Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Beware Fri. the 13th! (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10249)

Vikingj 05-14-2011 02:18 PM

Beware Fri. the 13th!

3 Attachment(s)
It started out a typical LJ morning – calm, slight fog, overcast skies, 1-2 ft waves, water temp 62*F, easy bait, slow fishing, etc. It was a sleepy morning where I did not expect the calamity that was soon to develop. I was drifting through the kelp wondering if my introduction to La Jolla 4 ½ yrs ago by Greenjeans & Yani was a curse or a blessing. After getting bit that 1<SUP>st</SUP> day (and having the granny knot to my hook fail!) I was inoculated with an infectious contagion (aka the “LJ Bug”). Here it was 25 trips later with a trophy fish tally of 0-25. Just as I left the kelp, deep in thought, the reel sent out its musical zzzzzzzzzzzz. Whoa! This was definitely not the aggressive kelp snag I was so accustom to hearing. My brain jumped into overdrive- wait or don’t wait to set hook?, 3 sec. or 10 sec. wait? , too much drag or not enough? , pull hard or medium/fast or slow?, Pedal toward running fish or away? T-shark or wsb or..? The monster took off on a straight run near the surface toward my buddy, JB. John quickly tried to reel in his line to prevent a tangle, but it he wasn’t going to make it in time. Our lines crossed and his bait/sinker caught on mine. After frantically throwing off the tangle, my line went slack – another fish lost! Oh, well, isn’t it better to get bit and lose than to never get bit at all? I started to reel in my slack line when it came back to life! After 10min of runs, dives, short kelp tangle, and JB’s helpful coaching & encouragement, my 1<SUP>st</SUP> wsb came to color. Now a whole new set of questions arose- where to gaff?, bleed or not to bleed?, how to get this monster aboard without tipping? Where to grab it (Thanks, John for the warning about the sharp teeth & gill rakers!)?, how to load it and tie it down on the yak? How to pose for that otw photo!?, why is my leg twitching up and down like a sewing machine afterwards? Finally sorted all out and headed in.
Passed a couple kayakers just going out and heard a “Hey, nice fish!”. Looked up and saw Josh and his buddy- asked them how much they thought it weighed. Josh came over and took a closer look – “45 lbs” and his buddy nodded in agreement (right on-after bleeding the scale recorded 45 lbs 1 oz at 52").
OK, enough babbling. Pics can say it all.
PS – Damien: sorry I couldn’t wait!

mrJB 05-14-2011 02:42 PM

Wayne -

OUTSTANDING job and INCREDIBLE fish! You deserved it and many more!
:luxhello::notworthy::luxhello::notworthy::luxhell o::notworthy::luxhello::notworthy::luxhello::notwo rthy::luxhello::notworthy::luxhello::notworthy::lu xhello::notworthy::luxhello:

John

telewka 05-14-2011 02:45 PM

Nice Fish

Wayne you sure payed the price for that nice WSB after all those trips not many people would have hung in there like you did.

Iceman 05-14-2011 03:04 PM

very nice :wsb: Friday the 13th was not so unlucky for some! :sifone:

Aaron&Julie 05-14-2011 03:08 PM

Awesome, great persevance, nice catch. Good seeing the Mafia score. Congrats!

undrH2Ohntr 05-14-2011 03:16 PM

Congrat's....beautiful fish.

Dennis 05-14-2011 03:42 PM

:wsb:.. Good on ya! Congrats on the nice fish. And the report... wave, wind, sky, and water temp.. That's a report. Oh, and "look what I got" is a nice bonus also. Thanks..

Is that the Liberator Mini?

bigbarrels 05-14-2011 03:42 PM

Congrats on your first WSB:)

Podaker 05-14-2011 03:53 PM

nice fish, saw you at the launch that morning and heard you came in early with that monster. congrats.....!

GregAndrew 05-14-2011 04:02 PM

Well done!! Having a coach right there with you can be priceless.

flydigital 05-14-2011 05:00 PM

Wayne, congrats buddy!!!!!

I had a feeling it would happen while I was away! You were definitely due. All those no-fish LJ trips suddenly become all worth it eh?

Great pics and story... I will finally get a chance to get back out there for more LJ humiliation this Thursday. In other words, anyone who wants a decent chance at a nice fish should avoid Thursday at all costs. :biggrinjester:

:cheers1:

premo 05-14-2011 05:46 PM

congratulation Wayne.

bellcon 05-14-2011 05:56 PM

Congrats on a great catch
:cheers1:

Bummer
I thought the Damien comment might have been a hint that he scored too

It will come Damien
:wsb:
It will come

GBF 05-14-2011 06:08 PM

Killer fish.......very nice going

GBF

roadx 05-14-2011 06:40 PM

nice fish :cheers1: your going to eating good this weekend

theluckypig 05-14-2011 07:00 PM

:cheers1: suddenly 0-7 isn't so bad... :)

roby 05-14-2011 07:55 PM

One helluva fish...congrats!!

yani 05-14-2011 08:04 PM

Wow Wayne!! What a fish!! Nice job on keeping your cool.
I hope this is the beginning of many more to come!!

Flyfisher70 05-14-2011 08:25 PM

It took quite bit of time on the water, it's definitely a very well earned fish, congrats on an excellent catch.

Amish Ed 05-14-2011 09:31 PM

Talk about patience, but what a sweet payoff. I'm guessing you'll be back?