Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rain 🌧 with rod restoration.....2/5/24 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=37533)

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 05:44 AM

Rain 🌧 with rod restoration.....2/5/24

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing wrong with this fishing pole except the reel is shot, I took it apart and cleaned it and something is broken its one of the first models of Abu garcia revo inshore reels and I can't find exact schematic of the serial number on the reel.
I like the blank it is a Fenwick goldwing I got from Fenwick in replacement for a boron pistol grip I broke fighting a sheephead in LJ. Going to strip and rewrap keeping reel seat and new reel. New quality guides coming in mail. See ya in a few weeks no rush

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 05:57 AM

This will be the third time this blank has been wrapped.

3 Attachment(s)
And the second time by me.I could just slap a new reel on it and fish it. All the guides are still good but since getting a new SLX XT 150 HG I decided to redo the whole rod...I forgot to use color preserve and did not like the color combination anyway cutting and restoring original cork with fillers and finish.
I could take a dremel tool and cut the reelseat out and go with a new one, but I want something original the seat and bank will be original with cork filler
If I don't like it after that I can always cut it off and replace with a new reelseat

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 06:16 AM

A heat gun 🔫 🔥 helps in striping the blank

2 Attachment(s)
Just don't over heat, Just alittle to soften the flexcoat resin and a board knife to cut thread. Most importantly always cut away from your self 💯 seriously

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 06:26 AM

My bank was completely

1 Attachment(s)
Covered with flexcoat to get down to the original blank after you stripped the guides out. Use heat gun and lightly heat blank and scrape the blank keeping the board knife 🔪 at a 90?angle that will keep you from splintering the blank you can feel the smoothness of the original blank

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 06:31 AM

When Im done....

Lightly sand blank not to much or you will change the blank rating, also I'm going to paint my blank black with a Coat of flexcoat light before guide Wapping.
Since all my guides are all still good I will keep incase I pop a 💍 😇

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 07:24 AM

The end for now.....

1 Attachment(s)
Going with a new rubber Finnish ring
But keep old cork.

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 08:06 AM

Debarking

2 Attachment(s)
Or what ever you want to call it 😏

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 08:13 AM

Ready for paint 🎨

2 Attachment(s)
After a light sanding, but not today because of rain.
My new looks

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 08:15 AM

Not sure if....

I'm going to build up the back of the worn away cork or leave the taper look shrink tubing is your best friend

MITCHELL 02-05-2024 08:24 AM

Now that I have a stripped blank

I did a spline check and I'm bummed because the reel seat is alittle off from the factory all the more reason to custom wrap

MITCHELL 02-06-2024 03:42 AM

Dawn really does......

1 Attachment(s)
Cut the grease....Definitely liking this color combination
Rip Toby Keith I love this bar...
With my red solo cup 🥤 😎

PapaDave 02-07-2024 07:09 AM

I'm curious...

How did the end item come out?

MITCHELL 02-07-2024 10:44 AM

Still waiting.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 320413)
How did the end item come out?

On guides in mail next Saturday supposedly
When I done I will post pictures 📸 🖼 🤳 😎

MITCHELL 02-11-2024 09:01 AM

Really not happy how small....

1 Attachment(s)
The new guides are. The old ones are bigger but braided line was not invented yet.
Also I noticed with the small tips because of Braid you get a lot of tip wraps with line pisses me off every time I have to reach up to untangle a tip when I'm trying to cast lures I had that problem on the light spinning rods I built
With the small guides constantly getting tip wrapped.

MITCHELL 02-11-2024 09:03 AM

I should have just went too

Squidco but I have to drive across town.
Won't know until I cast with the new guides

MITCHELL 02-11-2024 09:15 AM

Old tip....

1 Attachment(s)
And new tip. Also the tips were getting braid wrapped with 10 and 15lb braid on the light spinning rods maybe heavy braid won't tip wrap so much we will see.

MITCHELL 02-12-2024 05:06 AM

Curing and inspection...

2 Attachment(s)
Going to give light sanding and then another coat of paint, just because but it's good enough now 😌
A clue to the color scheme.
Can't remember when I seen a Super bowl where the teams were so evenly matched they predicted 49ers by 2
I went with Kansas city even money only because I love The country of ❤️ Taylor Swift 😎 both meaning apply:D

MITCHELL 02-13-2024 05:04 AM

Rod restoration......

2 Attachment(s)
Temporary on hold.
I do not mean to string you along.
The world 🌎 we live in today.

MITCHELL 02-13-2024 05:18 AM

I would much rather be fishing....

1 Attachment(s)
But you can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes you'll find you get what you need. I hope this crook goes to jail.

MITCHELL 02-13-2024 05:58 AM

You get....

What you give....
Can I get me some Alice in Chains....
Man in the box 📦