Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DP 05-30 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31221)

PapaDave 05-31-2017 07:00 AM

DP 05-30

Okay, water has settled down but is still dirty and about 62 degrees. Bait was anchovies, nice ones too, lively. Weather was overcast, the wind was lite, no real wind chop. On the water around 7am.

Bass were hungry early but tapered off. Ran into a school of small barracuda, had them boiling around the kayak, cool. Had a GW launch itself a good six feet clear right off my bow again again, I'm thinking it might be personal.

Caught a lot of bass, some fairly large, a short halibut, several small barracudas, and lost an estimated 10 pound sheephead at the yak (net got tangled with the gaff, was trying to undo when the fish caught me off guard and made a run under the kayak, line popped, grrrrrr). Off the water around 4:30pm.

DanaYakAngler 05-31-2017 07:07 AM

DP 5-30

Were you fishing the kelp off the point?

Masyaker 05-31-2017 01:22 PM

Sounds like those whities love you... nice report!:)

goldenglory18 05-31-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 280304)
Had a GW launch itself a good six feet clear right off my bow again again, I'm thinking it might be personal...

Nope, nope, nope........ :eek:

PapaDave 06-01-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaYakAngler (Post 280305)
Were you fishing the kelp off the point?

No, down around the San Clemente pier.

DanaPT 06-01-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 280369)
No, down around the San Clemente pier.

Papa D. you are an animal! I've not been down that far. It is a long haul and a lot of area to fish in between. I've made it south to the Arco Station but turn around there. Fishing those reefs near the pier would be a fun thing to do.

IF anyone is interested let me know. This way if we do run into a GW... our odds of survival increase a bit.

:eek:

Amish Ed 06-01-2017 12:57 PM

Hey Dave, did you hit the Pipe at all? Any morning sickness wind-wise? Hoping to hit it tomorrow.

alanw 06-01-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 280390)
Papa D. you are an animal! I've not been down that far. It is a long haul and a lot of area to fish in between. I've made it south to the Arco Station but turn around there. Fishing those reefs near the pier would be a fun thing to do.

IF anyone is interested let me know. This way if we do run into a GW... our odds of survival increase a bit.

:eek:

I always wanted to go down that far and mark reefs along the way. I think I'll wait until the big numbers of Whites diminish first :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 280392)
Hey Dave, did you hit the Pipe at all? Any morning sickness wind-wise? Hoping to hit it tomorrow.

I was at the pipe on Monday and had no bites, couldn't even find bait there. Ended up finding Macs closer to the green buoy, and some bass closer to Doheney. The water dropped to around 61 from 65 the previous weekend. Wind was light all day which was nice.

Amish Ed 06-01-2017 01:30 PM

Yeah, I went on a Twilight trip on Sat. with my younger son and some family. I think there was 10 bass for the whole boat (60 people). Ripping current down south (San Mateo Pt), but water was 63º. We moved a lot and finished just uphill of Poache. That was were all the fish were caught, no current and 61º. Hopefully we find a few, if we go. I'm having a gout flareup and it's still pretty painful.

jbl_91762 06-01-2017 07:05 PM

seems like water temps are all over the place but close to getting much better consistently. cant wait for warmer waters and hope the taxmen feel its too hot and take off from the areas.

PapaDave 06-02-2017 06:09 AM

I actually didn't get all the way down to the pier, there's some rocks just north of it where I was fishing. Nice structure and that's where the barries were. It really isn't that far, about an hour and a half or so pedaling. And I usually troll a couple of rapalas along the way. Didn't this time due to the amount of debris in the water.

There's a lot of good fishing spots down that way, it's worth the trip.