Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fishing Outside Huntington Harbor Entrance (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32621)

daperrin 03-06-2018 09:46 AM

Fishing Outside Huntington Harbor Entrance

Hey all, I want to fish outside the harbor entrance. What type of fishing is just beyond the break water? Thinking of dropping some squid or anchovies to the bottom. Can I expect to catch anything?

What other locations or techniques will work within a mile or so of the entrance?

Thanks!

jrip 03-06-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 290856)
Hey all, I want to fish outside the harbor entrance. What type of fishing is just beyond the break water? Thinking of dropping some squid or anchovies to the bottom. Can I expect to catch anything?

What other locations or techniques will work within a mile or so of the entrance?

Thanks!

Paddlecraft can not go past PCH bridge. No access to open ocean. Otherwise there are spotties and ?? in the bay.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

daperrin 03-06-2018 11:17 AM

When did that start? I was out there about 4 months ago and no issues. I launched from the Baby beach/Coastguard station. Do you have to launch from CDM beach now (which I have never done but I see its like glass right now based on the beach cam).

stevie951 03-06-2018 11:27 AM

Newport Harbor? :confused:

jrip 03-06-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperrin (Post 290859)
When did that start? I was out there about 4 months ago and no issues. I launched from the Baby beach/Coastguard station. Do you have to launch from CDM beach now (which I have never done but I see its like glass right now based on the beach cam).

If you pass the Naval Weapon Station, your restricted. The sign states that at the gate for the boat launch (Sunset Aquatic Center).

jrip 03-06-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 290861)
Newport Harbor? :confused:

Huntington Harbor

stevie951 03-06-2018 11:33 AM

Team Daiwa pretty much wiped out the one or two small rock piles just outside the harbor :rolleyes::the_finger: it drops off fast, and I mean less than 3/4 of a mile west/outside of the harbor you are hitting 300+ feet of water. North of that point/out front of wedge is restricted so check maps but if you are determined, imo your best bet is to grab half a scoop from the barge (if in season) or get out early to make some bait and head south either deep in search of rock piles holding some life or pound the shore where not off limits. The grunion are running right now..

Good luck..

:cheers1:

stevie951 03-06-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrip (Post 290863)
Huntington Harbor

Yeah absolutely, but OP said CDM and CG/Baby Beach, I think he has Newport confused with Huntington.. Either way :farmer::paddleersmilie::cheers1:

oh yeah and OP don't forget the squid!

daperrin 03-06-2018 11:57 AM

ya sorry, meant Newport