-2015 10:23 AM

Maiden launch LJ

Went out Thursday for the first time and the launch wasn't pretty, I can't seem to paddle my outback straight then my bait tank wasn't working.
Got it going after an hour or so then I broke off my sabiki no problem I have others but I left my weights on the table at home. Thanks Brian or was it Ryan for the tips and weight. Only managed 3 Spanish macs before I lost my sabiki again.
Trolled for hours for nada but glad I finally got out there. I was so tired when I got in I thought maybe I as getting too old for this but the next morning I wanted to go out again.
I bent my drive a little coming in. One yaker told me he keeps his locked forward another yaker told me he always takes his out, any thoughts on this.

P.S. Thanks to all who helped me get to this point with all the usual questions, What size braid what kind of pdf, radio etc.

Thanks,Frank

taggermike 07-04-2015 12:48 PM

I've found out backs don't paddle well and the harder you paddle the more they veer side to side. I some times fish a hobie adventure, which does paddle straight. I paddle the yak thru the surf then put the drive in. The drive won't be damaged and a paddle can turn or pivot the yak better than the drive. Mike

dsutter775 07-04-2015 01:01 PM

:jig:
Quote:

Originally Posted by finyak (Post 232485)
Went out Thursday for the first time and the launch wasn't pretty, I can't seem to paddle my outback straight then my bait tank wasn't working.
Got it going after an hour or so then I broke off my sabiki no problem I have others but I left my weights on the table at home. Thanks Brian or was it Ryan for the tips and weight. Only managed 3 Spanish macs before I lost my sabiki again.
Trolled for hours for nada but glad I finally got out there. I was so tired when I got in I thought maybe I as getting too old for this but the next morning I wanted to go out again.
I bent my drive a little coming in. One yaker told me he keeps his locked forward another yaker told me he always takes his out, any thoughts on this.

P.S. Thanks to all who helped me get to this point with all the usual questions, What size braid what kind of pdf, radio etc.

Thanks,Frank

I had the same problem with the sabiki's. Turners has the 30lb branch lines on 30lb main line. Once i started buying these I didnt break any more of them off....

flemdogg 07-04-2015 01:39 PM

x2 on getting the heavier sabikis. Another thing I do is cut the sabikis in half throw a snap swivel on the bottom with a heavier weight. = less hooks, less tangles, less headaches, 2 sabikis for the price of one, and the most important being more time fishing.

finyak 07-05-2015 02:26 PM

Thanks for the tips!