Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   San Pedro 5/5/19 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34115)

SoCalEDC 05-06-2019 11:45 AM

San Pedro 5/5/19

Went out to Cabrillo yesterday morning with a buddy. It was his first time Yak fishin.

On the water by 0700, made bait by 0730, 7-10 lizard fish and a couple of sardines.

Reverse droppers for halibut and dropshot/jig fishing for bass.

Get a couple of bass (land one, one gets off right under the boat) and head over toward the channel.

Buddy hooks up to a nice halibut, rolls the kayak dumps all of his gear (my gear, he was using), gets back on the kayak, recovers the rod/reel that didnt have the fish, recovers the gaf. One of my lines ends up tangling on his rod that had the fish on it so i give him that rod so he can recover the other. He reels in a Daiwa sealine, a 7' pacificstick rod, and a decent halibut using the snagged line on my small spinning set up.

He lands the fish with this tangled mess, and saves my rod/reel combo.

Halibut ends up being 26" and quite meaty.

We fished for a little while longer, headed back in. I landed a 13" Sculpin a couple hundred yards off the beach and we called it a day.

Great day, great story.

I'll rebuild the reels and we will laugh about this for a long time to come.

FISH11 05-06-2019 11:54 AM

All's well, that ends well! Sounds like a great fishing story to add to many memories. Congrats on the fish! Thanks for sharing.

Denis_Ruso 05-07-2019 07:52 AM

It's often the stories we remember most are when things don't go right.

katchfish 05-07-2019 09:40 AM

Winning!:luxhello:

Bajarick 05-07-2019 11:26 AM

Glad you got your stuff back! And, a fish. Great story. When I started kayak fishing I was in Maui. Used to stuff my rod butt in a scupper hole and put my foot against it. Good fishing where the waves were breaking. I used to ride waves and get hooked up at the same time. Many wipeouts but I always managed to keep the rod with me. Best way to learn!

SoCalEDC 05-07-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 300948)
All's well, that ends well! Sounds like a great fishing story to add to many memories. Congrats on the fish! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 300962)
It's often the stories we remember most are when things don't go right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katchfish (Post 300965)
Winning!:luxhello:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bajarick (Post 300970)
Glad you got your stuff back! And, a fish. Great story. When I started kayak fishing I was in Maui. Used to stuff my rod butt in a scupper hole and put my foot against it. Good fishing where the waves were breaking. I used to ride waves and get hooked up at the same time. Many wipeouts but I always managed to keep the rod with me. Best way to learn!

That sounds like it would be a hell of a way to learn, i can imagine the waves there giving you a hard time.

Thanks guys!