Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Poor mans Hobie livewell (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23915)

cell128 11-21-2014 10:32 AM

Poor mans Hobie livewell

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm trying to make a wanna be Hobie style well with my other bait bucket parts and this Costco food container. Anyone make one like this? Tips? I don't think the pump would drag on the sand too much or I'd have to be real carful on launch and landings.for some reason pics aren't uploading. Or anyone have a cheap scupper style Hobie tank laying around? Attachment 13895Attachment 13896

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

octico 11-21-2014 11:11 AM

Look at this, you want to put the pump on the bottom.

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/sho..._baittanks.htm

chxh8me 11-21-2014 11:16 AM

A lot of people use those vittle vaults. I think there might be some "how to" threads in this forum somewhere. Just put the pump on a long enough piece of hose to dangle it over the side. It works just fine, and you can pull it in when launching/landing and paddling thru kelp. Or is there a reason you want to go thru a scupper? You dont need to with that type of pump. Plus, its nice to have a fully self contained unit that can be removed when you dont need it.

Or check the online store of this forum. They sell one like this.

cell128 11-21-2014 11:41 AM

I can live with dangling the pump over the side but I really want the water to drain from Inside the tank thorugh the scupper. My current t bucket drains the water through a slit and it builds up all over the storage area makes the yak drag more.. I could just make one hole for drainage in the tank. It will be a cleaner look too.

chxh8me 11-21-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 211771)
I can live with dangling the pump over the side but I really want the water to drain from Inside the tank thorugh the scupper. My current t bucket drains the water through a slit and it builds up all over the storage area makes the yak drag more.. I could just make one hole for drainage in the tank. It will be a cleaner look too.

I put a coleman cooler drain in the bottom corner of my tank. You can always put one of those in, as close to a scupper hole as possible.

octico 11-21-2014 12:57 PM

Put hose at the maximum water lever and let it drain out the side.

igotpron 11-21-2014 01:16 PM

Let it hang over the side. I've played with most setups. The rule 350 on the left side with the strainer facing forward is the way to go. That way when you under way the pump gets pulled back and up and mostly out of the water but keeps intake in the water. Hardly any drag since the pump is barely skimming the surface.

chxh8me 11-21-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octico (Post 211785)
Put hose at the maximum water lever and let it drain out the side.

oops, yah. what he said. I misread what you were referring to in terms of drainage. my cooler drain is an "end of the day" drain.

taggermike 11-21-2014 02:48 PM

Not sure what yak you have or the size of it's tank well, but if the well is big enough you can run the pump out side the bait tank and still pump through the scupper. I did that with the fish and dive I had years ago and really like it. Mike

cell128 11-21-2014 07:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I tinkered around and it worked out good. Can still drain to scupper hole and even use the other hole to pump through if I don't want to hang it over the side. Overall it came out good thanks guys. This should work much better and those greens won't jump out of the bucket anymore lol is this what u mean taggermike? Attachment 13899Attachment 13900Attachment 13901

Cadillyak 11-21-2014 10:05 PM

Looks good. Does it work as planned??

cell128 11-21-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadillyak (Post 211829)
Looks good. Does it work as planned??

Battery was dead charging overnight but should work good .. Hopefully I get to try it this sunday.... Need to get some pad eyes to get it strapped down better