Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Getting closer to deciding on a Kayak! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19636)

Sdspeed 09-25-2013 04:10 AM

Getting closer to deciding on a Kayak!

Well I'm getting healthy enough to get serious about which kayak to purchase. I have 2 areas I can't do much about. I don't have the room for anything much over 12 feet. I like the T-13 and the Revo 13 but no space for either plus my budget also dictates a large portion of this discussion.
BTW, I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs.

Any thoughts,reviews of the Ride 115 or the Tarpon 120 ?
Open to others but like what I've read about there comfort.

tks,
:D

Drake 09-25-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdspeed (Post 170820)
Well I'm getting healthy enough to get serious about which kayak to purchase. I have 2 areas I can't do much about. I don't have the room for anything much over 12 feet. I like the T-13 and the Revo 13 but no space for either plus my budget also dictates a large portion of this discussion.

tks,

Ride is a fantastic boat. Great stability even in the smaller form. I believe Tarpon is faster. Call CJ at OEX, he is a WS pro staff member, knows those boats better than anyone.

A year and 500 posts of trolling and you're still unsure of which kayak to get? What the hell have you been doing on here if not research :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sdspeed 09-25-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 170821)
Ride is a fantastic boat. Great stability even in the smaller form. I believe Tarpon is faster. Call CJ at OEX, he is a WS pro staff member, knows those boats better than anyone.

A year and 500 posts of trolling and you're still unsure of which kayak to get? What the hell have you been doing on here if not research :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have a tendency to over analyze things, besides an education this place offers a lot of entertainment value. I had shoulder surgery that has kept me sidelined too. I did buy a fishing license last year, that's progress.:stickyman:
Which OEX is CJ at?

LawDog 09-25-2013 06:42 AM

Oex is an awesome start point as you can test ride. But for a first yak I would recommend going used. You can find some great deals especially in the fall/winter months. Big ticket items to look for is a comfortable highback seat, large hatches (large center hatch is amazingly usefull), and a large rear storage well (big enough for a crate, tackle box, or bait tank). If a crate fits it is generally adequate. Flush mounts and accessory mounts are a plus but is something you can add for not much cash. I've got a 2010 conga escape in good condition with a fishing seat if your intrested. Price is negotiable. Bot trying to push the sale of my yak on you, just putting it out there.

oneyedeer 09-25-2013 06:47 AM

used outback might fit your need

Dirty Curti 09-25-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdspeed (Post 170820)

tks,

My son is 6"0 180lbs and has the Tarpon 120 and he likes his ride. He is faster than me in my Stealth 12 but I think the Tarpon is limited in it's fishability. It works, don't get me wrong but I still like my Stealth better.

Siebler 09-25-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdspeed (Post 170822)
I have a tendency to over analyze things, besides an education this place offers a lot of entertainment value. I had shoulder surgery that has kept me sidelined too. I did buy a fishing license last year, that's progress.:stickyman:
Which OEX is CJ at?

Im at Mission Bay Sun-Wed most weeks. We have a demo of both the 120 and the 115 that you can come try out.

Both are really awesome boats. The Ride is unmatched for stability while the tarpon is a little faster.

Just FYI we are going to sell our 115 Demo off along with discounting the one 115 I have in stock as we will be bringing in the 115X instead. Even at full retail these boats are such a great pricepoint with the seat and all the other included features.

StinkyMatt 09-25-2013 04:34 PM

Shoulder surgery.

Get a used Outback, it's just over the 12 foot mark.

Your shoulder will thank you.

bosshoss 09-25-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 170883)
Shoulder surgery.

Get a used Outback, it's just over the 12 foot mark.

Your shoulder will thank you.

X2 on the Outback ..Love mine...:D

Yak Loins 10-01-2013 08:49 PM

Trident 11ft

Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident makes an 11', 13' (my ride) and a 15'.s

CKallday71 10-01-2013 08:59 PM

I absolutely LOVE my Hobie Outback. It's spectacular. I can heft it on top of my car by myself and fishing off it is fun. I love having my hands free to fish while on the move.

Sdspeed 10-01-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKallday71 (Post 171481)
I absolutely LOVE my Hobie Outback. It's spectacular. I can heft it on top of my car by myself and fishing off it is fun. I love having my hands free to fish while on the move.

Outback is way up there on the list, anybody have experience with the Revo 11?

TheBentRod 10-02-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdspeed (Post 171486)
Outback is way up there on the list, anybody have experience with the Revo 11?

Revo 11 is a bit small for my type of fishing. I fish Malibu and prefer the stability of an Outback in case the weather changes. Also, more room for the WSB on the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pampano 10-02-2013 08:39 AM

I hope you shoulder is doing well! Don't analyze things too hard, life is to short and by the way, we only have 100 years on this earth, so go for it, do it and have fun!!

Enjoy the beauty of fishing and more from a kayak!

William Novotny 10-02-2013 09:21 AM

Just get the damn outback and get your butt on the water.

Sdspeed 10-02-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 171498)
Just get the damn outback and get your butt on the water.

Thanks William, I needed that!:D