Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Makobob's foot (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32495)

makobob 01-31-2018 04:15 PM

Makobob's foot

FOOT be GONE
by Makobob
Foot be gone is a post to help others get over this bump
in their road to Baja. I hope it will help others meet this
challenge head on. Infection in the bone, needs to be
surgically removed if the drugs can not kill it. Sooner is
better as the infection spreads daily.

When it was decided to take the toe, no one did an MRI
to check to sea where the infection had spread. So now
it is foot be gone time. Yes they could SAVE the heel of
the foot but not 100% sure that would get all the infection.
Foot be gone! Many have a little taken and then moore
and moore again. I rather try to get it all at once. Not
just a little at a time.

They will do the amputation just below the calf on the left
lower leg. That should get it all at once. The Dr's like to
save as much as they can. Hence they take a little at a
time. They cut, my body heals in a few months. They cut
again, and I slowly heal. And again, and again.

At almost 70 years of age I have very few years to try to
enjoy my life and Baja. I CHOOSE not to spend them
healing over and over. Foot be gone, let me heal one last
time and enjoy what little time I have left. Baja calls me.

Had I come to this realization last year, I would be walking
on a prosthetic right NOW and not waiting for them to cut
again. Yes it is a mental hurdle to accept this. No it is not
easy. But by planning, and thinking ahead you can get
yourself mentally and physically.

Lets get on with my life. Next week it should be foot be gone.
6 months later I should be walking with one good leg and one
artificial leg. Off to Baja I go, living what is left of my life to
its fullest. Doing everything I can, every day, for as long as
the good Lord gives me. BAJA here I come. Tight Lines amigos.

battleborn 01-31-2018 04:30 PM

Mako,
I am amazed to hear your awesome attitude. Having seen people deal with this. You by far have the best attitude I can remember. Get well. Keep that positive altitude. wishing you a speedy recovery and Hope to see you in Makoville soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

makobob 01-31-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battleborn (Post 289999)
Mako,
I am amazed to hear your awesome attitude. Having seen people deal with this. You by far have the best attitude I can remember. Get well. Keep that positive altitude. wishing you a speedy recovery and Hope to see you in Makoville soon.

Thank you, yes soon. Shooting for early April without peg leg, just on crutches maybe leg by early June. Tight Lines.

Ro12 01-31-2018 08:13 PM

Hope all goes well in surgery
See you out on the water one day

Gr8fuldude 01-31-2018 08:25 PM

Roberto, I totally get it. You're doing what you've got to do to get back to paradise. Baja calls, amigo.

Mad respect for you brother. Looking forward to being down there with you!

:you_rock:

makobob 02-01-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battleborn (Post 289999)
Mako,

Lets go fishing my friend. Will be on crutches by March and with new leg by June. Tight Lines.

makobob 02-01-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude (Post 290013)
Roberto, I totally get it. You're doing what you've got to do to get back to paradise. Baja calls, amigo.

Mad respect for you brother. Looking forward to being down there with you!

:you_rock:

Are you going to fish with me this year? Those roosters were calling YOUR name amigo.

BenCantrell 02-01-2018 07:49 AM

It's not every day you get a new appendage to learn how to use. Hope the recovery goes well and the robo foot suits you. Take care and get back on the water soon!

blitzburgh 02-01-2018 07:52 AM

Sending positive vibes your way Sir! Good luck :cheers1:

Dirty Curti 02-01-2018 08:32 AM

My goodness. I felt like a baby just getting my tooth pulled the other day. You have an incredible spirit and outlook that is courageous beyond belief.

I wish you all the best and hope you get to fulfill all that you strive for in the remaining years.

Tight Lines my good man! :you_rock:

WARRIORMIKE 02-01-2018 09:18 AM

great attitude sir. Enjoy Baja

skrilla 02-01-2018 01:17 PM

They say getting old ain't for the weak. You my friend are the Incredible Hulk.

makobob 02-01-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrilla (Post 290028)
They say getting old ain't for the weak. You my friend are the Incredible Hulk.

Thank you to all you guys. We are all dealt a hand in our lives, there is always a way to win. Get up every morning and give it your best. If you give up you are lost. I am going back to Baja. Hope to sea you all there. Tight Lines amigos.

rossman 02-01-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 290029)
Thank you to all you guys. We are all dealt a hand in our lives, there is always a way to win. Get up every morning and give it your best. If you give up you are lost. I am going back to Baja. Hope to sea you all there. Tight Lines amigos.

Get a Handicapped sticker. I can push through legislation to make it good in Baja Sur.

paddle man 02-01-2018 05:34 PM

UP BEAT TUNE

BOB LIKE YOUR UP BEAT TUNE ON LIFE AND SITUATION GOD BLES YOU HOPE TO COME DOWN THIS YEAR TO MAKO VILLE KEEP US POSTED ON RECOVERY SO WE CAN COME SEE YOU :you_rock:

alanw 02-01-2018 05:45 PM

Good luck and speedy recovery Bob!

makobob 02-01-2018 07:19 PM

Thanks guys I can no longer get up and down in my truck need smaller 4X4 truck or 4X4 suv to trade for my 2015 Dodge Diesel Ram 4X4 crew cab with 8 foot bed. 55,000 miles just broke in. Maybe TRADE for Tundra 4X4 with less then 100,000miles.

Hunters Pa 02-02-2018 07:17 AM

Make sure to mount a bottle opener and pliers sheath on the pegleg.

I hope I would take the same approach - make sure it is done on the first go, not screwing around with a bit at a time with recovery laying me up after each procedure.

Cheers and best wishes

makobob 02-02-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 290040)
Make sure to mount a bottle opener and pliers sheath on the pegleg.

I hope I would take the same approach - make sure it is done on the first go, not screwing around with a bit at a time with recovery laying me up after each procedure.

Cheers and best wishes

You got that right, toe next to big toe3 years ago, big toe last month, now foot next week I hope. If the Dr's had done an MRI last month they would have known they needed to take moore than the big toe. Hind site is always better. Tight Lines amigos.

kirkdavis 02-02-2018 07:29 AM

Slow Down

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 290036)
Thanks guys I can no longer get up and down in my truck need smaller 4X4 truck or 4X4 suv to trade for my 2015 Dodge Diesel Ram 4X4 crew cab with 8 foot bed. 55,000 miles just broke in. Maybe TRADE for Tundra 4X4 with less then 100,000miles.

I wouldn't give up on your truck yet. I would think that with your fan base, somebody can come up with a solution to help you mount your trusty steed. I've seen someone use a step stool with a rope attached for retrieval. It worked great. I also think it might just take some practice with the peg leg, or add some non-skid to your running board. Let us know more detail on the problem, and if we have half of the good attitude you have, we can figure it out.

Fair winds and following seas friend.