Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Outback or Revo? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12878)

Mobsan 03-18-2012 08:13 PM

Outback or Revo?

I am thinking of dumping my Quest and stepping up to a pedal driven yak. I am sorta torn between the Outback and the new Revo 11'. Please post your thoughts. Also, I am not opposed to buying a used one. Thanks. Matt

Adam12 03-18-2012 08:20 PM

Revo.

Gigafish 03-18-2012 08:44 PM

Two great choices to choose from either or.

bus kid 03-19-2012 05:44 AM

Welcome to BWE, I went with a Revo. What are you thinking of selling the quest for $$ ?

Search feature is your friend.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12502

MVC 03-19-2012 06:10 AM

Go with the Revo 13

oneyedeer 03-19-2012 06:22 AM

rent both for a couple of hours at 0ex and then make your decision

TJones 03-19-2012 06:45 AM

testing is a good idea.

i have a revo 13 and and outback. i started with outback. two very different yaks . the outback is very stable, becuase it is wider. the revo is quicker and more nimble to peddle . if you are going to paddle all day , that is when you start to feel it. guys with revos will seem to pull away from you so you are working a little bit harder to keep up. unless you are confined to space dont look at an eleven footer . they trade off will be minimal. in rough water you will also get more water over the bow with the outback. outback is rated to carry 50 pounds more , which may be an advantage if you are a big guy and carry lots of gear. such as scuba diving or hooping or like me carry 12 rods :o. finding a used revo 11 probably wont happen, so if you want to save money, 13 revo or outback is more realistic. most people will agree , none of these yaks handle great in surf , but with peddles you can get of danger zone quicker. if you cant find a place to test one , we can possibly meet up and fish together in future. pm. goodluck. :reel:

mtnbykr2 03-19-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 110470)

Great advise right there....:reel: both great boats

jorluivil 03-19-2012 07:50 AM

The old Revo vs Outback dilemma

xpresso2am 03-19-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 110470)

do exactly that, both yaks are great, it comes down to personal preference.

Mobsan 03-19-2012 08:15 AM

Outback vs. Revo

Thanks everyone that has posted a reply thus far. I am 5'11" and only a 160lbs, so it sounds like the Revo would be a good fit for me. I was only considering the 11' just to shave a little bit of weight and save 2 more feet from hanging out the bed of my Tacoma. What's a fair price to ask for on a Quest that is less then a year old? Again, it will include a Lowrance XD 50 installed by Fastlane. If I wasn't so lazy and out-of-shape I guess I would just keep it, but hands-free fishing just seems so much better. Thanks again.

Matt

RK 03-19-2012 09:37 AM

Your gonna get a thousand varied opinions the demo idea is the best, youll know what you like when you try.
The revo actually handles "surf" extremely well.

seriola_killer 03-19-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 110485)
The old Revo vs Outback dilemma

^^^^^^ This, and also the knee-jerk "Revo" response at the time without knowing the height/weight of the angler and stuff he may be carrying.

fishingfiend 03-19-2012 04:19 PM

I recently purchased an outback after much deliberation. I'm 5'7" and 160. The stability/room were the selling points to me. Though the revo was more agile, I didn't feel it had a lot of space for my gear. Like many here, I'm a fisherman first so kayaking prowess was secondary to me.

Mobsan 03-20-2012 10:42 AM

Good point on the Outback. I am not looking to break any speed records and it would be nice to have a little more storage on board should I ever do any spearfishing off it. This is sorta a tough choice.

seriola_killer 03-20-2012 01:26 PM

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12885

Mobsan 03-22-2012 08:39 AM

Going for the Big One

So after spending a bit of time and research mulling over which yak to get, the Revo or the Outback, I said hell with having a small cushion in the checking account and purchased a beautiful olive drab Pro Angler. I figured you can't put a price tag on being able to stand up to pee and stretch out the old back:) Now I just need to figure out how to catch some fish. Thank you again to everyone that posted a reply. See you out there.

RK 03-22-2012 08:52 AM

Congrats on the new rig sounds bitchen.....:cheers1:
Everyone I know that has one loves it...

Plus think of all the fish one can stash in that hatch the possibilities are endless. you could cram a baby dolphin in one of those

seriola_killer 03-22-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobsan (Post 110794)
So after spending a bit of time and research mulling over which yak to get, the Revo or the Outback, I said hell with having a small cushion in the checking account and purchased a beautiful olive drab Pro Angler. I figured you can't put a price tag on being able to stand up to pee and stretch out the old back:) Now I just need to figure out how to catch some fish. Thank you again to everyone that posted a reply. See you out there.

I did the exact same thing. Went with the PA as well. Plenty of bouyancy to haul my fat ass around.

TJones 03-22-2012 02:49 PM

pa is the bomb

once on open water. congrats.