Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   South San Diego Bay 10/28/17 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32166)

BigLouSD 11-07-2017 11:06 AM

South San Diego Bay 10/28/17

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still dialing my Hobie Compass in, but I'm loving it so far, I'm having a lot of fun. I love the hull on this kayak and while the seat is quieter and wider than the Vantage CT, the lumbar support is seriously lacking. Since I don't have any heavy fishing poles or tackle I've stuck to the south end of the bay primarily picking off grumpy spotties.

Today was a personal best as I stopped counting after 20, most were babies but I would guess 5 or 6 legals. I had one baby halibut flash from under my yak but s/he made a u turn once it got close to the lure. I had a great time, took mostly video but I have a couple of screen shots. I was using Warbaits Underspin and Warblade jigs to great success otherwise.

I also met a local Youtube legend Dino better known as "Jig Jig Pow" who looks like he may have caught the yak fishing bug as well. I'm looking forward to venturing out into the main San Diego Bay channel to hook up on some sandies, calicos and halibuts here pretty soon. I will keep updating as I go as it seems the fishing reports have been lacking recently.

Ggiannig89 11-08-2017 04:27 AM

Good report and cool pictures. I haven’t fished the back bay much but it looks like a fun area.

BigLouSD 11-08-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 (Post 287779)
Good report and cool pictures. I haven’t fished the back bay much but it looks like a fun area.

I like how quiet it is. Not much motor boat activity just people coming in and out of Pepper Park and J Street. It’s basically tremendous amounts of eel grass and sandy bottoms so there are loads of spotted bay bass and if you’re into something a little different that Pacific Bonefish is prevalent back there. I see them jumping around all over the place. They are supposed to be a lot of fun on light tackle. Kayaking is perfect there because of all the shoals and very shallow areas especially during a low tide, so most boats won’t venture down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim506 11-09-2017 07:16 PM

I sometimes camp at silver strand and we have fun catching the corvina .I like the easy in out on the yak no waves and big fish

Amish Ed 11-10-2017 07:15 PM

Thanks for the report. How do you like the Warbait underspin? Does it catch many weeds on the arm that has the blade?

BigLouSD 11-12-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 287915)
Thanks for the report. How do you like the Warbait underspin? Does it catch many weeds on the arm that has the blade?

I like it. I don’t run it through the eel grass like I would the traditional weedless warbait, I try to keep it just above the eel grass. With this application I like it a lot. I’ve been fishing the Warblade more and more, with good results. Give them a shot, they work for me and I don’t consider myself a very good fisherman, just cast and retrieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk