Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wide Open SD Bay Halibut (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13935)

KeptMan 06-09-2012 05:50 PM

Wide Open SD Bay Halibut

So I used to fish for Salmon in the Great Lakes, and a lure manufacturer (Northern King) was always consistent. For some reason, tackle shops down here don't carry trolling spoons; all the spoons are heavy weight casting spoons. I ended up ordering a few online. These are 1/2-ounce 4.5 inch trolling spoons. The results in the bay were incredible; I have never caught so many Halibut, Angel Sharks and Sand Bass. I can't wait to go try these off of La Jolla for YTs (Australia-Style).

Give it a go guys!

jorluivil 06-09-2012 05:52 PM

I have no luck catching Halibut....can you sell me one or tell me where I can buy one?

GregAndrew 06-09-2012 06:02 PM

You know what they say about pics and BS right?

KeptMan 06-09-2012 06:12 PM

Google "Northern King Spoons." I haven't looked in a while but I think you are being facetious...didn't you jest bag a bunch of them?

I run them off of downriggers but I am sure you could do the same with an eight ounce weigh. The ones with Chartreuse and Green are especially effective.

Cheers,

Craig

jorluivil 06-09-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptMan (Post 121354)
I haven't looked in a while but I think you are being facetious...didn't you jest bag a bunch of them?

Greg?

KeptMan 06-09-2012 06:21 PM

Your loss,

I cought two going twelve yesterday. Look, I am just trying to share what has worked for me with the group. I don't take pictures unless they are over thirty.

I did get a heck of a lot of shorts but I also managed to donate close to 100-lb of Halibut over the last two days.

DanaPT 06-09-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 121353)
You know what they say about pics and BS right?

photos please. <label for="rb_iconid_11">http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/i...ons/icon11.gif</label>

100lbs is a lot of dead halibut.

jorluivil 06-09-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 121358)
photos please. <label for="rb_iconid_11">http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/i...ons/icon11.gif</label>

100lbs is a lot of dead halibut.

especially when you consider that the average legal weighs well under 10lbs, I could be wrong but I believe a 22" hali weighs right around 5lbs.

slobslayer 06-09-2012 08:35 PM

Who are you donating these halibut to? Less fortunate halibut fisherman like myself...

Aaron&Julie 06-09-2012 09:11 PM

Well, this is one way to TRY and sell a product with free advertising on a kayak fishing website. The only problem is you did no research. Everyone here knows how much BS this is, since there are no 100 lb halibut in California, at least there aren't south of San Francisco. BTW, most of us kayak fishermen use our downriggers for swordfish, because they are way deep, much deeper than the s&#@ you're spreading.
Aaron

mrJB 06-10-2012 05:05 AM

Aren't you the guy that doesn't even fish on a kayak and made some half-ass attempt to call me out in the past?

I quote: "Lets stop going all "Red Fisher" on these and if you want to report a weight, use a scale."

Wake the F**k up and stick to sites like BD's.

Chief Gunner 06-10-2012 05:31 AM

Bullshit (also bullcrap) is a common English expletive which may be shortened to the euphemism bull or the initialism B.S. In British English, "bollocks" is a comparable expletive, although bullshit is commonly used in British English. Its common meaning is to indicate a falsehood —a false proposition. Hence something which is "bullshit" is said to be false or intentionally deceptive.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> As with many expletives, the term can be used as an interjection or as many other parts of speech, and can carry a wide variety of meanings.:p

radastaff 06-10-2012 01:55 PM

halibut arnt picky
sometimes they stack up
sometimes they breed
and are aggressive
big counts in the same spot in the same day
are common
every now and then

if u find them
live bait or swimbaits
will werk just as good
as anything else

pick your poison
find your fish
and dont farm the gaff shot

glad u found them
and had a steller catch
hope u didnt keep more then your limit
for the day

p

KeptMan 06-10-2012 02:44 PM

Look, do with the information what you will. I caught 25 yesterday using these spoons. Today wasn't as good on account of all the crap coming into the bay with the south wind. I still managed 5.

I donate some to coworkers but release most. I am looking for my 40+ for the summer.

Cheers,

Craig

bus kid 06-11-2012 04:55 AM

Can I use the knotless hooks with the spoons? :the_finger:

Pocoloco 06-11-2012 07:31 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Old Man in the Sea 06-11-2012 07:55 AM

Thank you for the post- ignore the rest

If you have a real honest technique that works and you want to share it that is Excellent - Thanks. That is what this site was probably founded on....Your spoons cost 5 bucks and you can buy online you are not selling them. Frankly all of the complainers should post their best rig/technique for halibut to prove they are not full of hot air...and if you can get a camera next time - everybody loves the pictures...

Aaron&Julie 06-11-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 121409)
...and if you can get a camera next time - everybody loves the pictures...

The proof is in the pudding, we just haven't seen any pudding.

jorluivil 06-11-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 121409)
If you have a real honest technique that works and you want to share it that is Excellent - Thanks. That is what this site was probably founded on....Your spoons cost 5 bucks and you can buy online you are not selling them. Frankly all of the complainers should post their best rig/technique for halibut to prove they are not full of hot air...and if you can get a camera next time - everybody loves the pictures...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie (Post 121410)
The proof is in the pudding, we just haven't seen any pudding.

I thought that maybe, just maybe he would have a taken a camera with him the second time.:rolleyes:

tasteslikechikn54 06-11-2012 09:58 AM

I might need a beer to go along all of this POPCORN!!!!!

POPCORN BABY!!!!!
:D
:D:D